Cold weather problems
1980 8 2018-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Christoffercla
New

Norway

I want to buy a drone to use in the mountains, i have been looking at the new Mavic Air and the Phantom 4 Pro. Which of them is better at flying in -15°c and is it a good idea to fly a drone in cold weather.

I have also heard there will be a new drone coming in march, should i wait and see what that is or buy now?
2018-2-21
Use props
Nebicaneser
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Welcome aboard ! the importan thing is pre-heat the battery and motors before to fly on these hard conditions. About new releases , i have no idea , im a user also ;)
2018-2-21
Use props
Steve Og
lvl.3
Flight distance : 938258 ft
United States

I can only comment on my experience with the P4P in cold temps.  I have the P4P and live at 8,000 ft elevation in Colorado.  I have flown the P4P several hours at temps below -5 F (-21 C ) with no problems.  I return when the low battery alert triggers at 30%  and get typical flight times of  20-22 minutes. Coldest temp I've flown is -18F (-28C) and had no problems.  DJI doesn't recommend flying at those temps but summers are short here in the Colorado mountains and I wouldn't get to fly much at sunrise if I followed the official recommendation.  I have seen others report problems so search the forums and make your own decision. But I was pleasantly surpised to see the P4P do so well in such cold conditions without even a hiccup.
2018-2-21
Use props
Christoffercla
New

Norway

Very helpful, thanks!
2018-2-21
Use props
Steve Og
lvl.3
Flight distance : 938258 ft
United States

Oh, I have heard people say the iOS devices don't hold up well in the cold.  I have the 'Plus' controller and it has done well, but the pros & cons of that unit are well discussed in other threads. The other thing I should add is the equipment holds up better than my fingers. I found using a stylus for the touchscreen allows me to keep better gloves on & not have to remove them.
2018-2-21
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

The spec is 32F My Obsidian loses GPS at 34F and any colder it will not leave the ground and when a bit warmer it will disconnect from the wind chill. Others have had the same issue and then there are others that have no issues. Luck of the Draw.
2018-2-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, it is not recommended to fly the drone at a low temperature which may cause permanent damage to the battery.
2018-2-22
Use props
rolsch_p4p
lvl.2
Flight distance : 46834 ft
Germany

..and do not forget the dew-point temperature: the electronics inside the copter can harmed!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dew_point

2018-2-22
Use props
Andrew245
lvl.2

Canada

I flew Phantom 3 Pro in -20 quite a few time and had absolutely no problems, however i also flew P4S in -15 and it almost fell out of the sky.. I had a fresh charge on the battery and when battery reached 45% suddenly it went red and went critical warning at 0% in the matter of split second..., thankfully I was already back about 100 ft away from my take off position so I landed immediately.
From then on I do not trust P4 flying in the cold. I also flew P3P right down to 0% at one point and it still flew for 1.5 minutes, P3P was an amazing drone.
I am thinking about buying one again and keep it  on stock firmware for long range flights...
2018-2-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules