Jumping the Gun purchases
2661 30 2014-10-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MaxisDrone
lvl.1

United States

how many of you jumped the gun and made a purchase right before a price drop or new version is released?
2014-10-28
Use props
b.w.j
Second Officer

Denmark

Thats the risk with spending Money..
2014-10-28
Use props
MaxisDrone
lvl.1

United States

It'll cost me 300 bucks to make it like the new version
2014-10-28
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

MaxisDrone@yaho Posted at 2014-10-29 00:40
It'll cost me 300 bucks to make it like the new version

$300? How much do they cost individually?
2014-10-28
Use props
MaxisDrone
lvl.1

United States

Cloud9 Posted at 2014-10-29 01:00
$300? How much do they cost individually?

The transmitter with built in lips is $99 and the the motors I would think cost around $150-200
And then u have the compass when available and the install which most likely void ur whole warranty
That's why I made this post ,I mean I understand new products are released occasionally but for being so close to a recent purchase from a price drop and being all the new features being included NOW
2014-10-28
Use props
snewton
lvl.1
Flight distance : 22198 ft
United Kingdom

People felt the same when buying the original Vision when the P2 H3-2D came along, then people who bought the H3-2D felt the same when the Vision+ came along...

In this industry in particular you need to make peace with the fact that if you hold out for the latest and greatest you'll never buy anything, and if you buy something after having waited for a price drop then there's bound to be another iteration around the corner. Things are moving so fast there are new models coming up all the time.
2014-10-28
Use props
MaxisDrone
lvl.1

United States

That sucks
2014-10-28
Use props
shacks86
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1361844 ft
United Kingdom

I agree with Simon.

Its a nice change as usually the early adopters dont get that good of a deal with extras arriving shortly after purchase.  Having bought the vision+ at release it has been a while since a newer phantom.  My current phantom+ with plenty of use has naturally devalued in that time so its fair not to overprice the newer mode.  Tough luck.  Think of all those people who bought the Vision (myself included) then not long after the + came out.    I expect anyone who buys the upgraded vishion will also feel cheated if DJI then do a Christmas or January deal on it.  You just have to time your purchases with releases,offers or price drops.  
2014-10-28
Use props
hd_ultra
lvl.3

United States

That is techno for ya.
2014-10-28
Use props
shep941
lvl.2

United States

Basically the same as buying a television or computer.
2014-10-28
Use props
alexrus76
New

United States

it's like saying i bought 100 shares of Google yesterday for $10000 and now they cost $8000 (not that I wish that should ever happen ;)  and now I feel cheated.
Grow up man, it's life, not fairy tale
2014-10-28
Use props
MaxisDrone
lvl.1

United States

Lol I see a lot of corporate consumer dummy's lmao
I'm in no way have tough luck or any harsh feelings lol
some people wish they could have or even afford a Dji product
I'll be buying the phantom 3 if it's released and keep my phantom 2 as a back up
NO BIGGIe
2014-10-28
Use props
MaxisDrone
lvl.1

United States

Please ppl fellow Dji users do not get ur panties in a bunch
Over this thread I know I'm not the only recent Dji consumer who purchased recently that like woooow
2014-10-28
Use props
uptowndisco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7394987 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I lost out twice , bought at full price then price drop a few weeks later but I was just over the time to get a partial refund now the new version 2 ,  but I am not complaining I got what I paid for and still happy with it ,  stop whinging
2014-10-28
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

MaxisDrone@yaho Posted at 2014-10-29 09:13
Please ppl fellow Dji users do not get ur panties in a bunch
Over this thread I know I'm not the on ...

I get what you're saying. I think the ones who got it the worst were the original Vision owners..Vision+ came out like what..4 months later?

I'm kind of bummed myself, but I'm not even sure how much better the ESCs/Motors are. Could be all marketing hype..borrowing a page from Apple's book

I'm definitely spending the $30 on the new props though. I already use rechargeable batts in my transmitter, just waiting on some real reviews on those new motors.

I'm used to this kind of stuff, I switch phones like I switch underwear
2014-10-28
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

uptowndisco@hot Posted at 2014-10-29 09:52
I lost out twice , bought at full price then price drop a few weeks later but I was just over the ti ...

Agreed..... appreciate what you have...   even if it does completely tear itself apart....  sorry,,   gimbal ribbon flashbacks.......:@
2014-10-28
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

mixstreme Posted at 2014-10-29 11:06
Agreed..... appreciate what you have...   even if it does completely tear itself apart....  sorr ...

Ribbon flashbacks..just ruined my morning
Yeah I stocked up on those! If we have a gimbal ribbon apocalypse, I'm ready
2014-10-29
Use props
kowtow1
lvl.1

United States

I think the issue for me is lack of dissemination between the two PV2+ versions.  I just placed my order through Amazon last night, thinking I was getting the PV2+ that I saw here on the DJI site, only to now realize I likely will be receiving an older version.  I really hate it when companies release a new version, but maintain the same model number nomenclature.  It makes it hard as a consumer to know what version (new or old) that your are purchasing.  Something as simple for example as PV2+ (ver 2.0) would have given me pause to verify if the version I ordered was actually the most current model.
2014-10-29
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Cloud9 Posted at 2014-10-29 21:07
Ribbon flashbacks..just ruined my morning
Yeah I stocked up on those! If we have a gimbal ribbon a ...

Nice, always puzzled me why they wont sell them? Keep your spares to yourself as so many people will pm you, it may mean a new identity..  
Did you get my PM (lol)

They sell so much to upgrade, motors, esc's,  etc...   but we are not to be trusted to fit a ribbon cable.

That's the reason so many people feel abandoned........ although I admit it wont help some of them........

The real innovators to me are the ones who lead the masses in finding a way around issues such as the gimbal's apparently non existent failures. Those who offer resolve in new methods and provide tech savvy information to those who can not afford to replace the very nice but very delicate gimbal every week.
The people that work the forums and see life for what it is, the people who for no reason stay up all night with an oscilloscope testing the variables and providing the required fix for those who excel in other areas.

The vision +,  Flagship of the fleet, reduced to what...............  Less than expected for many.......
The box cracks me up....    Phantom vision+  -  Your flying camera......   I feel there should be some other statements included........

I've got to admit the marketing was great... So many dreams of becoming an Ariel photographer have come crashing down to earth with a snap, thud, click, click, clank and now so many people have a great quadcopter.... to do other stupid things with.......  like smash them into cars, houses, or take their pet hamster for the ride of its life....  this doesn't end well for us...

Thank god it wasn't a flying gun....they would have probably sold more.....  Protect your home and boundaries with the new Quadzilla intruder system....  Drive by shootings the easy way......    ok walking away now because its to close to reality........  

(I did not and do not wish to imply that the US government have or are in any way irresponsible with the usage of any such UAS/UAV etc... please do not crash my car into a tree in the middle of nowhere on a perfectly straight road with no reason to veer off)

I suppose ive opened the floodgates now for the numerous defenders to tell me how they have never had a problem,  YES we know....
But the voices we hear although quieter, are more in numbers,  and so to me it sounds like the Welsh choir singing -
Forums - people only voice problems - YES we know...   What ever works for you...  

I really don't want to get into the argument of the marketing of the product and thus the viability of the products effective resilience to such minor knocks and bumps as per the end users that have been targeted...  Fly out of the box, NO.......   wrong way I think....
But saying that, those poor people pay for our future in the hobby, so , KARMA ,  I'll help if I can.

END OF RANT..  POST IT NOTE ON PC,  NO MORE RANTING ABOUT GIMBAL...RIBBON... OR  PRODUCT REVIEWS AND TARGETED AUDIENCE.

Damm,,,,,,,    lets not go there its such a touchy subject for so many.........    need to go and punch a wall or summat..........  

Any way...  How about those updates.....   nice to reduce the descent speed I thought,  great idea.........

2014-10-29
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

I really don't understand all the fuss.
Presumably you did your research and decided the phantom was right for you, met all your requirements etc.
Well nothing has changed, you will still get just what you ordered.
Most products evolve over time, the phantom is no different.
You can update the firmware and app to the latest spec.

2014-10-29
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

kowtow1@hotmail Posted at 2014-10-29 21:43
I think the issue for me is lack of dissemination between the two PV2+ versions.  I just placed my o ...

Cancel it,  you have a legal right to do so...

Order direct from DJI.....
2014-10-29
Use props
kowtow1
lvl.1

United States

mixstreme Posted at 2014-10-29 22:13
Cancel it,  you have a legal right to do so...

Order direct from DJI.....

Totally agree.  Tried to cancel, but the order has been shipped.  I will return it and purchase directly through DJI to be assured I get the latest version.

The point is, maintaining the same nomenclature and/or model info for a product that isn't form, fit function identical serves to confuse and provide a disservice to the customer.  I did my research, believing I was ordering exactly what I saw on the DJI site only I chose to purchase it through Amazon for pricing reasons.  Low and behold, what I thought I ordered (aka DJI's specifications listed for the PV2+) isn't what I was ordering.
2014-10-29
Use props
kowtow1
lvl.1

United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2014-10-29 22:13
I really don't understand all the fuss.
Presumably you did your research and decided the phantom was ...

I don't believe this is necessarily true, but since I don't posses one yet I will refer to a separate post which stated:

"Differences: new propulsion system (motors and props), new compass (it is now covered), new remote control (it now has channel 7 rotary control above S2 switch, lipo batt, and more...)"

So yes, the PV2+ is in fact different.  I also believe the new remote control has the trainer port in addition to the above.
2014-10-29
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I know this sounds really backwards, but sometimes its a case of better the devil you know...

The NEW stuff although I'm sure is very well tested, has not actually been what I would call mass field tested as its just rolling out. I know the props and motors are in fact used elsewhere, but at least if you stuck with the model purchased you would have the same remedies if required as most other users in the forum.

I find new stuff, well,  I see it as paying to field test it.  The exclusivity of owning the latest and greatest sometimes isn't all its cracked up to be.  

Saying that with the modifications made, I agree there's not really much to go wrong, but as I have learnt from experience, only time will tell.

Either way its a great machine.  A great platform for you to explore, no matter which version you get.
2014-10-29
Use props
robbin.bergqvis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59839 ft

Croatia

Wait 10 years before you buy something.
2014-10-29
Use props
chris.pugrud
lvl.2

United States

I got my p2v+ exactly a week ago, so I can return it, order the "new" p2v+, but I don't want to screw over the amazon merchant I purchased it from, so I'll call them and see what they suggest I do.

If I would have known that the new one was being released to inventory this week, I would have just waited a week, but I guess that wouldn't have helped DJI clear the old inventory out of channels.

I definitely agree 100% that DJI really did us all a disservice by no changing the model number.
2014-10-29
Use props
kowtow1
lvl.1

United States

robbin.bergqvis Posted at 2014-10-30 02:06
Wait 10 years before you buy something.

Nice sarcasm, but I think you're missing my point.  This isn't about being an early adopter.  I ordered the product last night, but I thought I was getting the "current" version not last month's version.  

Why don't you go buy a 2014 car tomorrow and let the dealer pull around your new car that's a 2013.  Maybe you won't be crying fowl so quickly.
2014-10-29
Use props
Dragonrider
lvl.2

United States

Whew!!  Glad I'm still in the research period and when I buy the PV2+ it will be the "updated" version.  Of course then next year when the PV3 comes out I'll be behind the curve again.......... It's all good though
2014-10-29
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

mixstreme Posted at 2014-10-29 23:01
I know this sounds really backwards, but sometimes its a case of better the devil you know...

The ...

This. If a reputable company puts the hours in R&D, there should be little to worry about. Granted theres production issues (mass production defects) and what not, but if it's a problem by design or affecting a lot of users, it should be recalled and fixed by that company.
I understand the Ready to Fly route is still in its early stages (everyone used to build their own quads) but I think profiting on your ease of use approach and capitalizing on casual consumers requires more R&D than just selling a kit (frame, ESCs, motors etc) and letting the customer build it themselves.

Can't reep the benefits without the costs. DJI makes great products, their products and advertising have a quality look and feel to them compared to the competition.
They look well made, don't feel cheap and their marketing is Apple class. I realize it's hard supporting a product that lives in the air, but If they can reach Apple support and R&D levels, they would abaolutely dominate the multirotor world.

2014-10-30
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Cloud9 Posted at 2014-10-30 20:54
This. If a reputable company puts the hours in R&D, there should be little to worry about. Granted  ...

I agree...  and as Apple have learned, if you know there's an issue, act on it before you become tainted by its failure....

Apple, lol,  what a great comparison........   I don't do Apple......
ANDROID rules...
2014-10-30
Use props
scott_barton
lvl.3
Flight distance : 877110 ft
United States

You can still get a Phantom 2 Vision Plus with extra battery for only $1159 here.  Lowest I've ever seen.  
2014-11-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules