Flying the Phantom 3 Standard In cold temps
829 8 2018-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dhillskiier1653
lvl.2
Flight distance : 391818 ft
United States

Is there any way to fly a Phantom 3s in cold temperatures without having the temperature warning and having the drone not allow itself to take off?
2018-2-15
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Put the battery in your pocket for about 30 min or longer before flight.  I have heard of people actually putting it in the oven  just for a very short time.
2018-2-15
Use props
Toorboy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 657382 ft
United Kingdom

I put the batteries down my sleeves so they get my body heat in between
jumpers if I am wearing two under my jacket iv never had any issues flying the p3
2018-2-15
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

I've flown mine  last week in freezing (28 f) temps.

The aircraft, batteries, RC, myself,  everything was warm from being in the house.

From the house to a warm car.    I set everything up in the car,  up to the point of turning everything on (attached props, phone in the holder, preflight visual checks, etc.).

When ready,  opened the car door,  put the P3S on the ground about 10 feet from the car,  turned on the RC, turned on the AC,   ran back to warm, running car.   Then  ran through pre-flight startup checklist.
Took off and hovered about 10 feet up for about 30 seconds to make sure everything was ok.    Then flew as normal.   The only warnings I got were "interference", as I was in an urban area.

The AC performed flawlessly.

Sid
2018-2-15
Use props
SDolan79
lvl.1
Flight distance : 202746 ft
United States

I agree with sidtx, i haven't had any issues and i'm in the Chicago area. it's been upper teens - 20s f here. keep it warm in between and all has been good.
2018-2-15
Use props
Dhillskiier1653
lvl.2
Flight distance : 391818 ft
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-2-15 05:30
Put the battery in your pocket for about 30 min or longer before flight.  I have heard of people actually putting it in the oven  just for a very short time.

I would go outside from in my warm house and had problems and the only times I didn't have problems is if it is above 35 F and that happened two days ago. So far, that was the only day I flew this winter. Every other time I got a "Battery needs to be above 15 C to take off"
2018-2-16
Use props
JackA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 32057 ft
United States

If the rear lights are flashing yellow, and the "battery needs to be above... before take off" warning is displayed; just wait a few minutes and the batteries will warm up and you will be able to take off.
2018-2-16
Use props
djiuser_0eEMvimZuRjN
New
United States

I ran mine last month in -4F.....no issues.
2018-2-17
Use props
SITKAMICK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 561411 ft
United States

I bought a battery heater from dji and it heats up the battery using the battery itself and only about 3-5% of the charge, usually takes about 10-15 minutes.  Works fine for me here in Alaska.
2018-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules