OSMO - capture sound with phone
744 12 2018-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansbcb7730c
lvl.1
Netherlands

Hi,

Last week we recieved our OSMO, what a great quality of videocaptering.
But there is also one point of disapointment. We use the OSMO to make instruction video's. So we need audio.
This is my setup:

I have an android phone with the DJI Go App
The Phone communicate with a samsung Stage wireless mic.
It capture the audio, on the (low quality) video wich is saved on the phone.
The hight quality (without audio) is saved on the SD card of the OSMO.

In premiere i want to merge those two files to one file.
But here is the first problem. The video on my phone isn't the same length as the video on my OSMO SDcard. (diffrents about 1 second).
So i can't sync the audio of the phone video (record with the Go app) with the video on the SD card.

In the link below, i have two files. One that was on my phone (capture with the Go app) and one capture with the OSMO.
As you can see, the files are not the same in lenght. But this should be the case. It is very frustrating.

https://we.tl/Y3HuzcIydP

Can anyone help me with a sollution?

Thanks in advance.

2018-2-13
Use props
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

What you are talking about is external audio syncing.  It is always an issue, even if your not using an Osmo.  There is no simple solution, unless you can somehow get it set up so that both the camera and the recorder start and stop at the EXACT same time, not you start one then immediately start the other, but the exact same time, you will have to sync it manually.

How do you do that?  You put the video track on one line, and the audio track below it and carefully slide the audio back and forth until it matches the video, it is a time consuming annoying process.  Alcohol may help.

If you are planning to continue to do this, than make it easier on yourself, create a clear audio and visual cue that will be on both the video, and in the audio file.  Ever see one of those old school film “clackers?”  That’s what those are for.  The camera sees the clacker close and the audio picks up the clack, now you just match them.  The start of the clack should precisely match the frame in the video where the clacked has first closed.

Here you go, this should get you started:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0140QUF9A/ref=asc_df_B0140QUF9A5369817/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B0140QUF9A&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198097616866&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10971947313163513400&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016817&hvtargid=pla-364167899658
2018-2-13
Use props
fansbcb7730c
lvl.1
Netherlands

9245 Posted at 2018-2-13 12:18
What you are talking about is external audio syncing.  It is always an issue, even if your not using an Osmo.  There is no simple solution, unless you can somehow get it set up so that both the camera and the recorder start and stop at the EXACT same time, not you start one then immediately start the other, but the exact same time, you will have to sync it manually.

How do you do that?  You put the video track on one line, and the audio track below it and carefully slide the audio back and forth until it matches the video, it is a time consuming annoying process.  Alcohol may help.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Its a little bit different. The small video is not recorded by a phone app... But it is the video witch is created by de DJI app on the phone. That video includes the audio. It is the same video as on my osmo. Only in low quality and with audio. The video on the SD card of my osmo, does not have audio.

So my idea was to add the audio from the low quality video to the high quality video. In case this is the same video. But the stranger thing is... The low quality video is 44 kHz and the high quality 48 kHz .
The low quality is exact the same video as the high quality, but the Total time is 1 sec shorter...
2018-2-13
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

This is a challenging process.  Not sure if I can help you on this one.
2018-2-13
Use props
lvl.4
United States

I’m not sure I am understanding.  You want to record your videos silent, but then add the sound from the cached version?

Why?

Why not just record your videos with sound?

If it’s because the Osmo’s internal microphone sucks, just plug in an external microphone.  It comes with an FM2, it’s not the best microphone but it is way better than what is in your phone.  Or you can use another one.  The Rode Video Micro should do well.
2018-2-13
Use props
fansbcb7730c
lvl.1
Netherlands

9245 Posted at 2018-2-13 19:54
I’m not sure I am understanding.  You want to record your videos silent, but then add the sound from the cached version?

Why?

Indeed i use an  external microphone... A wireless laravel microphone, because sometimes the persoon is to far of the osmo for recording... So i use the interval cache video, for the audio. Because thans the only option that i have audio from the external mic. Or is there an other option?

The mic does not fit directly in the osmo because it is a USB reciever. We connected in the USB C port of the phone.

But the strange thing is, that the cache video is shorter than the original. Thats why i cant sync.
2018-2-13
Use props
lvl.4
United States

fansbcb7730c Posted at 2018-2-13 22:03
Indeed i use an  external microphone... A wireless laravel microphone, because sometimes the persoon is to far of the osmo for recording... So i use the interval cache video, for the audio. Because thans the only option that i have audio from the external mic. Or is there an other option?

The mic does not fit directly in the osmo because it is a USB reciever. We connected in the USB C port of the phone.

I still don’t understand why you are using the cache video instead of just a regular audio recording app, it seems like you are needlessly creating work for yourself.

Unless it is a very expensive microphone, my advice is to sell it, and get one that can attach directly to your Osmo, that would solve your problem.

The cache video is just recorded from what is streamed to your phone.  It’s basicly recording your view finder, nice if you were flying a drone, but a bit redundant with the Osmo.  To answer your question about why the times are different, your phone is not connected directly to the Osmo, it is connected via WiFi, so there is a lag between what the camera sees and what you see on the screen.  So, when you turn your camera off, or stop recording, that is not instantly communicated to the phone.
2018-2-13
Use props
fansbcb7730c
lvl.1
Netherlands

9245 Posted at 2018-2-13 22:33
I still don’t understand why you are using the cache video instead of just a regular audio recording app, it seems like you are needlessly creating work for yourself.

Unless it is a very expensive microphone, my advice is to sell it, and get one that can attach directly to your Osmo, that would solve your problem.

Thanks. My question has now been answered.
So if I wanted to record with the same microphone. Then I'd better choose to use a separate app for the sound recording and then synchronize it?

Is there a good app that you recommended for this?
And which microphones that work wirelessly are suitable for the OSMO?
2018-2-13
Use props
fansbcb7730c
lvl.1
Netherlands

I am using this microphone and i have an idea but i am not sure it works. Maybe someone can give me advice.

I want to put the reviever directly in the osmo.. But the osmo did not have an usb port for audio.
Is it posible to use an "audio kacket to usb converter" and plugin the reviever directly into the osmo? The reviever had no battery so it must be powered by an external battery.

Anyone advice?
2018-2-13
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

This is my set up for my Smooth-Q.... Probably be the same for the Osmo for me
https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2018-2-14
Use props
fansbcb7730c
lvl.1
Netherlands

jeebs-9 Posted at 2018-2-14 06:44
This is my set up for my Smooth-Q.... Probably be the same for the Osmo for me
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Z4ROIW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015R0IQGW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hi Jeeps-9,

No this is not a wireless setting. I must have a lavalier wirreless setup. Because sometimes i must film someone with audio who's 20-30 meters away from the camera.
2018-2-14
Use props
lvl.4
United States

fansbcb7730c Posted at 2018-2-13 23:17
Thanks. My question has now been answered.
So if I wanted to record with the same microphone. Then I'd better choose to use a separate app for the sound recording and then synchronize it?

There are several available that would probably work, the one I use is just called “voice recorder,” but I’m sure better one’s are out there that allow mixing and such, but you can also do that in post, so I just went with a basic, and free, app.  Your microphone is more important than the app really.

But down forget the clapboard that I mentioned earlier, it will make things much easier for you once you have to sync the audio, unless your just doing a voice over, then you might be able to get away with not using one.
2018-2-14
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

fansbcb7730c Posted at 2018-2-14 06:51
Hi Jeeps-9,

No this is not a wireless setting. I must have a lavalier wirreless setup. Because sometimes i must film someone with audio who's 20-30 meters away from the camera.

My bad... Just re-read you OP.
2018-2-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules