[Mavic Air] First flight... seems slow compared to my Spark
2771 18 2018-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansfb7ef039
lvl.1
Flight distance : 147569 ft
United States

So I just flew the Air for the first time this morning and my first impression is that it seems slow compared to my Spark... I'm not sure what it is, might just be me and the fact that the Spark is smaller but just 'feels' slower... Any one else feel the same?? Beginner mode was off and this is GPS mode, not Sport mode

2018-2-14
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

No try to sign out of the app and sign back in the DJI mavic air is significantly faster in P mode and sport mode
2018-2-14
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, we appreciate the feedback that you provided. However, based on the records, Mavic air is faster than spark at Max speed 42 MPH while spark is at 31 MPH. Speed might be affected by the environment or by the wind. We are always here to support, the next time that you will fly it again and notice that you are experiencing the same thing at the normal speed of the wind. Please let us know. Thanks!
2018-2-14
Use props
fansfb7ef039
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-14 17:14
Hi,

Hi...?????
2018-2-14
Use props
Berg I Imagery
First Officer
Flight distance : 70577 ft
United States

The Air is *way* faster than the Spark.  I'd make sure you weren't in any quick shot modes, as that will slow it down automatically.  I've had both, the Air is MUCH faster even in non-sport.
2018-2-14
Use props
fansfb7ef039
lvl.1
United States

Berg I Imagery Posted at 2018-2-14 20:47
The Air is *way* faster than the Spark.  I'd make sure you weren't in any quick shot modes, as that will slow it down automatically.  I've had both, the Air is MUCH faster even in non-sport.

The Spark sport mode is faster than the Air in normal mode, unless you’re telling me the Air in normal mode is faster than the Spark in sport... then there’s definitely something wrong with mine if that’s the case.
2018-2-14
Use props
28wins
lvl.3

United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-14 17:14
Hi, we appreciate the feedback that you provided. However, based on the records, Mavic air is faster than spark at Max speed 42 MPH while spark is at 31 MPH. Speed might be affected by the environment or by the wind. We are always here to support, the next time that you will fly it again and notice that you are experiencing the same thing at the normal speed of the wind. Please let us know. Thanks!

@ DJI Thor
@ DJI Support

When used with DJI Go 4 app to control the aircraft (via WiFi), the Mavic Air ascent and descent speed seems slower than the Spark and rotation too.

From https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info

Max Ascent Speed        
2 m/s (Wi-Fi mode)
Max Descent Speed
1 m/s (Wi-Fi mode)

No comparative specs are posted.

Max Ascent Speed        
? m/s (Wi-Fi mode)
Max Descent Speed
? m/s (Wi-Fi mode)

Can you please edit/ remedy that?

2018-2-14
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfb7ef039 Posted at 2018-2-14 20:51
The Spark sport mode is faster than the Air in normal mode, unless you’re telling me the Air in normal mode is faster than the Spark in sport... then there’s definitely something wrong with mine if that’s the case.

You need to compare Apples and Apples

MA and Spark in Standard or

MA and Spark in Sport

Not crossed over
2018-2-14
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
United States

Here ya go mavic air has a faster p-mode then spark....
....mavic air has a faster sport mode then spark....
....spark p mode i think 7 or 8 mph

...mavic air p mode 18 mph

...spark sport 31 mph....

...mavic air sport mode 42.5
2018-2-15
Use props
fansfb7ef039
lvl.1
United States

so I just went out and flew both my Spark and Mavic Air again and, yes, top speed on the Air is faster but acceleration-wise the Spark really does has more power from a dead stop. It changes direction much faster. I'm not sure if you guys are seeing this as well. Also, like the other poster said, the Spark has faster ascent and descent speeds as well.

2018-2-15
Use props
fansfb7ef039
lvl.1
United States

check out this video:
2018-2-15
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
United States

So spark accelerates a little faster then the air. Especially in shorter distances. I know dji can adjust up/down vel they already did with .100 fw for sport mode....so yea it was actually a little slower! Hopefully they tweak these settings more. For faster accel going forward they need to tweak the tilt_atti settings.... I have tried it and tweaked it all it does is make it go faster than 42 miles per hour and it sure does get faster but the gimbal tilts down even further in sport mode I didn't like it so I went back to stock
2018-2-16
Use props
The flying dodo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 508255 ft
Belgium

I made my first flight today, I had the same impression. And I also noticed that, it brakes very quickly, making a strong inclination in the back. The spark was softer in the braking .
2018-2-16
Use props
Kibosh 3
lvl.3
Canada

Was APAS mode enable on AIR?

I've found that APAS can significantly slow down AIR (when not in Sport Mode, of course)
2018-2-16
Use props
Kibosh 3
lvl.3
Canada

Was APAS mode enable on AIR?

I've found that APAS can significantly slow down AIR (when not in Sport Mode, of course)
2018-2-16
Use props
fansfb7ef039
lvl.1
United States

nope.. APAS was off.. basically settings were all out of hte box, so no APAS, no quickshot
2018-2-16
Use props
Schmooit
First Officer
Flight distance : 1336581 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I Agree Just had a chance today to take her out for a test run and Sport mode is insane for such a small rig but normal mode seems a bit sluggish compared to the spark just maybe not as responsive or maybe ive just been spoiled with the MPP I did get the mavic to replace the spark but was thinking it might be a bit more nippy (to be fair to get smooth shots from the spark it needed to slow down anyway but still!
2018-3-24
Use props
Adam_B
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5969790 ft
Australia

I am also disappointed with Mavic Air's capability in SPORTS Mode. When flying into a mild head wind, I can achieve 34 km/h in Sports Mode, but get 30km/h in GPS (normal) mode. I would have expected a greater difference between the two. Yesterday, when also flying into a Head Wind, my SPORTS Mode could only achieve 12km/h, however it increased to 19km/h when I flicked it into GPS Mode. Figure that out.
2018-5-6
Use props
Adam_B
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5969790 ft
Australia

I am also disappointed with Mavic Air's capability in SPORTS Mode. When flying into a mild head wind, I can achieve 34 km/h in Sports Mode, but get 30km/h in GPS (normal) mode. I would have expected a greater difference between the two. Yesterday, when also flying into a Head Wind, my SPORTS Mode could only achieve 12km/h, however it increased to 19km/h when I flicked it into GPS Mode. Figure that out.
2018-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules