Phantom 4 Pro
1464 16 2018-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
IG2K
lvl.1
United States

So I bought the Phantom 4 Pro a few days ago and am waiting for it to get here. I have been reading the forums and am now terrified to fly it lol. Any tips for someone new to drones?
2018-2-12
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

That’s a hell of a drone to start with.  Take your time, read the online flight manual.  Baby steps...
2018-2-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

If you begin your journey in Beginner Mode, you will be super fine..

The forum is always here to help guide and mentor you.

You could also look for other RC pilots in your area for tips and helpful guidance.
Thankfully, the DJI drones fly themselves, so you need very little experience if any, to get started.

Congrats on the fine drone, you will be very happy with it. I envy the new drone pilot, in you.

RedHotPoker
2018-2-12
Use props
Titanbot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2485909 ft
United States

Start in beginner mood, sit and play with all the settings to get used to and remember where to go in the sitting. Have fun and good luck.......p.s. pay the littel extra for the dji care
2018-2-12
Use props
duke123
lvl.3
Flight distance : 78930 ft
United States

Use your flight simulator and practice, practice ,practice, take your time and read thru all your manuals.
2018-2-12
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Don't update right out of the box.  It should fly fine.
2018-2-12
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DON'T UPDATE if it asks it can cause problems with some & theres no need so just fly it and get used to it in beginners mode, it will fly just fine. Mine is still on 1.4.0703 flies/films superbly.
2018-2-12
Use props
K4GAP
lvl.1
United States

I was the same way before I flew my P4P the first way. It's only natural to be concerned. There are many videos on Youtube to help you.
2018-2-13
Use props
Timinator
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3481985 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Just took my P4P+ into the sky for the first time yesterday.  I'd never flown a drone before but spent time using the simulator for about a week.  I read a lot before buying and flying it as well as watched a lot of videos.  The other thing that helped me was beginner mode.  The first take-off I did was automatic but I did all the landings and takeoffs after in manual mode.  I made a quick checklist before flying with a few "what to do if this happens" scenarios.  I watched a number of videos where people panicked, chose poorly, made mistake after mistake until they crashed their aircraft.   I was determined not to do this.   I took my time in preparing for my first flight.

Also, I didn't update the firmware.  I needed to establish a benchmark so I could judge the airworthiness of the aircraft.   Give yourself space to fly so you have some room for error.  My first few flights are going to be all about airmanship.  Once I feel comfortable with that, I will explore the camera functions and features.  After that, I will try out some of the other modes.  It's all about stick time for me so I can be comfortable with the aircraft, my controllability of it, and honing my flights skills.  

Good luck and have fun!
2018-2-13
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

Watch out for trees and remember to set you RTH altitude above any hazards.
2018-2-13
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

Most of the horror stories you read about on the forum are from those who thought they could fly without doing the research.  The Phantom 4 Pro is a very stable platform and has the "will to live" if you set the aircraft up properly in the GO 4 APP. Don't take it out of the box, throw a battery in it and push the sticks to the max. Its isn't a racer, it is a flying computer and camera,...and if you keep thinking of it as such, you will do just fine!
2018-2-13
Use props
fansfe2c9456
lvl.3
United States

Aerial-Image Posted at 2018-2-12 23:29
DON'T UPDATE if it asks it can cause problems with some & theres no need so just fly it and get used to it in beginners mode, it will fly just fine. Mine is still on 1.4.0703 flies/films superbly.

What is the latest firmware version?  I just bought mine a few days ago, and I believe the update was 1.3...?
2018-2-14
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Latest vers is currently 1.5.300 - if you go into the app on the ABOUT section for the AC it will tell you what the drone is  on for FW version.
2018-2-15
Use props
FarmerMac
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1215079 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

I started out with the P4P+ for about 2 mont ago.
I had the same feeling as You, but just take it easy, and give it time. Be familar with
the sticks movement, and how the drone react. Practis in a big open field without
any trees or other obstacles, and keep your fingers from the S-mode and ATTI-mode.

Dont be scared about all the bad things written here on the forum, but be aware of
what people experience. Most of the time people (including my self) only complain
about problems here, but remember there is millions of devices out there without
any issues. We never here from them

I would sugest you NOT upgrade the drone to the most resent firmware (.0300) because
there has been/is bugs found in that version. My drone is on the .0602 version, and got
no issues that I know of.

Make your self a good pree-flight-checklist you follow everytime you deside to fly your drone.
Its a good thing to incooperate already from the start of your dronecareear

Things like (remember full charged batteries, fresh SD card, charged phone/controler, spare batteries) could
be be on the "before-I-leave-home" list.
Before takeoff (check the drone fysicaly for any damage, including the propellers, dobblecheck if the propellers
is correct mountet, wait for optimal GPS 12+ is locked, check for any other errors like compass or IMU errors,
inteferrence and so)
Then when everything is ok, all the fun can begin

I only got a total of 4 hours flight time over the past two month because of windy weather, but feel realy comfortable
using my drone now. Just give it time and dont rush.
2018-2-15
Use props
IG2K
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for all of the great tips everyone! Its been bad weather so I haven't had much of a chance to fly my P4P but moving from the Spark to that has been a fun and interesting ride so far So far so good!
2018-2-18
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Until you can operate without having to stop and think about which stick does what, be very cautious.
After that remain cautious!!
It's when pilots get too comfortable and complacent that things go horribly wrong!!
2018-2-18
Use props
BagoDJIoperator84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

dont be, just practise and you be just fine
2018-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules