Phantom 3 comes up in PAL mode when I chose NTSC
5198 15 2015-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rogeruzun
lvl.3
Flight distance : 325659 ft
United States

The app for the android phone is working on my Phantom 3, but I chose NTSC mode on startup, even though PAL was the default.  It has locked me into PAL mode and won't let me go back to NTSC mode.

How to I reset my Phantom 3 so it will work in NTSC mode with this Pilot app?

-Roger

2015-4-28
Use props
rogeruzun
lvl.3
United States

I can't get this thing out of PAL mode.  There is no option to choose NTSC or PAL except at activation.  It won't let me choose NTSC anywhere I can find in this Pilot App.  I chose NTSC but it put me in PAL anyways and it won't let me get out of it.
2015-4-28
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

rogeruzun@gmail Posted at 2015-4-29 12:26
I can't get this thing out of PAL mode.  There is no option to choose NTSC or PAL except at activati ...

They are reversed.  This will be addressed in the next app.
2015-4-28
Use props
rogeruzun
lvl.3
United States

That does NOT help me.  How do I re-run activation so I can choose PAL which is really NTSC.  Right now I am STUCK IN PAL and can't shoot ANY useable video.
2015-4-28
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

rogeruzun@gmail Posted at 2015-4-29 12:38
That does NOT help me.  How do I re-run activation so I can choose PAL which is really NTSC.  Right  ...

Have you confirmed that you are outputting in PAL?  Does it make a difference since you cannot output to HDMI?  Not sure what the issue for you is.  Please elaborate.  
2015-4-28
Use props
rogeruzun
lvl.3
United States

It will not let me record video in anything but PAL frame rates.  25hz instead of 30hz, 50hz instead of 60hz etc.

I cannot record ANY USEABLE VIDEO.  The unit is stuck recording at PAL frame rates.  Who cares about HDMI I am talking about recording video using the camera I paid so much for.
2015-4-28
Use props
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

rogeruzun@gmail Posted at 2015-4-29 12:49
It will not let me record video in anything but PAL frame rates.  25hz instead of 30hz, 50hz instead ...

My experience with cameras in the past (not so much the Phantoms) has proved to me that I cannot tell the difference between videos recorded in 25p and 30p (and 50p/60p) - they all look the same.  Even when combining clips recorded at different frame rates in Premiere Pro hasn't proved a problem for sync, etc..  I also cannot tell the difference between NTSC and PAL for picture/colour quality personally, but it might depend on the end result you're after.
2015-4-28
Use props
rogeruzun
lvl.3
United States

It makes a huge difference in my experience.

I need this to allow me to record 2160/30p.  I cannot use 2160/25p

2015-4-28
Use props
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

rogeruzun@gmail Posted at 2015-4-29 13:08
It makes a huge difference in my experience.

I need this to allow me to record 2160/30p.  I cannot  ...

Just curious as to why 25p won't work for you (not that you should have to use it of course, as 30p SHOULD be selectable)?  Just trying to learn more about this sort of stuff.  
2015-4-28
Use props
rogeruzun
lvl.3
United States

There's stuttering and artifacting on the final output if you shoot at 25hz and output at 30hz.  Depending on the shot and the motion it can be hardly noticeable or make the whole scene stutter badly.  The nearest clean multiple would be 150hz which nothing much supports and doing the 5 to 6 frame hold thing depending on your source is a pain in the butt.

You want some even multiple of your intended output frame rate or you have all kinds of issues, especially when half the project is 25hz and the other half is 30hz and your output is 30 or 60hz etc.

-Roger
2015-4-28
Use props
marcovalenzuela
lvl.2
Chile

"he app for the android phone is working on my Phantom 3"
You mean DJI Pilot for Inspire 1 (1.0.10) is working with Phantom 3?
2015-4-29
Use props
rogeruzun
lvl.3
United States

The DJI Pilot app for Inspire 1 on the android version 1.0.10 works fine for the P3 other than the fact you can't choose NTSC or PAL.

The video wobbly/shake problem was caused by a piece of packing foam I did not remove that went around the gimbal arm.  It looked like molded plastic to me.  

Once I removed the packing foam on the gimbal arm the P3 worked perfectly.  I have no more issues other than being stuck in PAL mode which should be fixed when they update the app beyond 1.0.10

2015-4-29
Use props
rickei
lvl.1

United States

rogeruzun@gmail Posted at 2015-4-30 04:07
The DJI Pilot app for Inspire 1 on the android version 1.0.10 works fine for the P3 other than the f ...

glad you got it sorted out rogeruzun.!
2015-4-29
Use props
quast.rick
lvl.2
Flight distance : 549531 ft
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-29 12:37
They are reversed.  This will be addressed in the next app.

So initially should I be choosing PAL if i am in the USA??  Thanks VT
2015-4-29
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The P3 Android App should be out tomorrow.  I would load that version.  
2015-4-29
Use props
wcoleman
lvl.1

United States

On the Android app you cannot switch between PAL and NTSC. When you initially register, the registration process is backwards. If you select NTSC it puts you in PAL. This locks you out of 30 and 60 fps and gives you 25 or 50 fps. This is not good if you shoot professionally like I do.  Once you register it you cannot change it on the Android app. You need the iOS app.

ON THE iOS APP ONLY, that selection is on the little tool selector just above the switch between video and still camera. Once you select it, then select "More" and you will see the NTSC and PAL selector button. Sure enough even though I had registered as NTSC it had me in PAL. Changed it and I was good to go. Thanks to Kevin at IntelligentUAS (my dealer) customer support for chasing this fix down for me.
2015-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules