2411 19 2018-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
exos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 425486 ft
Canada

Hi,

After a few researches, I've found that the Mavic Pro has a "center hot spot" issue, where the center of DNG images are warmer in tone, and the edges (circular) are less exposed, kind of a vignetting effect. The Mavic Air has the exact same problem. I have made a develop preset in Acdsee Ultimate to compensate for that, but it's a bit dissapointing to have that kind of problem with a 1k drone. If anybody is interested to get that preset for Acdsee, I will make it available. I have yet to make another preset for Edit mode to compensate for the color shift.

without editing

without editing
PANO0022Preset.jpg
2018-2-15
Use props
fans356367d4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1480344 ft
United States

I can certainly imagine an image that would better illustrate the effect. Perhaps a cloudy day, looking down on a baseball or football field?
2018-2-15
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

Yeah.. I agree this is not the best example. I'll try to find a better one.
2018-2-15
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

Here is a better example. I still need to work on the radial gradients a little, but that gives you an idea.

original.jpg
preset.jpg
2018-2-15
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

I think I pretty much nailed it :
Nahhh ... not yet
PANO0011.jpg
2018-2-15
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

This is really frustrating....
2018-2-15
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

Ok now I think I've got it. I have left the blue-cyan hue to better show the result. But that means yet another step to correct the picture. This is on AWB... only the center portion had the correct white balance...So I guess it's not really a "center hot spot", but rather a "cold blue large vignetting".
PANO0011.jpg
2018-2-15
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Seriously? Dont see anything lol...yall complain over the weirdest things smh
2018-2-15
Use props
AM0
Second Officer
Flight distance : 415554 ft
Estonia

I would also call it a vignetting. This happens with most lenses, some people don't like it and some do :-)
In digital age this is usually corrected in image processing phase inside the device. That's why you can see it only in RAW/DNG images
Sometimes if you have a polarizing filter not adjusted properly you could see something like this happen.
You don't have any polarizing filters in front of your lens?
2018-2-15
Use props
pawel_g
lvl.3
Flight distance : 509268 ft
Poland

DJI has a kind of document about that phenomenon which happens when distance from lens to sensor is very small.
In case of Mavic Air I found this spot easily correctable (in Lightroom) as its seems to be purely white balance shift towards corners. So using simple center circular filter with some adjusted WB solves the problem. Of course you have to shoot DNG.

Br, Pawel.
2018-2-16
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

So is this only visible in RAW? Meaning DJI correct this in their "development" to JPG? I'll have to keep an eye out for this as I've only been messing with JPG so far but plan to use RAW when I want "keeper" shots.
2018-2-16
Use props
pawel_g
lvl.3
Poland

Cameleon Posted at 2018-2-16 00:52
So is this only visible in RAW? Meaning DJI correct this in their "development" to JPG? I'll have to keep an eye out for this as I've only been messing with JPG so far but plan to use RAW when I want "keeper" shots.

Nope. I've written about DNG because correcting WB in JPG almost always finishes with huge quality loss and banding. Of course this is also visible in JPG.

Br, pawel
2018-2-16
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
United Kingdom

pawel_g Posted at 2018-2-16 02:14
Nope. I've written about DNG because correcting WB in JPG almost always finishes with huge quality loss and banding. Of course this is also visible in JPG.

Br, pawel

Oh that's bad! I've not noticed that in my images, but then again I've not looked closely. I was expecting that this was a known "characteristic" of the lens/sensor that DJI were correcting in processing. I have had several cameras that correct for lens distortions/vignetting/CA in processing to JPG but leave them uncorrected in RAW/DNG and you have to correct them yourself in post. Really bad if this is left in the DJI defects. Wonder if this is a defect with the model or a quality control issue?
2018-2-16
Use props
pawel_g
lvl.3
Poland

I guess its neither defect nor quality control. Laws of physics - if you have such small lens so close to the sensor - that is how light behaves. Of course it would be good if DJI apply some correction in JPG processing (I guess they can do it as they fixed that mostly on Mavic Pro).

It will not be visible in summer conditions where scenes are much more "complex". The snow scenario is the worst.

Br, pawel.
2018-2-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That is weird indeed.
2018-2-16
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

If I l look good enough I can see this happening to me to, hoping that this can be fixed with a firmware update.
2018-2-16
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

It is NOT visible wih JPEGS. I guess DJI already applies a correction to both video and JPEGS. The pictures I've attached are from DNG's.
2018-2-16
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

pawel_g Posted at 2018-2-16 00:28
DJI has a kind of document about that phenomenon which happens when distance from lens to sensor is very small.
In case of Mavic Air I found this spot easily correctable (in Lightroom) as its seems to be purely white balance shift towards corners. So using simple center circular filter with some adjusted WB solves the problem. Of course you have to shoot DNG.

It is not only WB. The exposure also has to be corrected, in my case anyways.
2018-2-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

exos Posted at 2018-2-16 06:06
It is NOT visible wih JPEGS. I guess DJI already applies a correction to both video and JPEGS. The pictures I've attached are from DNG's.

That makes sense indeed.
Not visible with JPG.
But it is far from what you would want.
2018-2-16
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
United Kingdom

exos Posted at 2018-2-16 06:06

That makes more sense. Shame the required correction is more than distortion adjustments that are usually required when processing RAW. Makes it a lot more involved to process the RAWs. I will probably save RAWs for real keeper shots that I want printed and on the wall and use built in JPG for posting to Facebook/Insta/etc to save a load of post processing effort every time.
2018-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules