Mavic Air Fail during Boomerang QuickShot Mode
4101 10 2018-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CHSDrone1
lvl.2
United States

Hey everyone,

I'm a newbie drone pilot - just took delivery of my Mavic Air on Monday.  So far the drone has functioned and handled like a dream - super easy to take photos & videos.  However today something interesting happened.  I was testing out the different quick shot modes in a public park and the Mavic Air handled the dronie shot perfectly ... but then when I selected Boomerang the drone moved laterally and crashed into a tree.  Luckily the drone escaped with zero damage - either to the propellers or to the drone itself ... in fact the drone kept flying like a champ.  But ... the big question I have for everyone is shouldn't the drone have detected the tree? Thanks!
2018-2-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi CHSDrone1. We're sorry to hear of the incident. Glad to hear that the drone is okay. The Mavic Air has sensors in the front, back, and bottom. Please make sure to fly in an area free of obstacles that may hit the drone from the sides when using Quickshot modes.
2018-2-14
Use props
RichInGa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 449344 ft
United States

I think the obstacle detection is great, but don't rely upon it.  If I see the drone headed for disaster -- I'll hit the pause button and the drone will stop. One of the things I like to tell new pilots is to get a cheap drone and practice with that whenever you get a chance.  I have a Mavic Air, 2 3DR Solos, Hubsan 501c -- but I probably have flown the most out of my $20 mini whoop.  I'll practice smooth turns, manual orbits, transitions from forward flight to flying sideways (while still going in the same direction)  Inverse orbits,  Helix -- all in my living room during a commercial break.
2018-2-14
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Man

You need to look at where you are flying before you try the quickshots. Choose a big open area
2018-2-14
Use props
Tadango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232359 ft
United Kingdom

Boomerang means it flies to the sides, and it does not have sensors there. The same with any autonomous flying mode.....
2018-2-14
Use props
CHSDrone1
lvl.2
United States

Thanks everyone - luckily the drone only brushed some branches from the tree and remains unscathed.   I really wasn't familiar with the flight pattern of the boomerang mode and figured that the drone would sense the tree.  Lesson learned ...  I'll only use boomerang in big wide open areas.  
2018-2-15
Use props
fans6e44dc92
lvl.2
Flight distance : 161831 ft
Turkey

I’m having the exact same issue... boomerang mode is not workıng right
2018-6-24
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fans6e44dc92 Posted at 2018-6-24 03:49
I’m having the exact same issue... boomerang mode is not workıng right

Hi, sorry for the inconvenience, would it be possible if you can upload a video of the issue, you can use dropbox and google drive then provide the link here? may I have the model of your phone and DJI Go 4 app version as well?
2018-6-24
Use props
fans6e44dc92
lvl.2
Turkey

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-6-24 14:47
Hi, sorry for the inconvenience, would it be possible if you can upload a video of the issue, you can use dropbox and google drive then provide the link here? may I have the model of your phone and DJI Go 4 app version as well?

Here is the Sample 1

My Phones are Samsung Note8 & Iphone X
Go 4 app Last version
2018-6-26
Use props
fans6e44dc92
lvl.2
Turkey

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-6-24 14:47

Here is the second sample

after second update its start to fail & draw different circles

please fix it
2018-6-26
Use props
Wantedj
New

Kazakhstan

I have had exactly the same issue few days ago! But my mavic crashed more seriously than one's above.
2019-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules