new member looking to join Spark family
732 18 2018-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sjed
lvl.2

United States

Hi all. I'm new to the droning world and have been looking at all the youtube videos to narrow down my choice of drone. I'm really being drawn to the Spark because of size and camera. As I said, I've watched a ton of videos and the very last one mentioned that people have problems with birds attacking the Spark because of it's size. I've never heard this from any of the previous youtube reviews but it has me concerned as I live in a suburban area with lots of sparrows, starlings and occasional blackbirds. I figure I'll come to the group that flies them and ask, is this a real problem with the Spark as I don't really wish to harm birds or lose an expensive drone, for that matter.
2018-2-25
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Birds attacking radio control aircraft is a problem regardless of the aircraft.  It is something all pilots have to watch for and be prepared to take evasive action or abort the flight.  I have had a huge vulture appear out of no where and fly two feet (one foot?, very close) over the Spark while craning its neck checking the Spark out.  I have had hawks ignore it and just orbit in the area.  Martins chase my model airplane all over the sky so I have to do loops and split-S' to loose them.

The secret to flying anything that isn't an airliner or a fighter jet, is knowing when and where you can't fly.  There are a lot of times a drone, or a cessna, just shouldn't fly.
2018-2-25
Use props
drewhoover
lvl.4
Flight distance : 323455 ft
United States

1. A bird has never attacked my drone, and I never think that would happen. The Spark would win the fight, I have $10 on that.
2. Spark is the way to go, if you are looking for a nice lower level consumer drone. But if you are looking for better features, such as camera quality and hardware, I would go a level up to the Mavic Air.
3. The Spark is especially a good option now because they just started releasing the FLY LESS combo with the remote, which is a steal. That used to be a $140 upgrade. Take it up if you are feeling the impulse of it.
2018-2-25
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

The Spark is a fantastic first drone.  It has most of the capabilities of DJIs machines that cost twice as much.

However, don't let "Entry level" fool you.   These are very sophisticated machines.  Watch the youtube training videos.   And take it slow when first starting out.
When I first started flying my Phantom (I also have a spark now),  I didn't go more than 30M in any direction away from me (horizontal or vertical) until I had a few batteries of practice.   I also practiced flying circles, squares, rectangles, etc.     All this on a large complex of soccer fields when they were not in use.

These Sparks are very easy to fly, and that sometimes masks how sophisticated they actually are.

With the video training and taking it slow in practice,  you'll have a fantastic machine that you will enjoy for years!!!   

I love my Spark (and my Phantom).   It's really incredible how much tech is packed into this little frame.  

Sid
P.S - I've never had a bird attack either of my drones.   I do stay very aware of birds -- especially during migration season, and make sure I'm not on the path of any migrating flocks (herds?) of geese.   One of those big boys would probably destroy my Spark.
2018-2-25
Use props
dji TO88
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4678 ft

Canada

Spark is the best value but I would recommend the Mavic Air for it's extra features and it folds up for better portability for transportation.
2018-2-25
Use props
Dave Kane
lvl.3
Brazil

Yeah, if you can afford the Mavic Air, you might want to get that as it has some nice extras compared to the Spark. But I totally love my Spark..
2018-2-25
Use props
sjed
lvl.2

United States

This would be my first drone so I'm kinda shy to invest the Mavic Air money after seeing so many video of people losing their drones so that's why I'm looking at the Spark.
2018-2-25
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

sjed Posted at 2018-2-25 19:01
This would be my first drone so I'm kinda shy to invest the Mavic Air money after seeing so many video of people losing their drones so that's why I'm looking at the Spark.

I think the Spark would be better for you than the Mavic air.

For a first drone,  you don't need 4km range,  and unless you are doing professional video or professional photography,  the 2K Spark will be all you need.   The Spark images and video are stunning when viewed on PCs or mobile devices.    I'm in the process of building a new house, and every day I take the Spark out and fly it over the construction.  I take both video and stills.   This will let me have a time-lapse set of images of my house as it rises.    The construction crews are always amused by my drones (mostly the Spark,  a couple of times my P3S).   I keep them high enough to not interfere with the construction.  Usually about 90ft up.   I only come down to roof-top level after the crews have left.    The images and video  from the Spark are great.   

Also,  which ever drone you get,  if you take time to learn how to use it,  and take time to ramp up slowly in what you try,  you shouldn't have to worry about fly-aways.   Fully learn and understand what your drone can do, and what it is likely doing at any one time, and you should be fine.   Take RTH -- there's countless threads about RTH failing and causing fly-aways.    Watch the RTH explanation/demo videos -- they are very valuable.    I tested RTH 4 times last week with my Spark.   All times worked flawlessly, with no unexpected events due to my watching the videos and knowing that Spark RTH works differently depending on distance, settings, etc.

Also, if you can afford to add it,  buy DJI care refresh (or some other form of insurance).   DJI care refresh is only $59,  and will replace your Spark if you crash and break it (they don't replace fly-aways -- you have to have a broken drone to return for replacement).   I've been flying for a couple of years, and I bought it for my Spark.

Sid
2018-2-25
Use props
Rodador
lvl.3
Flight distance : 427520 ft
United States

sjed Posted at 2018-2-25 19:01

This is a huge concern for me too, so, I looked into ways to insure the drone.

There's DJI Care Refresh which covers it for up to two crashes I believe and some other stuff but it only covers repairs, not replacement.

I read on this forum that StateFarm insures drones and I use them for my other insurance so I called and got a Personal Articles Policy, there's more info on that here: https://forum.dji.com/thread-137371-1-1.html

I happened on a great deal for my Spark and Mavic Air had not been released yet so I went with the Spark and so far I have really enjoyed it but the MA looks really cool but it's sooo close to the price of the Mavic Pro that I think I'd probably go with the MP. And sometimes DJI sells them refurbished for basically the same price as the MA, here: https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-pro-refurbished-unit

Also, I recommend, if you haven't already flown a simple inexpensive drone, Syma X5C-1 for example, that you get one and get comfortable with it. This will help you 1) appreciate what the Spark/MA/MP can do 2) prepare you to fly the Spark/MA/MP when it can't fly itself for whatever reason 3) not brake your bank or your heart when you crash it, you will almost definitely crash 4) give you more time to make up your mind on how much money you are willing to part with for a DJI that meets your wants/needs.

Good luck deciding & Happy Landings!
2018-2-25
Use props
Flighty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

I have flown great distances here in the Mountains in Croatia and have never seen any bird (wildlife) make an attempt on my Drone. I have seen plenty of Hawks flying around, but I just steer clear of them..
2018-2-26
Use props
jimm00re
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1277503 ft
United States

I highly recommend the Spark. Birds, while Ive had no direct attacks the buzzards like circling around and seem curious about it. Just enough to make me paranoid. I've landed a few times and waited for them to move on, but all and all no big deal. The video and photos from the spark are awesome for my needs. It's a great starting bird, but seven months later I'm still satisfied and have no plans on upgrading. Best of luck in what you go with.  
2018-2-26
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

I have never had any problems with birds either, lots of them here by the sea. An excellent drone for beginner or experienced. Buy one, buy DJI Care and you will be fine. But I also echo the comments from Rodador, buy a Syma and play with that first. I did, crashed a lot, but it just bounced and carried on to the next flight. The Spark will not do that but by then you will be much more comfortable flying one.
2018-2-26
Use props
sjed
lvl.2

United States

Great community. Thanks guys for all the sharing.
2018-2-26
Use props
azswift
First Officer
Flight distance : 13819 ft
United States

drewhoover Posted at 2018-2-25 11:23
1. A bird has never attacked my drone, and I never think that would happen. The Spark would win the fight, I have $10 on that.
2. Spark is the way to go, if you are looking for a nice lower level consumer drone. But if you are looking for better features, such as camera quality and hardware, I would go a level up to the Mavic Air.
3. The Spark is especially a good option now because they just started releasing the FLY LESS combo with the remote, which is a steal. That used to be a $140 upgrade. Take it up if you are feeling the impulse of it.

I've seen other forums show that right now if you buy the spark at DJI.com you'll get the remote for free.
2018-2-26
Use props
drewhoover
lvl.4
Flight distance : 323455 ft
United States

azswift Posted at 2018-2-26 09:18
I've seen other forums show that right now if you buy the spark at DJI.com you'll get the remote for free.

Yes that is what I said. It is a super good deal that you can take up. But the Mavic Air also comes with the remote, so you have a couple of options.
2018-2-26
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1082992 ft
Canada

The spark is a gem for the price. I heared that birds dont care about drones in the air but even if they decide to suddenly attack the drone, flip it to sport mode and just get out of the situation. Hope to see you on the forum once you get your spark.
2018-2-26
Use props
Duke56
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1771529 ft
United States

azswift Posted at 2018-2-26 09:18

I just checked the DJI website and Amazon for the Spark at today's prices.  DJI website has the Spark at $399 while Amazon has it at $349.  Neither one mentions the RC is included.
2018-2-26
Use props
Rodador
lvl.3
Flight distance : 427520 ft
United States

The RC is included with the Spark from DJI right now, you need to scroll down a little to just below the price options, there's a blue box with the details.

SparkFreeRC.JPG
2018-2-26
Use props
rimza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3307 ft
Brunei

I think possibly the Spark prices may roll down further, If you can wait, wait for a while till April 2018. You might also have other options to consider by that time.

The way prices are now versus the launch prices, is really interesting. I have seen one authorized reseller advertized the spark as clearance sales. Not sure what it meant by " clearance sales".
2018-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules