Mavic Pro Perfect... till firmware upgrade
2160 36 2018-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Earhart
lvl.2
Flight distance : 257648 ft
Netherlands

Help? Everything was fine until I received a firmware upgrade notice. It fails each time. thru Dji4. Going direct fm drone via usb to Assistant 2 there is no recognition and it keeps saying I need to put the switch down; there IS no switch to push down on the Mavic Pro. I have no more video feed. The fan seems not to be running and during the last 'upgrade' the cooling plate on the bottom got extremely hot so I turned it off and removed the battery.

Mavic, I praised you to everybody who wanted to listen; now I'm not so happy anymore.

Help? Tnx. GeePee

2018-2-13
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13438648 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

have you tried resetting back to factory firmware? Have you tried another Pc or Mac.
2018-2-13
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Some screengrabs and your Go 4/DJI Assistant 2 and platform versions would help us help you.
2018-2-13
Use props
Earhart
lvl.2
Netherlands

Just tried aircraft 'check update' and came back: board overheated.
2018-2-13
Use props
Earhart
lvl.2
Netherlands

Earhart Posted at 2018-2-13 11:50
[view_image][view_image]

No picture, no update, no fan.
2018-2-13
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Suren Posted at 2018-2-13 10:20
have you tried resetting back to factory firmware? Have you tried another Pc or Mac.

It don't set it back to factory firmware it just set the firmware back to standard Dji settings.
2018-2-13
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

[view_image][view_image]

Is it just me which think this will newer work. App 4.2.5 AC FW 1.3.0700 RC FW 1.4.0300?
2018-2-13
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

I think maybe you are trying to update from AC FW 01.03.0700 to the latest 01.04.0300, there are many updates in between, you will probably have to do incremental updates to go from your current version to the latest version.
2018-2-13
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

No picture, no update, no fan.

A crazy and alternative suggestion that can not harm giving a try...
If you are a little smart and overheating prevent you from updating your drone firmware because the drone internal fan for some reason does not work (maybe temporarily) then you can probably cool enough from the outside side with an external fan designed for a computer or something similar.

Perhaps then you will be able to get your required firmware updates in place.
2018-2-13
Use props
Earhart
lvl.2
Netherlands

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-2-13 10:35
Some screengrabs and your Go 4/DJI Assistant 2 and platform versions would help us help you.

Did you see my pics?
2018-2-13
Use props
Earhart
lvl.2
Netherlands

Suren Posted at 2018-2-13 10:20

I cant seem to get to reset. Also, with this happening right after I tried to update, I doubt it is my Mac that is at fault; I'm sure you will agree.
2018-2-13
Use props
Earhart
lvl.2
Netherlands

FlyDK Posted at 2018-2-13 14:11
A crazy and alternative suggestion that can not harm giving a try...
If you are a little smart and overheating prevent you from updating your drone firmware because the drone internal fan for some reason does not work (maybe temporarily) then you can probably cool enough from the outside side with an external fan designed for a computer or something similar.

All of you... thanks for responding and helping. Keep in mind I do not choose a version. All I (think I) can do is hit 'upgrade' and the rest is done by DJI. Right? I don't know, I'm reading an awful lot about the firmware update Snafus. I'm telling: I was overjoyed with this drone and it literally stopped after I hit update. Sld have never done that I think. But I'm open to suggestions and will try keeping the drone outside but well within range. I dont understand why assist2 doesn't see the drone though when I go direct and wired!?  
2018-2-13
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

G_Sig is right, the firmware version in your AC differs from your RC, and that can't be good. Have you tried updating the RC using the latest version of DJI Assistant 2?

When using DJI Assistant 2 to update, the device being updated must be powered up. I would use the same cable that you use to charge the remote to attempt the update -- I've had no luck with other USB cables for some reason -- and then, if successful, try to do the same with the AC.

You may have to repeat the process to update your batteries as well.
2018-2-13
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-2-13 13:56
I think maybe you are trying to update from AC FW 01.03.0700 to the latest 01.04.0300, there are many updates in between, you will probably have to do incremental updates to go from your current version to the latest version.

AFAIK there are no incremental update requirements -- a Mavic Pro sold last year and never updated can be directly updated to the latest and greatest w/o issue.
2018-2-13
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Earhart Posted at 2018-2-13 15:22
All of you... thanks for responding and helping. Keep in mind I do not choose a version. All I (think I) can do is hit 'upgrade' and the rest is done by DJI. Right? I don't know, I'm reading an awful lot about the firmware update Snafus. I'm telling: I was overjoyed with this drone and it literally stopped after I hit update. Sld have never done that I think. But I'm open to suggestions and will try keeping the drone outside but well within range. I dont understand why assist2 doesn't see the drone though when I go direct and wired!?

I personally upgrade using Go 4 and have never had a problem doing so. Some folks speculate that flaky WiFi can cause updating issues due to interference and/or timeouts. Doing so from Go 4 has the advantage of updating your RC at the same time as it updates the AC, and the current battery, if needed.
2018-2-13
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Earhart Posted at 2018-2-13 15:22

Back in the day you used to be able to select which firmware version you wanted to install or revert to from a list provided in DJI Assistant, but it appears, possibly due to recent lockdowns, this is no longer a supported feature.
2018-2-13
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

I would definitely suggest DJI Assistant 2 as well. I always update by using the Assistant and have not experienced any problems so far.
2018-2-13
Use props
Earhart
lvl.2
Netherlands

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-2-13 16:29
G_Sig is right, the firmware version in your AC differs from your RC, and that can't be good. Have you tried updating the RC using the latest version of DJI Assistant 2?

When using DJI Assistant 2 to update, the device being updated must be powered up. I would use the same cable that you use to charge the remote to attempt the update -- I've had no luck with other USB cables for some reason -- and then, if successful, try to do the same with the AC.

Ex M... Thank you for a great suggestion: using the same cable. I had used two that didn't
show a connection. The original mini usb showed my de vice in Ass2 (). Does anybody know if I can go straight to the latest version or do l need to go thru each one (Im doing the first now and I've seen grass grow faster). still no fan but have an icepack under the cooling plate.
2018-2-14
Use props
Earhart
lvl.2
Netherlands

Earhart Posted at 2018-2-14 08:17
Ex M... Thank you for a great suggestion: using the same cable. I had used two that didn't
show a connection. The original mini usb showed my de vice in Ass2 (). Does anybody know if I can go straight to the latest version or do l need to go thru each one (Im doing the first now and I've seen grass grow faster). still no fan but have an icepack under the cooling plate.

Ex M... just read your bottom note abt going straight to the latest version. Here we go... !
2018-2-14
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Earhart Posted at 2018-2-14 08:17
show a connection. The original mini usb showed my de vice in Ass2 (). Does anybody know if I can go straight to the latest version or do l need to go thru each one (Im doing the first now and I've seen grass grow faster). still no fan but have an icepack under the cooling plate.

Glad it helped. You can just jump to the latest and greatest firmware version, but if you've already started, don't interupt the process as that can leave things in an unstable state.
2018-2-14
Use props
Earhart
lvl.2
Netherlands

OK... so as I wrote, the original usb wire worked to get the drone recognized by the Ass2 which allowed me the updates. Now I have both AC and RC at the latest version. All batteries updated as well. But still not happy: NO fan and NO camera. DJI? Help?
2018-2-14
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Earhart Posted at 2018-2-14 09:28
OK... so as I wrote, the original usb wire worked to get the drone recognized by the Ass2 which allowed me the updates. Now I have both AC and RC at the latest version. All batteries updated as well. But still not happy: NO fan and NO camera. DJI? Help?

Have you tried completely removing DJI Go 4 and reinstalling?  Make sure you first sync any unsynced logs and back up any vids or photos you want to keep!
2018-2-14
Use props
Celsus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

Try to  relink the RC to the aircraft Not sure why the fan would not be working.
2018-2-14
Use props
Earhart
lvl.2
Netherlands

Celsus Posted at 2018-2-14 12:01
Try to  relink the RC to the aircraft https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G52F4hlR4MA Not sure why the fan would not be working.

I removed the bottom plate, allowing access to the fan blades. not sure but I presume the blade should easily spin, which it does not, almost as of stuck against something (which wld make no sense).
2018-2-16
Use props
Celsus
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Earhart Posted at 2018-2-16 15:54
I removed the bottom plate, allowing access to the fan blades. not sure but I presume the blade should easily spin, which it does not, almost as of stuck against something (which wld make no sense).

I have not taken my MP apart to know if the fan should spin or not, my expectation would be that it should. That may explain the fan problem,  this could mean that other components that rely on the fan for cooling may have been damaged due to overheating. I would not try to free it off as another forum member may be able to confirm if the fan should be free to spin. The last thing you want to do is damage the fan if it is designed to be static when off. Hope this helps and you are back up and flying again soon.   
2018-2-17
Use props
Earhart
lvl.2
Netherlands

Celsus Posted at 2018-2-17 01:13
I have not taken my MP apart to know if the fan should spin or not, my expectation would be that it should. That may explain the fan problem,  this could mean that other components that rely on the fan for cooling may have been damaged due to overheating. I would not try to free it off as another forum member may be able to confirm if the fan should be free to spin. The last thing you want to do is damage the fan if it is designed to be static when off. Hope this helps and you are back up and flying again soon.

It is not the first time things are happening to the Mavic after a firmware upgrade. Any issue I google I find various people writing about having those issues. I find it extremely annoying that DJI doesn't take more responsibility, especially because we do love our Mavics. Audi had major issues back then and they took full responsibility. Now it seems everybody owns an Audi. DJI should do much more to assist people that have issues after DJI basically demands an upgrade.
2018-2-17
Use props
RL_XXI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 456 ft
United States

Earhart Posted at 2018-2-17 15:49
It is not the first time things are happening to the Mavic after a firmware upgrade. Any issue I google I find various people writing about having those issues. I find it extremely annoying that DJI doesn't take more responsibility, especially because we do love our Mavics. Audi had major issues back then and they took full responsibility. Now it seems everybody owns an Audi. DJI should do much more to assist people that have issues after DJI basically demands an upgrade.

DJI demands upgrade?  Did they hold your arm behind your back and twist it or hold a gun to your head? I get an onscreen display saying a new version is available but it's optional.
2018-2-17
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008924 ft
United States

I have always done the firmware update through the App. I have never experienced one problem. My buddies it on them have never had a problem as well. Something tells me people are doing something wrong.
2018-2-17
Use props
RL_XXI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 456 ft
United States

fansf77370fb Posted at 2018-2-17 16:32
I have always done the firmware update through the App. I have never experienced one problem. My buddies it on them have never had a problem as well. Something tells me people are doing something wrong.

I've never used the app to update just the assist on pc and haven't had a problem.
2018-2-17
Use props
Celsus
Second Officer
United Kingdom

RL_XXI Posted at 2018-2-17 16:43
I've never used the app to update just the assist on pc and haven't had a problem.

Agreed. I always use the DJI Assistant is my preferred option as you have a cable connection that removes the possibility of wireless data transfer glitches. I have had no update problems with my MP or Goggles.
2018-2-18
Use props
fans1debd09b
New
United Kingdom

I just downloaded the new firmware to my mavic pro and then afterwards I also tried to auto calibrate the gimbal after firmware update but now the calibration gets to 77% and then stops completely
2018-2-18
Use props
Earhart
lvl.2
Netherlands

fans1debd09b Posted at 2018-2-18 14:07
I just downloaded the new firmware to my mavic pro and then afterwards I also tried to auto calibrate the gimbal after firmware update but now the calibration gets to 77% and then stops completely

Well Fans, according to some here that could only be your own fault because nobody twisted your arm and they never had an issue updating, therefore nobody sld have an issue updating. Like they didn't get into an accident today, therefore nobody else sld have. Sorry I'm a bit cynical here but couldnt help myself. I'm still waiting for DJI to get involved. I hope, as was suggested already, I don't have serious issues since the drone clearly must have overheated with the fan not working.
2018-2-18
Use props
fans27efbd6c
New

United States

I just bought a dji spark and I could even get the initial firmware to update for the rc. It kept giving me this error that I need to restart the equipment and start again. After doing that 3 times I guessed something worse was a problem so I went on the forum. They suggested updating with another phone to get the rc update. I don't have another phone. Another post said he tried that with 3 different phones and a Tab A. That was evidence enough for me to start putting it all back in the box and returning it to best buy. Today is the next day, I decide maybe I'll upgrade and spend a little more and get a magic pro. I look at support forums and people are having the exact same issues. No thanks, if I am going to spend several hundred dollars on something, I want it to work. Don't give me this have you tried this, this, and this? No I tried whay you have in the quick start guide. if that doesn't work, then your product shouldn't be on the shelf yet. Simple as that.
2018-2-19
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
United States

I don’t know why so many people have problems. I have yet to ever have a problem doing updates. I know several other people that have never had an issue as well. I before I go out to fly I always check for updates. When it tells me there is a update I click OK let it do it’s thing and I’m done. Never have I ever experienced a problem after a firmware update. I have never even experienced the app shutting down. And I am using a mini pad 2.
2018-2-19
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
United States

fans27efbd6c Posted at 2018-2-19 05:23
I just bought a dji spark and I could even get the initial firmware to update for the rc. It kept giving me this error that I need to restart the equipment and start again. After doing that 3 times I guessed something worse was a problem so I went on the forum. They suggested updating with another phone to get the rc update. I don't have another phone. Another post said he tried that with 3 different phones and a Tab A. That was evidence enough for me to start putting it all back in the box and returning it to best buy. Today is the next day, I decide maybe I'll upgrade and spend a little more and get a magic pro. I look at support forums and people are having the exact same issues. No thanks, if I am going to spend several hundred dollars on something, I want it to work. Don't give me this have you tried this, this, and this? No I tried whay you have in the quick start guide. if that doesn't work, then your product shouldn't be on the shelf yet. Simple as that.

I would only take what you read with a grain of salt. You hear a lot of bad things but you never hear the good. If I went with everything that I’ve read I never would have bought MP. Be glad you bought it at Best Buy. If you ever have a problem just box it up bring it back and exchange it.
2018-2-19
Use props
Earhart
lvl.2
Netherlands

fans27efbd6c Posted at 2018-2-19 05:23
I just bought a dji spark and I could even get the initial firmware to update for the rc. It kept giving me this error that I need to restart the equipment and start again. After doing that 3 times I guessed something worse was a problem so I went on the forum. They suggested updating with another phone to get the rc update. I don't have another phone. Another post said he tried that with 3 different phones and a Tab A. That was evidence enough for me to start putting it all back in the box and returning it to best buy. Today is the next day, I decide maybe I'll upgrade and spend a little more and get a magic pro. I look at support forums and people are having the exact same issues. No thanks, if I am going to spend several hundred dollars on something, I want it to work. Don't give me this have you tried this, this, and this? No I tried whay you have in the quick start guide. if that doesn't work, then your product shouldn't be on the shelf yet. Simple as that.

Make sure you use the original usb wire for upgrades. As I wrote, I tried with two different ones and only when I used the original one, it worked.
2018-2-19
Use props
Earhart
lvl.2
United States

Mavic experts: After the above I was able to get my firmware updated in both rc and ac. I replaced the fan. Still no camera picture. I was told to change the 20+wire ribbon which I did. Still no picture. I was told to change the lens which I did. still no picture. Anybody any clue before I have to send it in?
2018-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules