1506 21 2018-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansf135c936
lvl.1
Flight distance : 410568 ft
United States

Hi folks,

I've had a Phantom 3 Advanced for a couple years now and am a huge fan of it. I have really wanted the Phantom 4 Pro+ for a while but it's just too far out of my price range. Now I'm suddenly intirested in the Mavic Air. It seems to do everything my Phantom can and more but in a smaller package. I love the obstical avoidance and the autonomous featues. I feel like I would use my drone more if I didn't have to lug around a huge backpack everytime I wanted to take it somewhere.

My only concerns are the camera. I mostly use my drone for photography but I would like to do more with video. I fear the sensor is probably too small to be better than my phantom 3. I'm also concerned in general about the build quality. I really wish there were a way that I could try this drone out before I buy it. I just can't justify selling my Phantom and buying this when there's a decent chance I won't like it. So I'd like to hear your guys thoughts on that Air. Espeically if you have both a Phantom and the Air. Am I sacrificing a lot by going smaller. Image quality, stablilty. Let me know! Thanks!
2018-2-11
Use props
Supong
lvl.4
Thailand

Comparing Air to P3A, the  Air is much better in camera, reliability, intelligent flying mode, flight safety and transportability. You will feel comfortable to fly it in your backyard. The disadvantage of the Air are shorter range and max.wind speed that it can fly. Because the weight is much less and the propulsion system is less power. Beside, the Air use enhanced wifi which, in my experience, less reliable than P3A. And there is no Home lock and Course lock in the Air.

My suggestion is you may buy Air if your mission is not flying far. But if you can put additional budget I would recommend you to buy P4A. It has dual sensor whick make it more reliable than the Air.
2018-2-11
Use props
Mavic Ace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

I love my Air. It is a quality piece of equipment. I’ve never flown a phantom so I can’t compare. I have both a Spark and a Mavic Platinum. I like all 3 but so far the Air is my favorite.  The only shortcoming is the 21 minute flight time. If you are really unsure I hear the Mavic Pro II is due out next month. Hold tight and see what that’s like.
2018-2-11
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

That new Mavic Air Is nice and shiny isn't it

But... When reading your concerns the following comes to my mind. What happens when the Mavic II Pro comes out, and it does fit you better with an better camera and flight time?
I would make use of that fortunate position you have, you already got a great drone so you could hold out to see what's coming.
If you have Mavic Pro budget I would wait it out. Try to get your hands on a current Mavic Pro and Air in a store nearby, and just look at them. If the Mavic Pro's (pack)size is small enough for you, and you like the flighttime over the Mavic Air, I couldn't imagine you would be dissapointed in an updated Mavic II Pro.
If you buy a Mavic Air now, and half a year from now the Mavic II Pro comes out, there is a good posibility you wished you waited.
(yes, I know, there is always another better drone around the corner, but you know what you want, I wouldn't compromise. There absolutely will be a Mavic II Pro, I'd be highly surprised if it wouldn't hit the market in 2018)
2018-2-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I can't confirm it, but my guess is that the P3A's lens + sensor is equal or less than that from the MA.
I don't focus on specs alone, since there is more to the system than resolution.
P4A/P4P is a different league if you ask me. Larger sensor and better lens.
But comparing to P3A I think you will get a much more portable drone with equal picture quality if you go for the MA.
2018-2-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-12 05:25
That new Mavic Air Is nice and shiny isn't it

But... When reading your concerns the following comes to my mind. What happens when the Mavic II Pro comes out, and it does fit you better with an better camera and flight time?

Take into consideration that the MP2 is 'supposed' to be a bit more expensive than the MPP.
(pure speculation, but sounds reasonable, they need more space between the MA and the MP2)
If true and it has a 1"sensor, it could even be a replacement for some Phantom owners, so that would justify some increased price also.
2018-2-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Mavic Ace Posted at 2018-2-11 17:36
I love my Air. It is a quality piece of equipment. I’ve never flown a phantom so I can’t compare. I have both a Spark and a Mavic Platinum. I like all 3 but so far the Air is my favorite.  The only shortcoming is the 21 minute flight time. If you are really unsure I hear the Mavic Pro II is due out next month. Hold tight and see what that’s like.

Maybe that is the best advice for now. Wait as long as you 'can' until you know what the MP2 will bring and decide afterwards.
2018-2-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Mavic Ace Posted at 2018-2-11 17:36
I love my Air. It is a quality piece of equipment. I’ve never flown a phantom so I can’t compare. I have both a Spark and a Mavic Platinum. I like all 3 but so far the Air is my favorite.  The only shortcoming is the 21 minute flight time. If you are really unsure I hear the Mavic Pro II is due out next month. Hold tight and see what that’s like.

What flight time do you get (in real life) in general with 1 battery?
2018-2-12
Use props
Mavic Ace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

I get about 18 minutes with15% left when I land.
2018-2-12
Use props
CynicalZombie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 179813 ft
United States

Unless there's an urgent need, I'd wait till March to see what the Mavic Pro 2 will offer.
2018-2-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Mavic Ace Posted at 2018-2-12 08:15
I get about 18 minutes with15% left when I land.

Almost missed your answer. If you hit 'reply' on my reply I get a notification
Thanks for the answer.
That is a nice score if you ask me.
So  a decent  15 minutes of time to shoot and some time to fly back and forth to where you want to be.
Great
2018-2-12
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-12 07:26
Take into consideration that the MP2 is 'supposed' to be a bit more expensive than the MPP.
(pure speculation, but sounds reasonable, they need more space between the MA and the MP2)
If true and it has a 1"sensor, it could even be a replacement for some Phantom owners, so that would justify some increased price also.

Yes, TS better start saving a few quid per month

As for flighttime on a single battery with the Air, I get 15 and a half minutes till 29%
2018-2-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-13 04:26
Yes, TS better start saving a few quid per month

I agree
That sounds like just enough to get a couple of nice shots !
2018-2-13
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-13 06:18
I agree
That sounds like just enough to get a couple of nice shots !

Yeah, the pictures are still trailing behind, still learning to fly
2018-2-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-13 06:42

Watch out for the new regulations though.
Were effectuated in januari, but not much publicity about it.
2018-2-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-13 06:42

http://wetten.overheid.nl/BWBR0036568/2017-10-07
2018-2-13
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-13 07:31
http://wetten.overheid.nl/BWBR0036568/2017-10-07

Thanks for sharing, but jeeze, that's Dutch goverment for ya.

'Let's just trow everything that flies under one big wall of text, and let people try to distill what applies to them, that will certainly let them give up'

I can't figure it out, is there maybe another website that does a recap?
2018-2-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14416132 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The only major thing you will miss on the P3A is lightbridge - which will have a more stable transmission signal, less latency to the live feed and increased range over the Air. Both the P3A and Air have 1/2.3" sensors but the P3A can only record up to 2.7K @ 30p up to 40 MBPS (the last I checked) - the camera on the Air is actually far superior to the original P4, let alone the P3A.

Other minor advantages of the P3A is the inclusion of the classic intelligent flight modes such as follow me, course and home lock, waypoints and point of interest. That said, you'll get to use the GO 4 app over the older GO app with the Air and have numerous new flight modes such as quick shots, active track and tap fly.

The portability advantages of the Air speaks for itself - you will fly it far more and in more varied locations. I owned the P3P and loved that drone before I upgraded to the P4P. I bought the Mavic Pro for fun but under estimated the drone on appearance as it was amazing. I've since upgraded the MP to the Mavic Platinum (whilst also owning and selling a Spark along the way LOL) and kept the P4P.

The P4P has an exceptional camera for it's price point but I use my MPP 9 out of 10 times that I fly. With the Mavic Pro you will keep those classic flight modes and add most of the new ones too, have c4K video and the best transmission quality of any consumer grade drone (OcuSync) and a drone that it so much more portable than the Phantom.

The MP2 will be out soon enough I'm sure but how much will it cost? Probably the same as a P4P today and if that is too much then consider a Mavic Pro now. Going from a Phantom with lightbridge to a high tech mini drone with WiFi may be a bit too big a change for you and one you may regret when the 'honeymoon period' of the new drone is over.
2018-2-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-13 09:23

'Let's just trow everything that flies under one big wall of text, and let people try to distill what applies to them, that will certainly let them give up'

Not that I have seen.
Nobody noticed apparently.
As far as I read in short:

max 50m height
max 100m horizontal distance from pilot.
min 50m horizontal from about everything man made.

2018-2-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-13 09:23

'Let's just trow everything that flies under one big wall of text, and let people try to distill what applies to them, that will certainly let them give up'

They wanted to have the 'non professionals' line up with ROC light. But unfortunately that ment the non pro's will have more strict rules instead of the ROC light more loose ones.

2018-2-13
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-13 11:46
They wanted to have the 'non professionals' line up with ROC light. But unfortunately that ment the non pro's will have more strict rules instead of the ROC light more loose ones.

I'll send you a PM, because were going way offtopic.
2018-2-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-14 02:08
I'll send you a PM, because were going way offtopic.

You are right.
2018-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules