A positive post, this Spark works great!
719 5 2018-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rixdafix
lvl.2
Flight distance : 140659 ft
United States

With all the posts about people having issues with their Spark, I figured I'd add a positive experience to the forum. Our kids bought us a Spark for Christmas and though the weather has been less than cooperative, I have flown it several times now and I must say, I haven't had a single issue besides initially attempting to use the GO4 app on my old Galaxy S4. I did purchase a Huawei Ascend XT2 (not on the list of supported devices) running Android 7.0 to use as a dedicated device and since then, it has been flawless. I have had nothing but fun flying the Spark. No fly aways, no crashes, no disconnects, no video lag, it just flys as intended.

I can't wait to get out to some more scenic areas to capture some videos but for the time being, I'm just slowing getting my wings and becoming more comfortable flying little Sparky. I must say, sport mode is a blast. I've got about 30 years of RC experience but all of it is surface time with short course trucks, crawlers, and boats so flying is a new experience but I'm picking it up quickly and it sure adds a new dimension. I berieve I can fry!

As a side note, I did download the owners manual and have read it several times over to familiarize myself with the app, RC, and AC and I suggest doing the same. This is a fairly technical piece of hardware with an equally technical bit of software so please take the time to become acquainted with it before rushing out to fill your YouTube account with cinematic adventures. You might be glad you did.

Three bits of advice I'll add to HELP avoid connection issues.
Stay far away from high voltage transmission lines.
Turn off wifi +, wifi detection, auto connection, or whatever other wifi option on your device that may cause it to keep scanning for wifi signals.
Also, if it has a sim card and is still used as a cellular device, activate airplane mode then turn on wifi manually as any network activity probably doesn't help.

Please learn and follow all laws and regulations regarding responsible operation. BE SAFE!

Peace.

2018-2-4
Use props
rixdafix
lvl.2
Flight distance : 140659 ft
United States

One more thing. If using the RC, keep the antennas as perpendiclular to the AC as possible.
2018-2-4
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

Great post, and solid words of advice.
2018-2-4
Use props
Flighty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

Great post,, so glad to see another having a blast flying the Spark ⚡️
2018-2-4
Use props
SpiralElm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4678 ft
United States

Glad you are having a good experience with your spark, but as you said you have tons of RV experience and "Read the manual several times", that doesn't sound like someone that is looking for an entry level drone, which is what DJI marketed the Spark to be.  From your post it sounds like that you have spend many hours preparing and learning the software and the drone, along with your background you have made it work.  The Spark, when it works, is amazing.

But I didn't buy the spark to be a serious hobby, I bought it to fly around and take some pictures a couple of times a month. Even with a technical background as a programmer I have spend dozens of hours trying to keep this thing flying, something I didn't want to do. That is why I bought the Spark, a selfie drone, because I didn't want to become a ground support crew for something that just will not work without many hours of effort.

My whole point is that DJI has sold us a product that although amazing doesn't match their advertising. Then when purchasers have problems they have left us out in the cold and provided nothing but grief and no useful support.  For example, I have never seen a single "how to" video made by DJI that works or matches the setup that I have.

Glad you are enjoying the Spark, I just wish that DJI would do their part so all of us could.
2018-2-4
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

rixdafix Posted at 2018-2-4 03:47
One more thing. If using the RC, keep the antennas as perpendiclular to the AC as possible.

Thanks for the positive feedback and the good advice. Have more beautiful footage!
2018-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules