is the Air for me? wifi/range?
713 7 2018-2-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
puckhead85
lvl.2
United States

I work in broadcast and i'm fascinated at the video aspects drones can do these days.  I've wanted one for a while but never pulled the trigger.  There were rumors at work that things were changing and i might be laid off.  (i survived the cut!) In preparation for this I signed up for a class at my local college to prepare for the FAA test.
I've flown a friends Mavic Pro a few times, but was holding off for the update.  Then the Air was released it's almost what i want in my first drone purchase.  The big thing I  didn't like on the Mavic Pro is no back sensors.  Then the Air shows up and it seems like everything I want in a drone, smaller size, back senors, price, 4k30. But doing my homework I found it uses Wifi. and all the issues the Spark has as me second guessing myself.  Living on Long Island NY where i'm surrounded my houses, K-marts, and every store known to man i'm concerned about connection issues and i'm having second guesses on it.  

Do I hold out for the Mavic Pro 2.  Rumors suggest March... I start my class tomorrow and I would like a drone of my own. (not needed) but I thought maybe meet up with a few classmates and go fly after class.  But this whole Wifi thing is killing me.  I've seen a few youtube videos and they are out in the middle of nowhere.  Anyone have any experance is the burbs/city?

If I start doing this commerically/work obv. the image quality isn't up to par. but for a hobby now will this wifi/range thing kill me.  

2018-2-2
Use props
windgate
lvl.3
United States

I'm right there with you on this topic and posted something similar earlier this evening. I noticed as well that most of the videos posted were in remote areas where there would likely be less interference from other Wifi sources. I too was struggling whether to wait for the Mavic Pro 2, but figured as good as it will likely be, that it will be well above my $1k cutoff. Hope you hear some replies that be more helpful than mine. And I agree with you as far as commercial work, a 1" (as seen in the P4P) is more appropriate than the 1/2.3.
2018-2-2
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I'm sorry to tell you that we have not got any news of the Mavic Pro 2. Thanks for your attention, we'll release on our website when it is ready.
2018-2-2
Use props
Hexacopter
lvl.4

Australia

Most hobby drones use the 2.4 GHz band (and occasionally the 5.8 GHz band). So does your and your neighbour's WiFi devices. One of the biggest bandwidth hogs is the video downlink (the more bandwidth one demands the more of the available spectrum is compromised). That's why dji advise not to fly more than 3-4 machines at the same time. Call it WiFi / R/C / Bluetooth or whatever it's all in the same narrow frequency band

Name it what you will (Occusync etc), a r/f spectrum analysis shows what is happening. Occusync is a fancy name for frequency hopping in an attempt to find a clear band to use to improve signal/noise ratio while competing with home WiFi, cordless mice, microwave ovens, alarm systems and every other consumer device that is competing for a bit of the 2.4 GHz spectrum.

* hex *

2018-2-3
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I'm from Long Island, but moved out to the Southwest part of the Country 10 years ago before drone flying was popular. I've been in the hobby since the 1980s driving Tamiya RC cars around Long Island and I also tried out some RC helicopters and planes. I recall getting good range in the South Shore of Nassau County not too far from the water. I'm guessing you wouldn't find as much interference flying with either WiFi or OcuSync, of course the Mavic Pro would get more range. The only downside I could think of would be flying out near the water and losing video feed from possibly bouncing off the waves? The Mavic Air probably would lose signal and RTH immediately but the Mavic Pro might go its full range and not make it back landing possibly in open water. It's all conjecture because I haven't flown in Long Island yet, but this is my opinion having flown with both the WiFi and OcuSync technology?
2018-6-3
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

It depends on where you want to fly and how far you want to fly.
2018-6-3
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's my opinion that if you want it, to go ahead and get it!   The WiFi is going to work just fine, especially if you stay within the rules that your class is going to teach you.  Even when i had my problems with the firmware (which i have resolved)  I never had a problem with the Mavic Air while flying in VLOS.   I fly around my neighborhood a lot, and I also fly a lot where I work, which is  in the middle of a business park surrounded by the likes of WalMart, and everything that comes with a Walmart.  I have not had a problem.  And even in the  midst of my problems, I was still able to get 800-1000 feet before experiencing issues.

The Mavic Air is a sturdy, well built aircraft, and you could do far worse.  And if DJI does announce a Mavic Pro II in March, you'll be 9 months into this one and you'll be ready to buy a second one anyway.

As for the camera not being up to par for commercial work,  I'd argue that point.  the 4k30 camera creates beautiful shots and images.  the tripod mode makes it feel like you've got a camera on a pole.  The only thing that is lacking is the ability to change focal point, as it is fixed focus.    But this is a personal preference.  

I would say get the Mavic Air, and start your journey.  Once you've made a few dollars, then start looking at the really high end models, such as the Inspire2.  (or if you're making the REALLY big bucks, the Matrice)
2018-6-4
Use props
Neal McGuire
lvl.2

United States

We currently use the MA for commercial real estate photography. For us, we are not really too worried about the range. We are generally going to be within a few hundred feet. For us the size and price are more important that the range.
2018-6-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules