Operating P3 for "non-recreational" use...
1989 17 2015-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jamespetersonj
lvl.2

United States

I am in the USA and the FAA has placed huge restrictions on operating a UAS when using it for "non-recreational" purposes (As in selling your photos and/or videos). Has anyone received a waiver/exemption from the FAA that did NOT require them to obtain a Pilot License, acquire a Health Certificate and obtain an Airworthiness certificate?
Does anyone know of a loophole?
2015-5-1
Use props
Jerdel
lvl.2

United States

dont sell your photos or videos.  Give them away for free and charge for editing
2015-5-1
Use props
blauer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 209403 ft
United States

you can sell photos just not the aerial photography service
2015-5-1
Use props
ara9112003
lvl.3
Flight distance : 495869 ft
United States

Jerdel Posted at 2015-5-2 06:06
dont sell your photos or videos.  Give them away for free and charge for editing

and that works ?
2015-5-1
Use props
ara9112003
lvl.3
Flight distance : 495869 ft
United States

blauer Posted at 2015-5-2 06:11

that works?
2015-5-1
Use props
blauer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 209403 ft
United States

well I dont see a problem with selling photos that youve taken while performing a recreational activity
2015-5-2
Use props
suqsid.bobmail
lvl.3

United States

blauer Posted at 2015-5-2 19:52
well I dont see a problem with selling photos that youve taken while performing a recreational activ ...

The FAA does.

They say it retroactively turns your recreational activity into commercial activity.
2015-5-2
Use props
ztruempy
lvl.1

United States

I do not personally know anyone who has received this exemption by the FAA,https://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_programs/section_333/, but it looks like only 247 petitions have been granted as of 4/29/15.

However, I did submit an exemption request a little bit ago.  They allow themselves 120 days to make a determination.  I'll gladly keep you posted if interested.
2015-5-2
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Jerdel Posted at 2015-5-2 06:06

Despite being repeated a thousand times on forums, you'd only be fooling yourself.
The FAA may be dumb, but even they aren't that dumb.
Much better advice is to simply fly safe and don't draw attention to your work.
2015-5-2
Use props
wordsaremything
lvl.3

United States

blauer Posted at 2015-5-2 06:11

I don't think you can sell anything, the photos or the service. I hope otherwise though.
2015-5-2
Use props
lpoland
lvl.1

United States

ztruempy@yahoo. Posted at 2015-5-2 20:08
I do not personally know anyone who has received this exemption by the FAA,https://www.faa.gov/uas/l ...

ztrueempy -  Do you know anyone that has applied and not gotten it?

Everything I have read indicates that the FAA whats to get this settled. They understand that UAS technology isn't going away. They want to get good policy in place and let people use their devices, and let innovators...innovate.

I have also applied for the FAA Section 333 exemption (about a month ago). My top client said they have a corporate policy of only working with licensed pilots for aerial photography. When I told them about the 333 exemption, they said (if I get it) this was also acceptable.

I corresponded with a representative at the FAA and they said my petition "looked good"...so here's to hoping.
2015-5-2
Use props
ztruempy
lvl.1

United States

lpoland Posted at 2015-5-2 23:10

Everything I have read indica ...

I don't personally know anyone who was denied, but the FAA's own stats appear to indicate about 10% do...which is pretty good odds assuming the paperwork is in order.

Only time will tell, but I'm hoping for the best.  Good luck and keep me posted on your status.

Cheers.
2015-5-2
Use props
me.brendonhall
lvl.1

United States

Here are a couple articles where individuals/companies received exemptions:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2 ... ulture-real-estate/

http://www.burnzeyeview.com/fox- ... iews-faa-exemption/
2015-5-2
Use props
wordsaremything
lvl.3

United States

ztruempy@yahoo. Posted at 2015-5-2 23:49
I don't personally know anyone who was denied, but the FAA's own stats appear to indicate about 10 ...

Do you or Ipoland mind updating this thread as you find out more info? I am also considering the 333 exemption but didn't like the idea of paying around 3k for school to get the required certificates most exemptions require.

Also would either of you mind sharing paperwork via PM? I have been looking over the paperwork of companies who did receive exemption.  
2015-5-2
Use props
Gary
lvl.1

United States

lpoland Posted at 2015-5-2 23:10

Everything I have read indica ...

Are you saying that you were told that your application looked good even though you would not have a licensed pilot flying the craft? I was under the impression that all of the exemptions granted still had that requirement.
2015-5-3
Use props
FishinTexas2015
lvl.2

United States

me.brendonhall Posted at 2015-5-3 00:56
Here are a couple articles where individuals/companies received exemptions:

http://www.utsandiego.c ...

The FAA has granted many exemptions however the FAA is requiring them to obtain/posses a Pilots licenses, airworthiness certificate, health certificate among other requirements.
I was hoping to find instances where applicants received the exemptions that did not require the PIC to hold these licenses/certificates
2015-5-3
Use props
SobesMS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 649196 ft
United States

I plan on using the FAA's "no harm, no foul" policy.

If you read this article, it appears that as long as you're not being a nuisance you should be pretty safe.

Forbes Article
2015-5-3
Use props
wordsaremything
lvl.3

United States

SobesMS Posted at 2015-5-4 07:22
I plan on using the FAA's "no harm, no foul" policy.

If you read this article, it appears that a ...

I like that article!
2015-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules