15556 17 2018-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Beau
lvl.2
Flight distance : 345092 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've been on the old phantom P3P platform for awhile, played a little with the Spark, but now have the Air and it's my first DJI with all the avoidance tech.

Up here in AK where I live the ground is pretty uneven most of the time, so yesterday on my first flight when it came to land I was like "Hmm, how am I going to do this?"

While going my old school catch by hand manuouver, the drone of course tried to avoid my hand.

I turned off all the avoidance tech. BUT, it still tired to avoid my hand, or the ground, or something, and contined to gain elevation everytime I tried to descend to my outstretched arm. Finally I just grabbed it as it was runninh lower on battery. Got a few errors on screen like "motor problem" or whatever. I did not hit the props.

There doesn't seem to be anything on youtube yet about this subject,

SO, what are the best steps to land a Mavic Air in yuor hand?

Thanks,
2018-2-8
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

i just grabbed it and turned it on it's side and it shut down.  didnt want to land in the snow.
2018-2-8
Use props
Sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Grab it from the front with thumb and forefinger o the battery latch..
2018-2-8
Use props
jh8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 39685 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Just keep the left control down, the Air will fly up a bit and then descend slowly on your hand.
In fact this works better for MA than with the Spark for me, which I always had to grab firmly to prevent it from flying up again..

You could also turn off landing protection.
2018-2-8
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

AIister Posted at 2018-2-8 09:24
i just grabbed it and turned it on it's side and it shut down.  didnt want to land in the snow.

I've seen a video where they were doing that (turning on the side), so I've tried, but it just kept spinning up, even after keeping it on its side for a second or 2. So then I'd just stop the engines by throrling it down.
2018-2-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Best to turn off the downward vision sensors too to stop it flying up from your palm.
2018-2-8
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Sploodge Posted at 2018-2-8 09:24
Grab it from the front with thumb and forefinger o the battery latch..

That's how I do it also, just mind where you stick your hand to avoid the sensors.

It's not my prefered way of landing though, I've practiced grabbing it from the air so when it is needed, I have had the experience before.  I'd probably use it when I'm launching from small boats and such.
2018-2-8
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Canada

yah i dont like to do it unless i have to , the drone kinds freaks out  so gotta be quick
2018-2-8
Use props
Beau
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-2-8 09:30
Best to turn off the downward vision sensors too to stop it flying up from your palm.

So I did that right, and it still gains elevation when I reach for it.
2018-2-8
Use props
I am Sparkacus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 94626 ft
United Kingdom

jh8 Posted at 2018-2-8 09:26
Just keep the left control down, the Air will fly up a bit and then descend slowly on your hand.
In fact this works better for MA than with the Spark for me, which I always had to grab firmly to prevent it from flying up again..

I’ve done this a few times and always works!
2018-2-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Beau Posted at 2018-2-8 11:34
So I did that right, and it still gains elevation when I reach for it.

Try turning off the whole OA system.
2018-2-8
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I don't care for the idea of turning it on its side.  That will increase the torque as you turn it (centrifugal force), putting more wear on motor bearings/bushings.  Just my thoughts.
2018-2-8
Use props
Beau
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

So yeah guys I've been turning off the sensors and it still won't land in my hand. It still elevates each time I try.
2018-2-8
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Bring a bat and swing when the drone gets close.  It will promptly shut down and you can safely catch the pop fly.  

Since it is designed to land on ground, have you looked into one of those unfolding drone landing rings/pads.  Use your feet to brush away obstacles and let the drone precision land on the flat part of the pad.
2018-2-8
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Canada

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-2-8 11:46
I don't care for the idea of turning it on its side.  That will increase the torque as you turn it (centrifugal force), putting more wear on motor bearings/bushings.  Just my thoughts.

well, it does this when you fly the drone
2018-2-8
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there.
Actually, the Mavic Air doesn‘t support to land on palm like Spark does. And for your personal safety, we don't advise you to do so.
If the current situation doesn't allow the drone to land, we do recommend you to pick another place to operate the drone.
Please fly safely and care for your own safety. Thanks for your understanding and support.
2018-2-9
Use props
jagr19
lvl.1
Flight distance : 60187 ft
Singapore

is there a plan to allow for palm landing like the Spark does? its a really cool feature and a waste that its not implemented on a new product
2018-2-10
Use props
Tadango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232359 ft
Netherlands

Grabbing it from the air has been working just fine. It might not be the safest thing but it works. Just grab underneath from the front it and flip it over.
2018-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules