IOS with OTG
5565 12 2018-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ucel007
lvl.1

Indonesia

Just a quick question,
I just bought my spark with rc, and many have said on the posts they fly with otg cable with ios (and android you need to use older versions of the dji go4 app), So before i purchase an OTG cable for IOS can i get some help with:

1) Can anyone verify on using IOS latest dji go4 app and is compatible with OTG?

2) Also is it neccessary to use the OTG? (many have commented that the video feed only shows little differences)
2018-2-6
Use props
SOUNDWAVE439
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115597 ft
United States

The range is better lad. The current firmware including iOS beta 11.3 works
2018-2-6
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

OTG works very well with the latest DJI GO, and the latest IOS.
The video latency difference is not really noticeable unless you have lots of WiFi interference.
Most will testify to the range being better, especially UK guys.
I can say that OTG does not work perfectly, there might be issues with database updates, while connected via OTG, but it's an easy fix, just go WiFi when you are prompted to update something.
This worked for me with a recent update, others might say different, we are all beta testers after all.
2018-2-6
Use props
dj_dread
First Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Denmark

OTG is not officially supported by DJI yet. it seems working with the iOS devices and latest DJI Go4 App, but DJI says it's not yet released.
it's not a must to use OTG. there is less lag in the video transmission when using OTG.
2018-2-7
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

One thing you need to be mindful of is if you use OTG exclusive you will not get the Transmitter updates.

The check for Transmitter FW update only happens with a WiFi connection.

If you do not check manually you could end up with incompatible FW between the RC Transmitter and the aircraft.

I use OTG all the time but use Wifi to do Update checks.

Cheers

2018-2-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Update to the latest FW
2018-2-7
Use props
drewhoover
lvl.4
Flight distance : 323455 ft
United States

1. Yes, I have the latest version of iOS and I always use the OTG cable with the remote. It increases the playback quality immensely, and you are able to go farther with it.
2. Without the OTG, my playback is always delayed. I would say it is completely necessary. You just have to master the steps of connecting it to your phone efficiently.
2018-2-7
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, there. OTG cable is not compatible with IOS for spark now. Thanks for your attention and we will inform users if we support it.
2018-2-7
Use props
Ram-UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132648 ft
United Kingdom

1) I can confirm that Latest DJI Go 4 work with OTG cable. 2) No it’s not necessary but becomes handy.
2018-2-8
Use props
Roberto Lafarga
lvl.2
Flight distance : 140010 ft
Mexico

WORKS GREAT With OTG, Latest firmware on IOS, I never fly without it.
2018-2-8
Use props
Tlee234
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7897 ft
United States

It works with OTG. Everytime I fly I use OTG with my iPad (2017 - latest firmware), WORKS GREAT. I hope DJI keeps it this way, it's way better to have a wired connection than any wireless, it's basically common sense -- atleast for me.
2018-2-8
Use props
dreamnic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10538 ft
Malaysia

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-2-7 22:35
Hi, there. OTG cable is not compatible with IOS for spark now. Thanks for your attention and we will inform users if we support it.

Is it really that hard to make the OTG support in term of technical point of view?
2018-2-8
Use props
djiuser_PLzmHV9dbfZk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 38560 ft
United Kingdom

No, It isn't. Especially as it DID work several versions ago, so unless they did a MASSIVE re-write of their code (they didn't) they have just "broken" it to encourage sales of their newer, more expensive models.

It's a cr*ppy business practice, and they'll hide behind the "technically we never supported it" line, but they know what they're doing. Personally, I'll be selling my spark and letting people know at every opportunity just how much i dislike DJI and why.
2018-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules