1966 14 2018-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
briwy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4115046 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Probably a totally useless bit of info but just found that the props from the Spark fit the Air.
They are shorter than the Air props but it does seem to make it a bit quieter.  I find it very noisy compared to the Mavic Pro.
Only tried it indoors as it's raining so I don't know how it would fly compared to the correct props.

2018-2-10
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

general add on info - dji does not recommend using spark props on the mavic air 9they say do not use them). It may well work but if something goes wrong then it will be the users responsibility.
2018-2-10
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yeah, they may ‘fit’ but do not use them!
2018-2-10
Use props
Supong
lvl.4
Thailand

The foldable propeller is ok for light-weight aircraft but bad for a bit heavy ac. The weak point is the hinge which carries the weight and acceleration force.It is not difficult for DJI to manufacture the foldable prop but I guess non-foldable prop is more durable and easier to examine for the damage.
2018-2-10
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

Supong Posted at 2018-2-10 13:50
The foldable propeller is ok for light-weight aircraft but bad for a bit heavy ac. The weak point is the hinge which carries the weight and acceleration force.It is not difficult for DJI to manufacture the foldable prop but I guess non-foldable prop is more durable and easier to examine for the damage.

the non foldable prop was used by dji because they say on their site that it offers better stability, which is a bit odd because shaky mavic airs have been spoken of a lot on this forum and not something i have heard about with mavic pro or platinums
2018-2-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, we don't suggest flying the Mavic Air with Spark's Propellers. Thank you for your support.
2018-2-11
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-2-10 15:03
the non foldable prop was used by dji because they say on their site that it offers better stability, which is a bit odd because shaky mavic airs have been spoken of a lot on this forum and not something i have heard about with mavic pro or platinums

I fail to see a relation between the shaking problems (which have been addressed with an firmwareupdate) and props that could, or could not offer more flight stability. Same goes for comparing issues between 2 completely different aircraft.
2018-2-11
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-11 01:51
I fail to see a relation between the shaking problems (which have been addressed with an firmwareupdate) and props that could, or could not offer more flight stability. Same goes for comparing issues between 2 completely different aircraft.

the information i provided was direct from official dji information on their web site - I was only passing on relevant information to the question that was asked - i was not providing a personal opinion.

To understand this relationship (props and more stable flight), unfortunately i cannot help you as i have no idea.
I am purley a dji client, i have no part in product development or writing of dji web sites.
If you really want an answer i suggest to make a new thread or contact dji..
The fact that the shaking has been sorted out with a firmware update is great - that however makes no difference to what they have stated as one of their reasons for using solid props vs folding props.

If you understood the first point as it was intended, then the second point would make sense.
The comparison is not a negative or sinister comment - it is just ironic and that's why i mentioned it.
2018-2-11
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-2-11 05:29
the information i provided was direct from official dji information on their web site - I was only passing on relevant information to the question that was asked - i was not providing a personal opinion.

To understand this relationship (props and more stable flight), unfortunately i cannot help you as i have no idea.

You might have misintrepreted my comment, I can understand that the use of a prop effects flightstability, and that different types of props will have a different outcome on the flightperformance.

What I didn't unsterstand is why you seem to find it odd that DJI stating non foldable props give more stability, but yet the Mavic Airs shake. Saying you find that odd seems to make me think you see a relation between them. Which clearly has nothing to do with eachoter.

2018-2-11
Use props
XAFAfterShock
Second Officer
Flight distance : 40771 ft
United States

Lookup the youtube vid of someone measuring the prop rpm using the stock props vs the spark props, 10,0000 rpm just to get the air to hover, if I remember correctly that is close to the limit that the spark props can handle, and thats without even flying.
2018-2-11
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-11 05:55
You might have misintrepreted my comment, I can understand that the use of a prop effects flightstability, and that different types of props will have a different outcome on the flightperformance.

What I didn't unsterstand is why you seem to find it odd that DJI stating non foldable props give more stability, but yet the Mavic Airs shake. Saying you find that odd seems to make me think you see a relation between them. Which clearly has nothing to do with eachoter.

i think it is the irony of the situation (as i see it) that you may be missing and which makes what i said come across as confusing.
i will try to explain so you can see my point but not to worry if you do not.
The irony (funny irony) as i see it  is that since some vibration issues with the early phantoms dji seems to have nailed stable flights - they got it right.
None of the next few models (that i have heard) suffer any vibration or shaking issues.
Then one day they launch a new product (mavic air) and in the info material they state as one of 3 reasons why they chose to use non foldable props being the fact that it increases stability.
The only time i saw them said this was with the mavic air and yet it is the only recent model that (in some cases) had the shakes.
The reason i say i found it "odd' (strange) that solid props are apparently more stable is because mavic pro has foldable props and it is super stable - like really so stable even in a stiff breeze.......To me it appears you could not possibly make it even more stable than that. what i mean is: how much more stable than perfectly stable can you get.
of course now we could say well they are different machines etc and i wont argue - but that's not the point.
the point i was joking about is: how much more perfect than absolutely perfect can one hope to get.
To my view since mavic pro with foldable props is super, amazingly, perfectly stable (and impressively durable - i have flown about 1000km on my current set) i thought it odd that foldablity or non foldability would be considered a factor that influences stability.
A final funny twist according to some flight stability comparisons i have seen on you tube is that the mavic (with fold props) is considerably more stable in the wind than the air is (with its straight props).
2018-2-11
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-2-11 06:57
i think it is the irony of the situation (as i see it) that you may be missing and which makes what i said come across as confusing.
i will try to explain so you can see my point but not to worry if you do not.
The irony (funny irony) as i see it  is that since some vibration issues with the early phantoms dji seems to have nailed stable flights - they got it right.

Thanks for elaborating, I can see where you are coming from

It doesn't surprise me though that DJI, even at presentation, elaborated and justified as to why they didn't use foldable props. It's better to give that information at forehand then to keep answering the questions, which were bound to be asked as to why they choose to go for non-foldable props.

If they thunk that foldable props would do the Mavic Air any good, they probably would have fitted them.

2018-2-11
Use props
Mullheliflier
First Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have 2 Mavics, my first has never shown any issues with the 8331 props and flies perfectly smoothly. My other shakes badly like the one in the video. I went back to the original props which sorted it. I compared the first set to the later ones this week. The original ones that fly well are fairly loose when you fold them back. The ones that cause the shake are pretty tight. I was planning to give them some hard flying this weekend as I suspect they need bedded in as suggested above. Unfortunately constant snow showers have prevented this. I also suspect that the cold has an impact on them.
2018-2-11
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-11 07:17
Thanks for elaborating, I can see where you are coming from

It doesn't surprise me though that DJI, even at presentation, elaborated and justified as to why they didn't use foldable props. It's better to give that information at forehand then to keep answering the questions, which were bound to be asked as to why they choose to go for non-foldable props.

the sleek foldable design of the air makes it so that foldable props are not required and would not add any benefit / or solve any problems (because the design is perfect with solid props)
2018-2-11
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-2-11 07:45
the sleek foldable design of the air makes it so that foldable props are not required and would not add any benefit / or solve any problems (because the design is perfect with solid props)

So it seams ;)

I actually couldn't care less that in has non foldable props or not, it fits in its small case perfectly.
2018-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules