Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
brad
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66824 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi All,

Received my Phantom 3 yesterday. Read through the instruction manual front to back, charged everything up and took it out for the first flight this morning. Much to my disappointment, I was noticing a fairly noticable jello effect on the video (yes I removed the gimbal brace...) I'm chatting with DJI technical support now and will let you all know how I fare. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? What do you all think? Gimbal issue? Prop balance issue? I'll work on uploading a longer clip later (that shows the effect MUCH more noticably) but for now here's a quick clip:     Also - seems as though I'm not the only one... ()
2015-4-30
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Make sure you take off the polystyrene block from behind the gimbal... Also remember to remove the plastic film on the front of the lens ;)
vy8nSK8.jpg
2015-4-30
Use props
vmp
lvl.3

United States

When you say that you removed the brace, do you mean the plastic piece? There is also another WHITE FOAM piece attached to the gimbal that needs to be removed.

2015-4-30
Use props
brad
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

*Raises eyebrow* That..may...do it...
In all my discussions with the techs and reading the boards, I was under impression it was a flat piece that sat between the shock dampener plate where the camera hangs from and the body of the aircraft. It may be that I looked right past the foam as it may have blended it. I'll take a look as soon as I get home... (darn work getting in the way of my fun!!! haha). Sploodge & vmp - thanks for the replies and assistance!
2015-4-30
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

let us know if that worked
2015-4-30
Use props
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

Interestingly in the few unboxing videos I've watched, none of them have removed this piece of foam from behind the camera/gimbal??  I don't remember even seeing it still attached??  
2015-4-30
Use props
adrien
New

France

It's difficult to miss it, there is a red sticker with "Remove before flight"
2015-4-30
Use props
brad
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Turns out when it was packed originally, it looks like they tore that foam padding. I found part of it at the bottom of the box and there was a small non-visible piece that was still wedged in there that was causing the issue. NOWHERE in there was a red sticker that said "Remove before flight"

Once removed, the video was absolutely gorgeous!
2015-4-30
Use props
willlittlejohn
New

United States

Wow!  I had the exact same jello problem, and the foam padding was also the culprit.  In my case, the foam was intact and did not have any "Remove before flight" sticker.  Very easy to miss this when unpacking.
2015-5-17
Use props
ianbradbury34
lvl.2
Flight distance : 218435 ft
Malta

willlittlejohn@ Posted at 2015-5-18 02:13
Wow!  I had the exact same jello problem, and the foam padding was also the culprit.  In my case, th ...

I am exactly the same. First two videos TERRIBLE Jello.  Now I see the white foam is still there !!  No 'Remove before Flight' sticker on mine either...
2015-5-17
Use props
brynmelyn
New
Flight distance : 42454 ft
United Kingdom

I have removed all the packaging (although the first flight did have the piece of foam still attached) but there is still a marked jello effect . The video also shows how jerky a basic pan is. Are there any specific settings for the camera to overcome this? Is there away to de-sensitise the sticks to get a slower response? (I have already lengthened the left stick (Yaw) to try to slow it down)
2015-5-30
Use props
TomWolves
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110577 ft
United States

Does any body have a clue what is causing Jello effect in my video? Everything is removed, no Styrofoam pieces,  nothing all clear. When I played my video back on my PC "media player" the video was clear and awesome, BUT!!! there was jello effect. Could it be I am using MOV format and not MP4 ? Thank you for your knowledge.
2015-6-3
Use props
Mooseshooz
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I swapped to MP4 no Jello now!
2015-6-18
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

Mooseshooz Posted at 2015-6-19 02:41
I swapped to MP4 no Jello now!

has nothing to do with jello at all, its caused because of vibrations not a file format. Im sorry but i guess you saw something different or placebo effect. I used MP4 since i got it, it will change nothing
2015-6-18
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

brynmelyn@barri Posted at 2015-5-31 00:26
I have removed all the packaging (although the first flight did have the piece of foam still attache ...

Turn more slowly. When you think it's going to take forever to turn, slow that down too!

I feel your pain. In 4K mode it seems very difficult to pan slowly enough - virtually anything seems too fast. I've been using three tricks:

(1) Screw the turns/pans - cut 'em out during the editing process! (Create a transition so you "flow" from one scene into the next.)
(2) Practice, practice, practice
(3) Instead of stopping and panning, try moving forward *very* slowly and turning *very* slowly at the same time. It may just be my opinion, but it certainly seems like the forward motion either detracts or subtracts from the "bumpy" feeling the pan produces.
2015-6-18
Use props
devdavi
lvl.1

United States

aburkefl is right, slow it wayyyyy down. You'll be pleasantly surprised when you see the results of painfully slow turns. Also, the sticks have notches in them to help you visually check your speed. Test these out, turn by only going 1 notch left, then 2, then 3, and so on. When you watch the recorded video you'll be able to tell what worked best for you and what you like. The more you practice the more 2nd nature this will become and you'll hit those marks without much thought.
2015-6-18
Use props
Mooseshooz
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Daninho Posted at 2015-6-19 02:55
has nothing to do with jello at all, its caused because of vibrations not a file format. Im sorry b ...

You're right, just checked another video and its back
2015-6-19
Use props
Mooseshooz
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Mooseshooz Posted at 2015-6-19 22:49

Shop diagnosed a faulty gimball, sent in today so will report back soon. If you power up without props, then gently touch the side of the gimball you can feel it vibrating, I think it's a gimball motor fault?
2015-6-25
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Mooseshooz Posted at 2015-6-19 22:49

You're in the U.K. so your sun may not be as bright as others are used to. You *do* get *some* sunshine once in a while don't you? Just kidding!

One of the other posters in this thread is in the U.S. I don't know where he/she is physically located, but, if it's in an area where they can experience bright or very bright sunlight, all that light is often the culprit of the dreaded jello effect.

You can adjust your ISO only down to 100 - you cannot go any lower than that. On a really bright day (and even on not-so-bright days) ISO 100 is simply not nearly low enough - too much light gets to the camera sensor, trying to "blow out" the exposure. The auto camera system compensates for so much light by speeding up the shutter, i.e., trying to keep all that light down to a dull roar. Then your shutter speed suddenly becomes a big problem.

The shutter opens and closes so rapidly that it barely has enough time to capture the information it needs to capture, then it slams shut (figuratively speaking) and starts another sequence and you suddenly experience a "shifting" of the image because it can't quite "catch up." This "shifting" effect from frame to frame creates what everyone now identifies as "the jello effect." It looks like all your images (frames) are shimmering as if they were pictures painted on the flat surfaces of jello.

One other problem. You can pan (rotate on the camera/Phantom axis) faster than you can fly - in *any* direction. Now, with a very fast shutter speed, if you're panning, you'll create this horrible "choppy" effect. On the plus side, if you needed to capture a still from that piece of your video, a very fast shutter speed will stop the action. But, all other things being equal, you'll get this "...I think I'm going to throw up...." reaction from viewers (and you as well!) reaction to that fast panning motion.

Put some sunglasses on your camera (ND filters) and you'll regain better control over your choice of ISO, slow the shutter speed down and even the panning starts to get smoother.

The bad news in all this? Even with that, you can accomplish terrific improvement with the panning/turning by sloooooowing it down as much as you can stand it. Eventually, we've been promised a feature known as POI (Point of Interest). POI lets you "target" something and fly by/around it, keeping it constantly in the camera frame. With a decent amount of practice, you can learn to do fly-bys and circling objects with POI. From what I've seen, though, the POI can be very impressive!

Enjoy!
2015-6-26
Use props
Mooseshooz
lvl.1

United Kingdom

some good new, after the camera was replaced , and with the ND gel mod the Jello has all gone Video is now crisp and smooth.
2015-7-5
Use props
ianbristow1993
New

United States

did you calibrate the IMU? there is one for the gimbal and one for the camera.
2015-10-8
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Mooseshooz Posted at 2015-6-26 02:28
Shop diagnosed a faulty gimball, sent in today so will report back soon. If you power up without p ...

This is the key to the problem, the gimbal vibrating is what is causing jello, nothing else.
2015-10-9
Use props
beigs
lvl.1
United States

sploodge@sky.co Posted at 2015-4-30 21:33
Make sure you take off the polystyrene block from behind the gimbal... Also remember to remove the p ...

I know this suggestion was put up awhile ago, but.....Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!  

I got my P3P this week, took a dozen videos that looked absolutely horrible with jello, bouncing and vibration.  I was about to return it to the store when I stumbled on this post.  Sure enough...little white foam piece right between the gimbal and the unit.  Removed it, now the videos look just as good as what I'm seeing online.

Thanks again!!!
2015-12-11
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

beigs Posted at 2015-12-11 19:00
I know this suggestion was put up awhile ago, but.....Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!   ...

You are welcome.. Enjoy the P3P

Have a good look around here as well as RCG's P3 thread here - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2384430 - Lots and lots of good info.
2015-12-11
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

I rec'd my P3S and there was no foam piece at all holding that gimbal .... only the clear hard plastic gimbal lock and sticky tape across the flat area. I have that slight jello effect in all my videos ...

I have done IMU and camera calibration ... done everything possible.

Here's a video as example from it ...

Nigel
2016-11-1
Use props
fans863cf47a
New
United States

Jello effect on new phantom 3 4K
2017-3-26
Use props
fans863cf47a
New
United States

DJI said would send a shipping label . All I got was an address to mail it myself and pay shipping both ways . Was told there would be a 10- 15 day turnaround on fixing it .
2017-3-26
Use props
djiuser_tybaZCS
New
United States

You can expect "jello" effect after the first crash. The props need just one little nip, scratch or scuff... and thats all it takes. Replace the scratched props, then buy a cheap, second drone for FPV-style flying.  Newbies don't fully realize Phantoms are made for slow, professional photography. Don't confuse an expensive drone to a bag of DORITOS.
2017-12-7
Use props
djiuser_tybaZCS
New
United States

solentlife Posted at 2016-11-1 05:27
I rec'd my P3S and there was no foam piece at all holding that gimbal .... only the clear hard plastic gimbal lock and sticky tape across the flat area. I have that slight jello effect in all my videos ...

I have done IMU and camera calibration ... done everything possible.

You can expect "jello" effect after the first crash. The props need just one little nip, scratch or scuff... and thats all it takes. Replace the scratched props, then buy a cheap, second drone for FPV-style flying.  Newbies don't fully realize Phantoms are made for slow, professional photography. Don't confuse an expensive drone to a bag of DORITOS.
2017-12-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules