Flyaway problem with DJI Inspire! lost my drone 4th time this time for good
12Next >
8362 51 2015-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
leojeremias
lvl.1

United States

The flyaway problem is real and has now cost me my drone .
The first few times it happened I thought it was bad piloting , then it disappeared on me and landed itself , but each time I got it back was a miracle.
Heres what happens, as soon as it says "remote control weak" it will start on its own flight path, in retrosepct I may know the issue.
I think was happening, they removed the IOS software when I purchased it (I think I sawthat its back in the apple store now ) but when I purchased it, the IOS app was removed from store . I dont have an android phone but have two devices, a fire and a one plus chinese phone running Android. I ended up installing it on an Amazon fire (not the kindle) to install it you have to override its settings  from Amazon, I think this is the issue
1- I ran after it right after the remote lost control and then got it back.
2- it landed on a random roof but the blades got chopped up by the wall
3- It landed on someones porch and I had no idea where in the building because I could not see where it went, by sheer coincidence the elevator stopped and saw from camera it started moving and caught a guy that was completely freaked out, and told me the drone didnt crash but it landed itself almost professionally and thought he was about to be a victim of an airstrike, either that or an amazon millionth customer award, but he was about to go to security.
* crashed the aircraft (didnt lose it this time ) ruined the camera DJI fixed it at no cost, went off on its own again
5- Today lost the drone completely , it lost contact with remote landed somewhere in a densely populated neighborhood and have no idea what when or where , it was not that far away from me.
I have filed a claim with DJI I want to see if they will replace it because of faulty software .
I am so pissed off I didnt think of writing my name on the drone, but each time before this I had always maintained visual with it, so it never was completely out of sight, but still I always thought it was a fluke and it wouldnt happen again, and it was simply I wasnt programming the home button correctly, but now I see its the software because even the flight data was not captured correctly.
I HOPE DJI WILL TAKE RESPONSIBILITY, this has cost me so much grief and have gone through 6 sets of blades with this issue, and now I am pretty sure its the Andriod software, not on a normal device.
2015-4-29
Use props
alexmarnas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 606237 ft
Hong Kong

Can not understand that after the first one, you still try to fly that thing...
Would have sent it back right away. Better safe than sorry!
2015-4-29
Use props
Outta Control
lvl.2
Flight distance : 779419 ft
United States

Should consider a redundant GPS tracker.
2015-4-29
Use props
Heliflo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8885013 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Sorry about that - did you wait until GPS Lock before every take off? Did you checked the homepoint on the map?
2015-4-30
Use props
fullyestablishe
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Like Heliflo, I have to first suspect that the Inspire is performing a failsafe return to home and that home is not where you want it to be. The witness who saw the professional landing sounds like the end of the return home. Did it also transform into landing mode? Best after setting the home point to zoom into the map and ensure it is exactly where you think it is. I am so sorry that you have lost your aircraft.
2015-4-30
Use props
jon
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Outta Control Posted at 2015-4-30 12:12
Should consider a redundant GPS tracker.

What he said!
I would have had one after the first fly away.

In fact I have got one, and have never had a fly away.
2015-4-30
Use props
jonathanp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 519275 ft
Canada

How far away from the controller when you lost control?
2015-4-30
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

m3dudley@gmail. Posted at 2015-5-1 02:19
Do not by a inspire on unless you are into getting hustled. Bought a unit,  did the required firmwa ...

Perhaps when you receive your refund you can put the money to good use and buy an educational book on grammar?
You may possibly have sufficient funds left over to also purchase a copy of the Oxford English dictionary!
2015-4-30
Use props
videohh.gmail
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2789108 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry to hear.  Ive got 3 phantoms and a Inspire.  Hundreds of hours.  Not one fly away.  I attribute this to ALWAYS having at least 6 satellites acquired before take off.  And ALWAYS making sure on my map that my home point is set right where I stand(before Takeoff). There are times it can take a while to acquire a good 6 or more GPS lock.  All depends on where you are.  Deep canyons?  Yah probably gonna take a while.   If you've done all this already and were having flyaways?  something was wrong and you shoulda grounded her after you luckily got her back the first time.  And one more thing.  My phone number is written on all my drones and batteries.  Its a good idea.  
2015-5-1
Use props
videohh.gmail
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Do not by a inspire on unless you are into getting hustled. Bought a unit,  did the required firmwa ...

Ive had the complete opposite experience.  I've got 27 hours on my inspire.  Not one issue upgrading.  Gimbal footage is as steady as a rock.  DJI just sent me the new quick release props for free.  I ALWAYS follow the instructions to a T when upgrading firmware.  Not saying you didnt.   Bad luck I guess guy..
2015-5-1
Use props
videohh.gmail
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Ask any engineer what OE means and he will probably know.  Operator Error!  I dare say almost 100 percent of the issues people are having are OE related.  If not, why am I the lucky one that Never has any fly aways or upgrade issues or bricked devices.  Follow proceedure.  Everything has a proceedure, and theres a significant reason for it.  Ive bought 3 Phantoms (starting with ver 1.1) and one Inspire.  Hundreds of hours.  Not one problem.  And No.  I dont work for DJI or know anyone that does.  Im just telling it from my perspective.
Only want one thing.  Groundstation/follow me for the Inspire ASAP!
2015-5-1
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904990 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are you sure you set the altitude for the fail safe to more than 20 meters? I find it is way to low and set mine to 80 meters. If your fails safe is triggered from lose of signal it will head home at 20meters and possibly collide with a tree, etc  
2015-5-1
Use props
leojeremias
lvl.1

United States

jonathanp Posted at 2015-5-1 01:52
How far away from the controller when you lost control?

a few thousand feet max
2015-5-1
Use props
leojeremias
lvl.1

United States

videohh.gmail Posted at 2015-5-1 22:21
Sorry to hear.  Ive got 3 phantoms and a Inspire.  Hundreds of hours.  Not one fly away.  I attribut ...

In retrospect I should have done this , I also think it may be a device issue with the Amazon fire
2015-5-1
Use props
leojeremias
lvl.1

United States

videohh.gmail Posted at 2015-5-1 22:39
Ask any engineer what OE means and he will probably know.  Operator Error!  I dare say almost 100 pe ...

I would not be so sure it is OE , as a software developer there are many bugs with software and your experience proves nothing in regards to this situation, if everyone would have problems they would be out of business.
2015-5-1
Use props
leojeremias
lvl.1

United States

HFI Posted at 2015-5-2 01:11
Are you sure you set the altitude for the fail safe to more than 20 meters? I find it is way to low  ...

true but in this case it was at least a thousand feet up and no  trees , it lands itself at closest roof, it doesnt crash, I was told by the person who found it that it landed itself professionally and shut itself off.
2015-5-1
Use props
acasarin
New

Mexico

I agree 100% with you !!

Too expensive garbage !!
2015-5-1
Use props
videohh.gmail
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

leojeremias Posted at 2015-5-2 01:30
I would not be so sure it is OE , as a software developer there are many bugs with software and yo ...

I wasn't necessarily talking about a software engineer.  Anyway, youre not one and i work with a gaggle of them.  If you don't agree thats ok.  Just a little too defensive.  
2015-5-1
Use props
videohh.gmail
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

leojeremias Posted at 2015-5-2 01:30
I would not be so sure it is OE , as a software developer there are many bugs with software and yo ...

Operator Error
When someone believes there is something wrong with their computer and it turns out the user is causing the problem..  Its ok if you dont agree.  OE is more commonly known as Old English.   If my comment sounded like I was trying to make an argument, I really wasn't.
2015-5-1
Use props
joekeantang
lvl.4

United States

acasarin Posted at 2015-5-2 10:57
I agree 100% with you !!

Too expensive garbage !!

If it's garbage why are you in this forum? You like to smell garbage or be around garbage? You are in the wrong place..... People like you are ignorants!
2015-5-1
Use props
GrahamJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 595538 ft
Australia

Ignorance is bliss!  
2015-5-2
Use props
leojeremias
lvl.1

United States

Unbelievable !
They will not take responsibility for this.
They offered a 30% discount on a new one.
So now I must shell out another 2k after I proved beyond a reasonable doubt the software was flawed. I showed flight data it left and never came back.
.[img]http://screencast.com/t/GuRYDcap2picture [/img]

2015-5-9
Use props
hxcthomas
New

Canada

did the same thing to me then i called dji in la they have me running around doing jumping jacks for the past 6 days smashing my head off a wall just trying to keep doing the update... really dont want to do a rma but i already lost out on 3 jobs and a big one this monday... so much for dji being a good company
2015-5-10
Use props
Fred D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56184 ft
Canada

Let me get this straight, your using an UNAPPROVED CHEAP CHINESE TABLET and you can't figure out why your having problems????????? How about using the recommended type of tablet, and a little common sence. Maybe you won't have so many issues. 3 flyaways and you still went up again without resolving the issue first. And now you blame DJI. And you KNEW you had a problem and yet you continued to fly over populated areas. wow
2015-5-10
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

I hope you can find that thing bro! Or put up some flyers of course it is such a valuable bird you will have to offer a reward!

2015-5-10
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

See my post on "Weak Transmission Signal", I am having this problem whilst in simulator mode after recent update.  Sounds very similar to me.  Now I am worried about putting this in the air after this update.  
2015-5-10
Use props
whill11
lvl.2

United States

markjacobs.talk Posted at 2015-5-1 05:07
Perhaps when you receive your refund you can put the money to good use and buy an educational book  ...

While I'm sure this post was meant to be light and humorous, there are some who might find it insulting.  This forum is about learning to be better pilots.  I think we can overlook the diversity in writing skills as long as we are still able to communicate.   
2015-5-19
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

whill11 Posted at 2015-5-20 01:39
While I'm sure this post was meant to be light and humorous, there are some who might find it insu ...

eloquently put
2015-5-19
Use props
leojeremias
lvl.1

United States

Fred D Posted at 2015-5-10 22:03
Let me get this straight, your using an UNAPPROVED CHEAP CHINESE TABLET and you can't figure out why ...

I was about to flame you for being a retard, and point out that someone telling me I dont have common "SENCE" is a pot kettle situation...then I realized your Canadian .....
2015-5-22
Use props
acasarin
New

Mexico

markjacobs.talk Posted at 2015-5-1 05:07
Perhaps when you receive your refund you can put the money to good use and buy an educational book  ...

and you can buy a less stupid nick ¡
2015-5-22
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

leojeremias Posted at 2015-5-2 01:28
a few thousand feet max

A few thousand feet max?
I'll assume you mean 3,000 feet? Given that there is 5,280 feet in a mile you are saying that you saw the aircraft at more than half a mile away in an urban area, that is miraculous if not impossible! without an accurate gps signal and map.
That's greater than 9 football fields in length! I challenge anyone to place an Inspire on the ground 9 football fields away and tell me if you can see it. I say not. That said, if you lost sight of it, which you must have, how can you say it was not that far away when you lost it?
The flight you lost the aircraft... again how can you say it was close? These aircraft have a range of approximately 23 standard miles. That can be in a radial area spanning double the total distance or 46 miles, or said in other words, the aircraft can land in any part of an area covering approximately 73 square miles from it's point of origin and potentially could be responsible for someones death if they were struck by it. That would make me nervous given that there is a serial number on the aircraft which would be traceable to a visa card at time of purchase. Just sayin'
2015-5-22
Use props
leojeremias
lvl.1

United States

Dangair Posted at 2015-5-23 14:09
A few thousand feet max?
I'll assume you mean 3,000 feet? Given that there is 5,280 feet in a mile ...

I am really not sure what you are saying or asking.
It was not a few thousand feet on the ground, it was in the air, and why wouldn't you be able to see a half mile in the air, or even a mile. This is LA all buildings are low and its clear skies.
2015-6-5
Use props
leojeremias
lvl.1

United States

They  offered a 50% discount to buy another one, which I think is a ridiculous settlement given it was completely their fault . I have accepted and paid again to buy this drone although I strongly urge all to buy the little drone called the parrot that has wheels and can be flown indoors and climbs walls and does somersaults and tricks. It is a lot more fun and reliable
http://www.amazon.com/Parrot-Min ... VSHGGYJVYBCXH5V13NB
and it only costs $80
2015-6-5
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

leojeremias Posted at 2015-6-6 03:33
I am really not sure what you are saying or asking.
It was not a few thousand feet on the ground,  ...

3000 feet is not a half a mile its closer to 2/3 of a mile. the aircraft is almost out of sight at 1500 feet in elevation and thats without lateral distance included. at 2000 feet this aircraft is but a pinpoint in the sky, if you look away you would have a real hard time trying to find it again. at 3000 feet she's a gonner. You will only see her at night with lights a flashing. at a mile even lights are outa sight.
2015-6-5
Use props
info
lvl.3
Flight distance : 647034 ft
United States

I have to agree with Dangair here. I am sorry leojeremias, but I do not see an argument against DJI here.
1) You were using unsupported hardware.
2) You admittedly had experienced several other instances of uncontrolled behavior.
3) You admittedly were operating over a densely populated area, whilst knowing about the above two points.
4) You were not flying line of site, nor did you have a spotter.
    4B) You think flying a few thousand feet away in a densely populated area is a good idea to begin with (and admittedly operating in the NAS (controlled airspace)), even if the above points were not an issue?

Come on man, let's be real, you messed up. I am not saying the I1 did not play a role in this failure, but you certainly set the stage. I think DJI was rather generous offering 50% off, given the story that you have posted. Not trying to poke at you, but please be more responsible with your next one, people could be seriously injured by your actions and/or property could be damaged.
2015-6-5
Use props
leojeremias
lvl.1

United States

info@thepixelbu Posted at 2015-6-6 04:29
I have to agree with Dangair here. I am sorry leojeremias, but I do not see an argument against DJI  ...

Looks like we have a DJI employee trying to defend its unfair business practices in trying to get public opinion on your side well since I was fully transparent in the description of what happened yet you managed to pick apart the story and try to lay blame LETS REVIEW
I have to agree with Dangair here. I am sorry leojeremias, but I do not see an argument against DJI here.
1) You were using unsupported hardware.
NOWHERE ON ANY OF THE DJI SITES MATERIAL OR STILL TODAY DOES IT SAY AN ANDROID DEVICE IS NOT SUPPORTED IN FACT I WOULD URGE YOU TO ADD THAT TO THE WEBSITE AND SAY AMAZON FIRE IS AN UNSUPPORTED DEVICE
2) You admittedly had experienced several other instances of uncontrolled behavior.
EXACTLY AND EACH TIME I EMAILED SUPPORT AND EVEN SENT IT BACK AFTER A CRASH NOT ONCE DID THEY OFFER ANY ADVICE OR EVEN ADDRESS THE ISSUE
3) You admittedly were operating over a densely populated area, whilst knowing about the above two points.
IT WAS A PARK !!!!!!!!IT FLEW AWAY INTO A DENSELY POPULATED AREA WHICH ONCE AGAIN IS DJI FAULT AND IF ANYONE WOULD GET HURT THEY COULD VERY WELL SUE DJI
4) You were not flying line of site, nor did you have a spotter.
I DID AND I HAD A SPOTTER
    4B) You think flying a few thousand feet away in a densely populated area is a good idea to begin with (and admittedly operating in the NAS (controlled airspace)), even if the above points were not an issue?
SEE ABOVE

Come on man, let's be real, you messed up. I am not saying the I1 did not play a role in this failure, but you certainly set the stage. I think DJI was rather generous offering 50% off, given the story that you have posted. Not trying to poke at you, but please be more responsible with your next one, people could be seriously injured by your actions and/or property could be damaged.
LETS BE REAL ...STFU AND GO BACK TO SPAMMING CUSTOMERS WITH NEWS ABOUT HOW ADVANCED AND UPDATED YOUR STUFF IS, THEY KEEP UPDATING THE SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE EVERY WEEK BECAUSE ITS DONE POORLY AND THEY RUSHED TO MARKET TO SELL THESE THINGS AND WONT BACK IT UP IN GOOD FAITH WHEN THEIR SOFTWARE IS FAULTY.
2015-6-7
Use props
kenmasters
lvl.1

Canada

I agree with OP.   Regardless of the technical issues, software bugs, operator error, whatever,  the unit should have flown back to home.  The flight logs should clearly show where home is and how many satellites it locked on.  If this is all reasonable, the unit should have flown back if there was an issue.   

We need cases like this so that existing owners are confident in their flights and know that the DJI will support its customers.  

2015-6-8
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Fred D Posted at 2015-5-10 22:03
Let me get this straight, your using an UNAPPROVED CHEAP CHINESE TABLET and you can't figure out why ...

Exactly what has been going on , pilot error , crash , dji its your fault give me a new inspire or my money back .... A joke for sure , or the firmware is no good and let's rewrite it over and over and over again causing the people without problems , problems .... Flight logs will tell the truth.
2015-6-8
Use props
leojeremias
lvl.1

United States

daver/m Posted at 2015-6-9 00:08
Exactly what has been going on , pilot error , crash , dji its your fault give me a new inspire or  ...

So Amazon Fire is a cheap Chinese device? NEWSFLASH the Iphone is made in China . Why is it always the least knowledgeable people feel the need to post here?
2015-6-8
Use props
kenmasters
lvl.1

Canada

daver/m Posted at 2015-6-9 00:08
Exactly what has been going on , pilot error , crash , dji its your fault give me a new inspire or  ...

The OP explained it clearly as an issue with the software.  

Are you a developer?  I am.  I am happy when customers find issues.  In this day and age, the majority of testing is done by its users now.   

Fixing a problem that may create another problem?  What logic are you using?   First you need to know what the problem is.   Verify it and then make the changes.    If the problem can't be isolated, then it can't be fixed.  Let those who are knowledgable to make the determination.  

Unfortunately, DJI doesn't collect enough data in its logs to determine all root causes.   It falls under a "grey zone" where hard to determine who fault it is.  Therefore, DJI has done the right thing and offered partial compensation.  
2015-6-8
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules