Attitude to large, obstacle sensing not functioning
7752 22 2018-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

As an absolute newbee to piloting my new Mavic Air I took it for a spin today. Winds were pretty high and just about every time I flipped the throtle it kept spamming a message about obstacle sensing not functioning. Is this because when throtling the Mavic pitches to an angle?  

Sports mode was off, turned it on once, but the sheer acceleration is to frightning for me as a noob. ;)

Screenshot_20180204-133235 (Small).png
2018-2-4
Use props
Jason WAI
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3136201 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Did you remove the stickers on the sensors ?  Or maybe  the wind was simply too strong for the Mavic Air.  
2018-2-4
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

All stickers were removed, I had not seen these warnings in earlier flights, but then again, it wasn't as windy at those times.
2018-2-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It the aircraft's attitude pitches or rolls too far then the sensors cannot fully operate.
Maybe you hit some turbulent air and the pitch attitude reached the limit for forward OA. Or raised its tail while flying backwards.
You only saw the warning for a second or two right?

2018-2-4
Use props
DJT_MVSP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

Experience this issue as well: you can safely ignore it.
2018-2-4
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

someone needs an attitude adjustment
2018-2-4
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

That would make perfect sense, it was banked pretty much when fighting the wind. I'll have a look in to those logs.

When the first message came I was realy puzzled, because I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my altitude, at home I saw it was saying attitude instead of altitude.  
2018-2-4
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-4 07:45
It the aircraft's attitude pitches or rolls too far then the sensors cannot fully operate.
Maybe you hit some turbulent air and the pitch attitude reached the limit for forward OA. Or raised its tail while flying backwards.
You only saw the warning for a second or two right?

Indeed, it came and went while fighting the wind

Thanks for the help everybody!
2018-2-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-4 07:56
Indeed, it came and went while fighting the wind

Dji may have this setting to fine it’s good to keep reporting it and hopefully it will be sorted in new FW updates.
2018-2-4
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pushing into a stiff wind will limit the field of view of the sensors, so if you drop the forward (or backward) speed it will remove the message, it’s a warning that the sensors are impeded by a high angle of attack.
2018-2-4
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

This makes no sense to me. If craft flies forward, rear sensors are absolutely useless. Even if sensors "see" the sky why throw this chinglish message just to introduce more confusion and distraction? Am I missing something here?
2018-2-4
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-2-4 08:28
This makes no sense to me. If craft flies forward, rear sensors are absolutely useless. Even if sensors "see" the sky why throw this chinglish message just to introduce more confusion and distraction? Am I missing something here?

Both forward and rear sensor messages were displayed at the same time even.  It does make sense that object sensing would malfuncion because the angle of attack differs from the heading.

Might be displayed for liability issues, if you do run it into a tree DJI can say you were warned.
2018-2-4
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

hey losbol - you really want to get into practicing sport mode flying because thats your best bet at survival against strong winds. Seems yr drone was about at its limit - if the wind became much stronger or gusting harder - thats the place where many newbies lose their drone, called a flyaway. The best tool you have at your disposal in these situations is sport mode. use your bike helmet till you feel safer with sport mode - its actually really easy
2018-2-4
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-2-4 15:11
hey losbol - you really want to get into practicing sport mode flying because thats your best bet at survival against strong winds. Seems yr drone was about at its limit - if the wind became much stronger or gusting harder - thats the place where many newbies lose their drone, called a flyaway. The best tool you have at your disposal in these situations is sport mode. use your bike helmet till you feel safer with sport mode - its actually really easy

Thanks for the heads up

I recognise what you are saying, on its maiden flight there was a pretty high winds and the Air didn't really budge much when flying into the wind because of it being in beginner mode, and as soon as I turned that off it flew a great deal better.

Yesterday it wasn't really an issue yet, it maxed out to about 25 kph against the wind and 35 kph with the wind in the back.

I've tried sports mode once untill now for a brief moment, but it wasn't really the ideal location to do that because of lots of obstructions. I saw a YouTube review calling the little bugger an Tasmanian devil, and it really did feel like that.

I'll be flying some more really getting the hang of things out in the open, and for sure that sports mode will be on at some point when I feel totally comfortable in what I'm doing.

It feels a bit like learning to ride a motorbike, take it slow at first, get to know the bike's and my own limits, and from there on take the next step pushing it to while remaining within your comfortzone until you master it.
2018-2-5
Use props
fansf61abd65
New
Turkey

Varmı bunu çözen ne gıcık bir konu
2018-3-3
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

fansf61abd65 Posted at 2018-3-3 10:16
Varmı bunu çözen ne gıcık bir konu

¿Que....?
2018-3-4
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The "Attitude Too Large" pops up even in low wind when you start flying fast in standard mode.
It's actually doing you a favour, as it's enabling the AIR to fly fast by removing the tilt restriction required to keep the sensors operational.

This is one of the single biggest differences between the AIR and the PRO, as when you're flying in standard mode, the AIR disables the sensors, tilts more and continues to fly fast, whilst the PRO restricts the tilt (and the speed) to ensure the sensors can keep functioning, but severely restricts the speed to the point of being blown off course.  

If you switch to Sports Mode, or disable the sensors, it's not an issue at all, but you have to know to do this.
And this explains the huge differences in my wind comparison test:

Ian
2018-3-4
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

Wellsi Posted at 2018-3-4 01:02
The "Attitude Too Large" pops up even in low wind when you start flying fast in standard mode.
It's actually doing you a favour, as it's enabling the AIR to fly fast by removing the tilt restriction required to keep the sensors operational.

Great addition to the thread! Thanks for sharing Ian.
2018-3-4
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-5 06:16
Thanks for the heads up

I recognise what you are saying, on its maiden flight there was a pretty high winds and the Air didn't really budge much when flying into the wind because of it being in beginner mode, and as soon as I turned that off it flew a great deal better.

Hi agian LoSBol
You don't need Sports Mode to fight the wind with the AIR; that's the key difference between the PRO and the AIR in standard flight mode. The AIR handles higher wind as if it's already in Sports Mode as per the video.
So relax and enjoy your new machine!    

Cheers
Ian
2018-3-4
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

Wellsi Posted at 2018-3-4 01:06
Hi agian LoSBol
You don't need Sports Mode to fight the wind with the AIR; that's the key difference between the PRO and the AIR in standard flight mode. The AIR handles higher wind as if it's already in Sports Mode as per the video.
So relax and enjoy your new machine!   

I absolutely will!  I think that this might also be beneficial if hitting that RTH button in high winds, a Mavic Pro might not make it threw the wind trying to crawl back.
2018-3-4
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-4 01:10
I absolutely will!  I think that this might also be beneficial if hitting that RTH button in high winds, a Mavic Pro might not make it threw the wind trying to crawl back.

Actually, my experience of the PRO is that it flips over to allow faster travel in high wind when you hit the RTH button.  I have struggled to manually fly home only to find it racing along once I hit that RTH button.

But again, not everyone uses the RTH button and it's useful to know....

Cheers again
Ian
2018-3-4
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

Wellsi Posted at 2018-3-4 02:49
Actually, my experience of the PRO is that it flips over to allow faster travel in high wind when you hit the RTH button.  I have struggled to manually fly home only to find it racing along once I hit that RTH button.

But again, not everyone uses the RTH button and it's useful to know....

Sweet, that's good to know!
2018-3-4
Use props
HenryHM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 795404 ft
United States

Wellsi Posted at 2018-3-4 01:02

Thanks Ian.. that is why then..
2018-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules