2351 18 2015-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
houston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have always been a bit hesitant to accept the fact that the new quick lock props are better then the orginal with the plastic prop locks. It seems to me that redundancy is better than an alternate solution that appers to have a weak spot. Just wanted to kwo what you guys thought. I ran across a  post that showed one of these cracked. Now it seems this was probably due to a mid air collision, but still wnated to get everyones thoughts on this.

2015-5-2
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

Personally Though I have not received mine from my most reliable dealer (Not)....They do look like to me a big weak spot
Flimsy and cheap...(The mounting section) that is. But I could be wrong.
2015-5-2
Use props
HeadOn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1903835 ft
United States

I feel like they are pretty safe.  Once installed, they are definitely more convenient.

FWIW - the instructions indicate that the fastening mechanism be replaced every 200 flights.  So obviously, there is more mechanical wear on the metal springs, but they are $4 so that's not a big deal. Now if they would add a reminder feature in the app so we could reset a counter and it would remind us to change when the 200th flight is coming up, then that would be great.
2015-5-2
Use props
Muzzy
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I wasn't sure if we would or would not be getting the so called "Free Replacement Parts", so I decided to buy some along with the DJI Carbon Props.

They work very well and are definitely more convenient. The props fit on well and tight and it saves having to carry those fiddly clips. I have flown for many hours, at high speed including very fast descents, with no issues. I can't comment on the robustness of them after a collision or damage as I have not suffered either, but as the part that attaches to the motor is a very hard plastic, I could see that it might be an issue if hit hard enough.

Hope this helps.
Muzzy.
2015-5-2
Use props
stan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8834869 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Muzzy Posted at 2015-5-3 00:52
I wasn't sure if we would or would not be getting the so called "Free Replacement Parts", so I decid ...

I witnessed my friend I1 flipped over while taking off. I guess one prop just went off before hitting the ground. Luckily, there was no damage to the model. A closed inspection of the lock found that it has a crack. I really re-think to switch back to use the old prop system now.
2015-5-2
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

stan@rcsail.com Posted at 2015-5-3 01:06
I witnessed my friend I1 flipped over while taking off. I guess one prop just went off before hitt ...

That's a chunk taken completely off!!..Maybe the plastics too brittle.
2015-5-2
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

I've had no issues flying with the new system.  It's definitely wise to inspect the mounts every time you fly and intensively examine them in the event of a broken prop or other issue.  But I suspect DJI has made this change for good, and likely it will become impossible to buy the old props soon.
2015-5-2
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

I only got to fly with the new self-locking props once before my landing gear decided to stop working and I had to send in the inspire for warranty repair and the dreaded 6-week wait. However I really liked the new self-locking mechanism - it is very secure and makes for fast connect and disconnect of the props.

There's no question the screw-on props with separate locks adds another level of redundancy, and if you aren't careful with the self locking props you can think they are locked when they really aren't. But my biggest complaint about the Inspire in general is that there are too many steps to go from case to flight to case. Compared to the Phantom, the Inspire is a major ordeal. So one less step, or a more streamlined one is much appreciated. But yes, like everything else about this aircraft, you have to check and double check everything you do prior to flight.
2015-5-2
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Ditto ....No issues here so far, but then I haven't hit anything with them. They are a lot better than those horrible locking clips we had to use. Thumbs up from me
2015-5-2
Use props
bujao10
lvl.1

Brazil

Why they use plastic instead aluminum 7170 ? I'm stick to the old system.
2015-5-2
Use props
lesmess
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2753402 ft
United Kingdom

I have no choice as my bird is only 12 days old and came already fitted with the new prop lock system.  Todate i've done 16 flights with a total flight time of 2hr 48min with no issues with the props or the locks.  I was fully aware of the concerns other folks have posted on this and other forms, some of the posts border on scare mongering with dramatic photos of broken locks etc.  I've seen no evidence these have actually failed in flight, simple pre-flight pre-cautions should ensure you have trouble free safe flying.  
I have a led torch to closely examine the locks after each days flying and a magnifying glass, looking for cracks or any other damage or wear, no need to remove the locks for this  I check the screw tightness, I dont try to tighten further just ensure they are tight.  I also check the internal locking tabs / hooks in the props are not worn or show signs of cracks.  In the field after each battery I check that each prop is tight and secure I dont remove them.  I have purchased several sets of locks and props, they are cheap, I will replace them after the 200 flights as recommended by DJI or after a prop has hit something regardless of any percievable damage or not.  The only concern I have is with the motor screw holes, that's why I will not remove the locks unless crash damage has occurred or the two hundred flight limit has been reached.  I also have loctite 222 low strength thread locking compound in case i need to use this.  By my reckoning provided I don't have any mishaps it will be a few months before i need to change anything.  
Apart from wearing the screw holes I have no concerns with this system, I have been RC flying for 42 years although this is my first quad copter.  I respect other folks concerns each to there own as they say.  DJI have stated this system is an upgrade to the old screw on prop system which enhaces reliability during flight.  PS I have had countless crashes over the years, not one I can honestly say was the catasrophic failure of the prop system in free flight.

2015-5-3
Use props
gboivin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1544416 ft
  • >>>
United States

Personally , I would rather have this part break and relieve the tension of the damage than other more expensive parts.
2015-5-3
Use props
lesmess
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2753402 ft
United Kingdom

lesmess Posted at 2015-5-3 19:26
I have no choice as my bird is only 12 days old and came already fitted with the new prop lock syste ...

IMG_0022 (Small).JPG

Prop Check Tool Kit.

2015-5-3
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

stan@rcsail.com Posted at 2015-5-3 01:06
I witnessed my friend I1 flipped over while taking off. I guess one prop just went off before hitt ...

Seriously ... You had a crash and you think that the old prop locks would have made it better?
Be lucky thats all the damage there was!!!
2015-5-3
Use props
DJK
New
Flight distance : 44154 ft
United States

If it wasn't intentional, the concept of the $2 part being like a shear pin is great in my opinion.
2015-5-3
Use props
ZeroCool
lvl.2

United States

Anyone not using/selling their old OEM props? Please email me@ shockleedw@yahoo.com.
2015-5-3
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

I have used them both and feel more confident with the new Props.  I did have one of the old prop locks pop off once when it hit the ground hard after the support strut/ rod came out of its socket mid flight.  

2015-5-3
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

They are better and easy to use!  Inspect them when you install the props before each flying session  (normal maintenance) and enjoy.  If you hit something with them... check them out, but personally I would change the hubs and props if you have a blade strike.

I hope this helps.
Rich
2015-5-3
Use props
jeff
lvl.1

United States

I can only speak to myself and I love the new props.  They are easy to put on and take off and I have had zero issues with fatigue (metal or otherwise) and have never seen any evidence that they cause any "unknown" issues.  Granted I won't until such time as it happens.  Again my opinion so sorry for going against the grain.  

My inspire came with the new props already installed although I had flown another inspire with the prop locks prior and it seemed to me (and DJI states) they have a limited life span, not that of a twinkie :p
2015-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules