Spark awful range
3615 16 2018-2-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_opcU1zHv59Ys
lvl.2
Flight distance : 374288 ft
Hungary

Hello! This is a little review of my spark.
I am statisfied with this drone it is super safe, the image quality is perfect, the gimbal is perfect the functions are excellent. The only thing which is annoying is the range and nobody talks about it. I have the fly more combo and I cannot get more than 100 meters of range in 5.8g. Yes I know I am in the EU and I cant switch to 2.4g, (somehow it fails) but I dont want to use the OTG because it is not dedicated  but I always use THE RIGHT ANTENNA POSITION. It is terrible when I get the IMAGE TRANSMISSION SIGNAL WEAK warning after flying 50 meters forward and I cant finish a cinematic movement because I have to return the aircraft. Another big issue is that the IMAGE TRANSMISSION SIGNAL WEAK appears when I have 2 little signs at the wifi icon and the live video on my phone is perfect. That warning is just unnecessary.
Me and many pilots have issues with these so I hope this matter will receive DJI s prompt attention and they will fix it in a short time. A better wifi connection or a firmware upgrade or at least supporting OTG could be a solution. I dont understand why DJI is mean when it comes to strong and safe connectivity.
2018-2-20
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

sorry to hear about your connectivity issues in EU.  Not sure DJI can do anything to improve that as it's a typical issue outside of DJI.
2018-2-20
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

if that kind of interference happens in dense urban area, full of wifi, cellular, or other signals it may be possible with (low) CE power, especially  on 5.8.
but check it somewhere empty area - if it goes mentioned 300m, if not I would consider faulty unit.

and honestly don't know why it won't allow You to switch into 2.4... I read on some forums (sorry, can not remember which) that some android phones which were using 2.4 to connect remote-phone, it was killing possibility to use 2.4 for remote-drone transmission. don't fly with android, can't confirm it.
Check that connection with OTG cable, so You will be able to clear it's drone fault or phone creating problems
2018-2-20
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

>>>It is terrible when I get the IMAGE TRANSMISSION SIGNAL WEAK warning after flying 50 meters forward and I cant finish a cinematic movement because I have to return the aircraft. <<<<

Why you have to return the aircraft?
Is the transmission going black or in pixel?
No, it is a message only!
And: The RC is still in control. If not, RTH kicks in.
Watch this video in here for reference and check it out.
Set the RTH height carefully and "fly a bit" further.
The message is about the video stream "is getting weak", not about the RC-controll abilities
Check the radar option and get comfortable with that.
In case you wanna fly out of sight ;-)
2018-2-20
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Flight distance : 166014 ft
Czechia

The situation in EU is quite simple and solution depends on what do you want. Do you want to use an android phone and you need the range ? Downgrade to DJI GO 4 4.1.15 or lower and use the OTG cable (there is no other legal way). Do you want that range but you insist on not using the OTG cable ? Try some iOS device (there has been posts about the range issues on iOS devices as well, better try it first before buying it). And most importantly, do not even dare hope that DJI will actually solve anything for Spark. Apparently DJI has a new favorite the Mavic Air. OTG is broken since november and most of us have given up hope that they will ever fix it (which is why so many people uses the FCC hacked app that works with OTG as well as gives an american 2km range ...).
2018-2-20
Use props
djiuser_opcU1zHv59Ys
lvl.2
Hungary

The mavic air also uses wifi as far as I know and I think the problem will come up there as well.
I am flying with a huawei p10lite. The app is fast enough the live video is good but this range problem occurs. So I dont have to take the image transmission weak seriously? Ok I ll try. But this is annoying when the video is good but I get a "red" warning. I havent had any disconnections just that warning. I did not try to go further when this appears because I am afraid that it will drop connection.
2018-2-20
Use props
djiuser_opcU1zHv59Ys
lvl.2
Hungary

The mavic air also uses wifi as far as I know and I think the problem will come up there as well.
I am flying with a huawei p10lite. The app is fast enough the live video is good but this range problem occurs. So I dont have to take the image transmission weak seriously? Ok I ll try. But this is annoying when the video is good but I get a "red" warning. I havent had any disconnections just that warning. I did not try to go further when this appears because I am afraid that it will drop connection. That is the only thing that I dont understand. Once they designed 2 great transmission systems and now they use the piece of s###
2018-2-20
Use props
djiuser_opcU1zHv59Ys
lvl.2
Hungary

I maximally agree with Dji that the spark is small and it is not for professionals. I agree with the 1080p I agree with the 2 axis but they must provide the maximum of safety features and reliability. And this will be a major issue with the mavic air,  I am sure.
2018-2-20
Use props
Mullheliflier
First Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I easily get 500m (set as the limit in the app) on 2.4 ghz with my iPhone 7 on Wi-fi. I have not used my otg cable for some time now as I am happy with this.
2018-2-20
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

djiuser_opcU1zHv59Ys Posted at 2018-2-20 11:02
I maximally agree with Dji that the spark is small and it is not for professionals. I agree with the 1080p I agree with the 2 axis but they must provide the maximum of safety features and reliability. And this will be a major issue with the mavic air,  I am sure.

Hey, when you get weak transmission message, please ensure that your drone flies in a place without interference. Here are some tips:
1. I would recommend you enter wifi setting and check if most of the channels are green.
2. Please turn off the bluetooth devices around your spark.
If the problem remains, please export the flight data and the black box for analysis. You can upload it to dropbox and post the link here. Thanks for your support.

2018-2-21
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-2-21 20:07
Hey, when you get weak transmission message, please ensure that your drone flies in a place without interference. Here are some tips:
1. I would recommend you enter wifi setting and check if most of the channels are green.

Perhaps a better way is to have specific messages.

Disconnect Warning- Make it say WIFI transmission warning but add anothe box that reminds them the RC is still connected "WIFI Disconnect RC OK"
Then the user can be comfortable knowing the AC is still in RC control and not freak out.

What is the time for the GPS signal warning? When I get that it usually comes back fast. Always bothered me but now that I understand I still have control of the AC, it's not a big deal. Next second later GPS returns. For users not understanding the craft, their heart skips a beat and their palms get sweaty.

I think more users watch YT videos and DJI demos than do read the manual. Perhaps a demo on all those warnings, and possible reasons along with "hold on don't worry yet" exclamations in those videos will greatly reduce the amount of fly aways.
2018-2-21
Use props
Artur Macau
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256549 ft
Macao

Hi, i would also like to say that recently im getting very bad range and lots of weak transmission signal errors, and not only the errors, the video link is lagging a lot or just loose all video, its impossible to do any nice cinematic footage if i can't see the video feed. This is happening within a very short distance, sometimes even at less than 50 meters. In my case, im in a EC region, and i understand that in a city area we have lots of wifi interference, but i can't even choose between 2.4 and 5.8, the only choice i have is AUTO and 5.8 .... I think i need to really try the ECC hack, i didn't want to, but at least with a more powerful transmission from the RC, i can fly safely within the 500 to 1000 meters range. I don't really need 1000 meters range, but at least i want it to perform well even within my sight...

Really disappointed with this range issue.

Also i use a iOS device, i tried the OTG cable, it works, but same thing, range is really bad, and also get problems with video link...
2018-2-21
Use props
djiuser_opcU1zHv59Ys
lvl.2
Hungary

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-2-21 20:07

Hi!
I dont think it is a faulty aircraft because as you can see several pilots have problem.
I think Dji should release a new firmware or something which can solve these. The  case is the same with the mavic air. A hungarian vlogger has just tested it in a city and he got disconnected after 200meters.
2018-2-21
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

djiuser_opcU1zHv59Ys Posted at 2018-2-21 22:02
Hi!
I dont think it is a faulty aircraft because as you can see several pilots have problem.
I think Dji should release a new firmware or something which can solve these. The  case is the same with the mavic air. A hungarian vlogger has just tested it in a city and he got disconnected after 200meters.

Please provide the flight data first so we can locate the problem. And we are working hard on making improvement on our product. Thanks for your support.
2018-2-27
Use props
djiuser_opcU1zHv59Ys
lvl.2
Hungary

Now I can see a lot of videos about the mavic air s awful range and connection as well.
Well Dji... I hope you will recognize that you made a mistake.
2018-3-7
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Did you read your PM?
2018-3-7
Use props
djiuser_opcU1zHv59Ys
lvl.2