WARNING Mavi Air: Total loss of video and rc without SD card
1317 19 2018-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Philip Birgersson
lvl.2
Ireland

Ok, so I will be returning my drone since its faulty. But just wanted to warn people.

Without SD card everything looks fine until you slide the take-off bar. Once that happens and it lifts off both video and rc signal is tottally gone.
This is a huge problem since when this happens the controllers wont work and you cant land it either. Basically you need to wait til battery dies and it falls down and breaks, or try to grab it with your hands and try to turn it off.

With SD card it works, I dont know if it works good or bad. I tried in city area of my rooftop and I get 100 meters then video goes but atleast I can either hit RTH or steer it back.

Just be warned, these units seems to be faulty. All my firmware is update including iOS. I even reset to factory default with DJI assistant on PC. I was thinking of getting either the Mavic Pro or Air, I guess I should have gotten the Pro.

/P
2018-2-3
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

I can't believe that your problem is related to the SD card, there must be another cause.
2018-2-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

That’s a bit of a generalization, it’s the first one I’ve seen this happening , “these units seem to be faulty” how many have you got.

You can if it’s possible get your hand underneath the aircraft grab it and turn it 45 degrees , this will turn motors off.
Also when it gets to critical battery it will just land not just fall and break.
2018-2-3
Use props
Philicious
lvl.2
Ireland

Ye well I spent 2 hours with CS yesterday and they didn't mention anything about the SD card. So basically I just sent an email asking for refund. Today I decided to try again as I noticed there was an update available for iOS so I just wanted to see if this was the problem. What I also did was to try with SD. With SD drone works ok again im not sure what to get I get 100 m in city centre. Without SD totally zero video ir rc signal. No matter what there is something wrong.
2018-2-3
Use props
Philicious
lvl.2
Ireland

I also had the spark and it also disconnected like this but 20 m away rendering uncontrollable. Also in totally open area wthout any building I got 50 m max video transmission. I told the retailer that it doesn't work and it took 3 daya until I had money back. My biggest mistake was now buying from DJI as they claim it will take up to 8 days for anything to happen after it ha arrived at theirplace . I will not buy another drone nor from dji ever again that was a mistake.
2018-2-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Philicious Posted at 2018-2-3 09:53
I also had the spark and it also disconnected like this but 20 m away rendering uncontrollable. Also in totally open area wthout any building I got 50 m max video transmission. I told the retailer that it doesn't work and it took 3 daya until I had money back. My biggest mistake was now buying from DJI as they claim it will take up to 8 days for anything to happen after it ha arrived at theirplace . I will not buy another drone nor from dji ever again that was a mistake.

Why not just put up a short video of what’s happening, it might help sort it you could also put up your log.
2018-2-3
Use props
Tadango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232359 ft
Netherlands

Have you tested with different phones?
2018-2-3
Use props
Philicious
lvl.2
Ireland

Not much happening. Just this directly  after it takes off.
0EF51E31-0F93-4CB0-91B4-343D60EDA282.png
2018-2-3
Use props
Philicious
lvl.2
Ireland

Tadango Posted at 2018-2-3 10:15
Have you tested with different phones?

Only have the iPhone and should work with the iPhone plus 7 according to DJI.
2018-2-3
Use props
Tadango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232359 ft
Netherlands

Philicious Posted at 2018-2-3 10:24
Only have the iPhone and should work with the iPhone plus 7 according to DJI.

True but an unknown bug or incompatibility issue with the phone could be the cause also. If you can try with any other device it would be useful.
2018-2-3
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Are you flying with the controller or the phone ?
2018-2-3
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
France

What make of SD card? Is it the correct Spec, there is an outside chance the SD card could cause issues there was a thread over in the Pro area about a faulty SD card causing erratic behaviour, also if you can get hold of the Air from under it and turn it on its side the motors will shut off. Not  a complete soloution but better than letting the battery run down. It shouldn't crash as critical battery level results in a automated landing.
2018-2-3
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

Wow,DJI is really racking up the broken Air's.  I am sure your refurbished one will be better.
2018-2-3
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
France

Probably PICNIC faults as they say in my world
2018-2-3
Use props
Philicious
lvl.2
Ireland

Tried everything now even on an android phone, then with the SD the Air lost all signal att approx 3 m. Very nice product so happy. TBH I dont understand this.
2018-2-4
Use props
Spark23
First Officer
Flight distance : 70577 ft
United States

Have you tried a factory reset and downgrade/upgrade of FW?  That's the first thing I would suggest before returning to DJI.  The comments in this thread on "racking up defectives" are pretty funny considering how many DJI has sold.  Probably tens of thousands of units (if not more) have shipped, and I've only seen less than a dozen faulty reports on here.  Makes me believe the quality control is actually quite good this early in production.
2018-2-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Philicious Posted at 2018-2-4 09:37
Tried everything now even on an android phone, then with the SD the Air lost all signal att approx 3 m. Very nice product so happy. TBH I dont understand this.

I would travel to a new location and test there. You said it also happened with your Spark. Perhaps there is mega interference where you live
2018-2-4
Use props
Philicious
lvl.2
Ireland

Spark23 Posted at 2018-2-4 09:46
Have you tried a factory reset and downgrade/upgrade of FW?  That's the first thing I would suggest before returning to DJI.  The comments in this thread on "racking up defectives" are pretty funny considering how many DJI has sold.  Probably tens of thousands of units (if not more) have shipped, and I've only seen less than a dozen faulty reports on here.  Makes me believe the quality control is actually quite good this early in production.

hi, yes done all of that, spent 2 hours with customer service chat. Nothing works. I can see allover this forum that there seems to be tons of problems with these units. And also, I had a spark first could reach max 50 m video transmission open area in a huge park. Eventually once it lost all connectivity. So quality seems to be extremely poor across all their products.
2018-2-4
Use props
Philicious
lvl.2
Ireland

Bigplumbs Posted at 2018-2-4 12:01
I would travel to a new location and test there. You said it also happened with your Spark. Perhaps there is mega interference where you live

it happens 1.5 m away from me once slide to takeoff. And with SD card in it works and I get max 100 m city central so that could be ok maybe however without SD card I cant fly it at all.
2018-2-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Philip, when you flew without SD card and loss the video and signal, did you notice the message on the upper right corner? Was it the same as you posted on 8#? Please help to ensure if you had unfolded the antennas in front of the drone. And one thing I wanna correct is that when the drone has almost run out of battery, it will enter critical low battery and forced landing. And please don't manually grab the drone.
For your case, firstly, I suggest checking if there is a need to update the firmware, or you can refresh the drone and RC firmware on DJI Assistant 2.
Secondly, make sure the antennas of the drone and RC have totally unfolded and are placed correctly, the remote controller’s antennas are positioned parallel to and are pointed towards the aircraft.
If the issue persists, please kindly provide me with the screen recording of this case and the screenshot of the firmware info (General Settings--About). I will forward to our engineers to confirm. Thank you.
2018-2-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules