ok to change dji spark battery while plugged in?
2483 14 2018-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JohnRaggio
lvl.2
Flight distance : 30794 ft
United States

I have two spark batteries.  After one is done charging is it OK to remove the first battery and connect the second with the charger still connected?  Can this hurt the spark or the battery?  It's not a big deal to disconnect the plug, but figured the less times I connect / remove the micro usb the better.

Thanks,
John
2018-2-10
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't think I would do that. If nothing else, the contacts might spark and cause them to pit.
2018-2-10
Use props
dji TO88
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4678 ft

Canada

I wouldn't think it would matter since these are smart chargers and would build up a charge current once it analyzes the battery before it goes into fast charge mode.
2018-2-10
Use props
JohnRaggio
lvl.2
United States

dji TO88 Posted at 2018-2-10 21:14
I wouldn't think it would matter since these are smart chargers and would build up a charge current once it analyzes the battery before it goes into fast charge mode.

I don't have the fly more charger, but rather I am charging with the spark itself.  The Spark is off at this point for sure.  I am pretty sure I read that we should not remove the battery while the Spark is powered on, but didn't see anything about removing battery while it is charging.
2018-2-11
Use props
Mullheliflier
First Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I take the charged batteries out of the charger all the time. I don’t think it causes any problems.
2018-2-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I wouldn't recommend it!
2018-2-11
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

Why not. Normal procedure for charging a battery is to power on the charger, and then insert the battery.
Otherwise battery current could run backwards into the charger, which is very little in this case.

For extra confusion: The charger resides inside the battery.
The spark gets 5, 9 or 12 Volts, whatever it negotiates to from the USB power supply.
A DC converter inside the spark converts that to 13.05V.
When the battery pack sees this voltage, it activates it’s charging circuit.
2018-2-11
Use props
Mullheliflier
First Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I thought you were referring to the three battery charger. I think it would be better to unplug the charger if charging the battery in the Spark, swap batteries over and plug the charge cable to refresh the charging process. I could well be wrong
2018-2-11
Use props
dji TO88
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4678 ft

Canada

This is what I found with a wattmeter connected to the input power when a battery has been fully charged the DJI Power supply / charger will draw approx 2 watts when you swap another battery that requires to be charged the charger will draw 12 watts this is now in the charge mode.
Once a battery has been fully charged the DJI Power supply / charger shuts off or goes into the trickle charge mode which shouldn't cause any issues when swapping batteries  and won't cause any sparking on battery terminals.
2018-2-11
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, there. I would not recommend you do that. Please change the battery when the drone is disconnected with the charger. Thanks for your support.
2018-2-12
Use props
JohnRaggio
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for the replies folks, especially the one from DJI staff.
2018-2-12
Use props
fansc19dfc9e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 161319 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-2-12 01:45
Hi, there. I would not recommend you do that. Please change the battery when the drone is disconnected with the charger. Thanks for your support.

Can i ask why this is pleas
2018-5-9
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

OPk, I do not charge via the Spark.
But: I do exactly that, pulling, pluging, when I am using the bay.
Since it is the same engeneering, I assume the answer in #3 has a point!
2018-5-10
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fansc19dfc9e Posted at 2018-5-9 23:43
Can i ask why this is pleas

Since spark is connected with charger, there is still electric current when you change another battery.
2018-5-11
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Japan

There is no such problem.
2018-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules