Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneSupremacy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2060915 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Hey guys!

In the video below, I'm checking out how well the APAS obstacle avoidance system works in the new Mavic Air. Turns out, there are some interesting discoveries about this feature!
Oh, and let's not forget - watch the video to see my 1st crash with the DJI Mavic Air. Pilot error, but still - interesting to see in my opinion. And don't worry - the drone is completely safe, this thing is a beast!

What do you think about APAS? Are you using it regularly or nah?
2018-2-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Good job and thank you for the tips.
2018-2-18
Use props
windgate
lvl.3
United States

Nicely done!
2018-2-18
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
France

Not really used it there has to be a good contrast between the obstical and the background, tried it a couple of times, not used it since.
2018-2-18
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Very interesting, thank you very much! And amazing to see that the Air recovered flight after hitting the branch.
2018-2-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Thanks for sharing with us. The video looks great!
2018-2-25
Use props
kfloke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149961 ft
Singapore

Thank you for sharing!
2018-2-25
Use props
Wyke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33166 ft
United Kingdom

Some interesting stuff
2018-2-25
Use props
rantanlan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 69698 ft
Germany

thanks for the video, but actually I think the camera view doesn't have much to do with APAS. The camera sensor states a FOV of 85° where the manual states even less for the sensors.
So be aware that the detection might even be more limited than the camera view...

2018-2-26
Use props
DroneSupremacy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2060915 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

rantanlan Posted at 2018-2-26 02:39
thanks for the video, but actually I think the camera view doesn't have much to do with APAS. The camera sensor states a FOV of 85° where the manual states even less for the sensors.
So be aware that the detection might even be more limited than the camera view...

That's actually quite interesting, I didn't know that. Thanks so much for the heads-up!
2018-2-26
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Tnx for the video. You have just confirmed that APAS is properly nothing worth and will lead to a lot of crash because people trust the system. What happens to APAS so when it's half dark, does the system overlook things or is it disable automatically ?

Regards Leif.
2018-2-26
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Landbo Posted at 2018-2-26 03:56
Tnx for the video. You have just confirmed that APAS is properly nothing worth and will lead to a lot of crash because people trust the system. What happens to APAS so when it's half dark, does the system overlook things or is it disable automatically ?

Regards Leif.

Thanks good demonstration of the APAS, personally I don't trust the safety of my drones to any of DJI's automated VPS/OAS/APAS, skills & pre-flight planning always prevail
2018-2-26
Use props
Single Lens
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55636 ft
United Kingdom

Landbo Posted at 2018-2-26 03:56

Regards Leif.

Nice vid! Thanks for sharing

I thought a warning appears, alerting you to low light conditions, which in turn affect the object avoidance system. Hence the rumour is going round that the Mavic II (or whatever its name shall be) will have infrared object avoidance.
2018-2-26
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

good video - nice advert for the mavic air
2018-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules