1254 15 2018-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
theinfinate79
lvl.2
Flight distance : 405344 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hey guys, Just wondering if anyone can help me here.  Yesterday i went to a spot where there was no mobile reception so my P4P couldn't connect to any satellites.  I couldn't fly it above around 10 metres as it said maximum altitude reached and the weird thing is, it didnt hover still.  It was doing sparatic movements like going up and left without me touching the controls.  When i  touched the controls it seemed to overide this weird behaviour untill i was flying towards a waterfall (in tripod mode so it should have stopped) but it didnt, i pulled back but it just flew straight into the waterfall and got drenched! Luck i was able to reef it out and rip the batter out and take a hair dry it to the internals as quick as i could and it's alright but dang, i can't have this weird behaviour
2018-2-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

'Yesterday i went to a spot where there was no mobile reception so my P4P couldn't connect to any satellites. '

Mobile reception has nothing to do with the connection to GPS satellites, the aircraft will see the satellites OK as long as it is out in the open. However you do need to log in to the DJI server before flying, once logged in, do not log out and your aircraft should not be range restricted.
2018-2-10
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Wow that really sucks to hear i hope you get it going ok.
I recommend not using the battery again if it got wet and place the drone in rice for a few days or even a week to make sure its really dry before you fly again.
Just a question for you why did you fly if you knew you were having issues from the start?
The smart thing to do would be to not take off in the first place without gps and rth set.
Note* once the battery is wet ie under water it becomes very unsafe to fly with i would recommend disposing of that battery and getting a new one.
You may need to dissasemble the drone to make sure you dry it out correctly.
Luckily it was fresh water so you may be lucky and get it back up and running
2018-2-10
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

Mobile reception has nothing to do with finding satelites the gps is located within the drone itself and is completly independent of the rc or the device.
As far as the sporadic movements this could be due to the fact you were flying near a watter fall which will cause a large amount of turbulance in the air near it.
2018-2-10
Use props
Andrew245
lvl.2

Canada

I bet that sparatic movement was your VPS taking control over water... next time you are in an area like that turn that thing off
2018-2-10
Use props
theinfinate79
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2018-2-10 20:57
'Yesterday i went to a spot where there was no mobile reception so my P4P couldn't connect to any satellites. '

Mobile reception has nothing to do with the connection to GPS satellites, the aircraft will see the satellites OK as long as it is out in the open. However you do need to log in to the DJI server before flying, once logged in, do not log out and your aircraft should not be range restricted.

how would i log into the server if i have no reception?  I trekked to the spot so its not like i can leave everything turned on?
2018-2-10
Use props
theinfinate79
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-2-10 21:00
Wow that really sucks to hear i hope you get it going ok.
I recommend not using the battery again if it got wet and place the drone in rice for a few days or even a week to make sure its really dry before you fly again.
Just a question for you why did you fly if you knew you were having issues from the start?

I should have taken it straight down yes i know but it didn't seem like it was too much of an issue as i could override it and it was fine for 10 minutes. I was lucky that it landed upside down in a shallow pool and the battery itself didn't seem to get wet.
2018-2-10
Use props
theinfinate79
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-2-10 21:09
Mobile reception has nothing to do with finding satelites the gps is located within the drone itself and is completly independent of the rc or the device.
As far as the sporadic movements this could be due to the fact you were flying near a watter fall which will cause a large amount of turbulance in the air near it.

Oh really, i just presumed that because i didn't have any reception on my phone that the drone couldn't connect to the servers and satellites.  No it was a very small waterfall so there was no wind turbulence
2018-2-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

theinfinate79 Posted at 2018-2-10 21:22
how would i log into the server if i have no reception?  I trekked to the spot so its not like i can leave everything turned on?

You log in when you are home, there is a tutorial on it here I think. Once you log in, you do not log out, so that next time you go out to a location it will still be logged in from last time.
2018-2-10
Use props
theinfinate79
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2018-2-10 21:32
You log in when you are home, there is a tutorial on it here I think. Once you log in, you do not log out, so that next time you go out to a location it will still be logged in from last time.

ok thanks i'l look for it now
2018-2-10
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

theinfinate79 Posted at 2018-2-10 21:25
I should have taken it straight down yes i know but it didn't seem like it was too much of an issue as i could override it and it was fine for 10 minutes. I was lucky that it landed upside down in a shallow pool and the battery itself didn't seem to get wet.

Well i guess lesson learned from this one.
Rule of thumb never take off unless you have gps lock and rth set. Unless you plan on flying purely vps. Or experienced in atti mode
2018-2-10
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

Consider this you jump in your car to go do some shopping but you notice a knocking sound coming from the engine when you start it.

Would you continue to drive to the shop or would you investigate the fault?
Your drone should come under the same category as your car does if you detect a fault just stop think about things for a second then choose what is the best and safest course of action.
Keep in mind that you are not only putting your drone at risk but also the safety of other people should the drone become out of control.
2018-2-10
Use props
theinfinate79
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-2-10 21:55
Consider this you jump in your car to go do some shopping but you notice a knocking sound coming from the engine when you start it.

Would you continue to drive to the shop or would you investigate the fault?

Yeah true, I should have listened to my gut and landed it, I know ive got a "she'l be right" attitude but i really want to get to the bottom of this fault
2018-2-10
Use props
theinfinate79
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

Andrew245 Posted at 2018-2-10 21:11
I bet that sparatic movement was your VPS taking control over water... next time you are in an area like that turn that thing off

thanks, i think your correct in that thinking, i noticed someone on youtube put opaque tape over the visual sensors and it fixed it.  I build waterfalls and ponds for a living and like to get footage of my creations so flying over water is important for me.
2018-2-10
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

theinfinate79 Posted at 2018-2-10 22:08
Yeah true, I should have listened to my gut and landed it, I know ive got a "she'l be right" attitude but i really want to get to the bottom of this fault

Well to get to the bottom of it can you upload your flight log so our log gurus can check it out they may be able to give you some answers.
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Post link to log file here once you have uploaded it
2018-2-10
Use props
theinfinate79
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-2-10 22:16
Well to get to the bottom of it can you upload your flight log so our log gurus can check it out they may be able to give you some answers.
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Post link to log file here once you have uploaded it

Ok thanks heaps, can i just sync my flight records of which i am doing right now
2018-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules