Practice flying in ATTI mode?
6711 22 2015-5-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
michael.carrie
lvl.2

France

I might be missing something, but how can I practice flying in P-ATTI mode? Many people on here suggest I should. The Inspire is my first ever quad!!
As far as I can see (in the manual. p22) I cannot manually set the controller in that mode as it appears to be automatically selected by the Inspire depending on GPS signal strength.
Probably available on the flight simulator but I havn't got that either. (Not available on Android tablet!)

2015-5-3
Use props
Scotflieger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26875098 ft
United Kingdom

You can fly the Inspire 1 in ATTI mode by manually selecting it. Simply select Multiple Flight Mode from the MC Settings options and move Flight Mode Switch [13] on the controller from P to A.

I suggest that you take off in P-GPS mode and flight to a safe height and clear area before selecting ATTI mode.  Be aware of the strength and direction of the wind when practising this option.
2015-5-3
Use props
michael.carrie
lvl.2

France

Scotflieger Posted at 2015-5-3 20:43
You can fly the Inspire 1 in ATTI mode by manually selecting it. Simply select Multiple Flight Mode  ...

Many thanks for that. My confusion was that the manual doesn't make it clear that "A mode (Attitude)"  is the same as ATTI-mode.  I take it that "atti" is American for Attitude  !!! So much to learn here...  Will give it a go with great care...
2015-5-3
Use props
michael.carrie
lvl.2

France

michael.carrie Posted at 2015-5-3 21:02
Many thanks for that. My confusion was that the manual doesn't make it clear that "A mode (Attitud ...

Also....  What mode should I use if is wish to fly indoors??  Not ready for that yet but would like to be prepared..  
2015-5-3
Use props
FictitiousPerso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 303356 ft
Italy

michael.carrie Posted at 2015-5-3 21:06
Also....  What mode should I use if is wish to fly indoors??  Not ready for that yet but would lik ...

Its all in the Inspire manual.

Have a read every question you have asked is there. (page 27)
2015-5-3
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just a quick comment. You should practice in"ATTI" Mode as often as you can in order to be comfortable with it. Once you are comfortable using that Mode if something goes wrong in the GPS Mode you will be able to fly in ATTI Mode without panic setting in. I have also used it when the Quad enters Return to HomeMode Automatically and once I had it back in sight I would enter ATTI and take control again.
2015-5-3
Use props
michael.carrie
lvl.2

France

FictitiousPerso Posted at 2015-5-3 22:35
Its all in the Inspire manual.

Have a read every question you have asked is there. (page  ...

Also....  What mode should I use if is wish to fly indoors??  Not ready for that yet but would like to be prepared..  

No mention of this on page 27 !!! Thanks for your comments anyway..
2015-5-3
Use props
FictitiousPerso
lvl.4
Italy

michael.carrie Posted at 2015-5-3 22:42
Also....  What mode should I use if is wish to fly indoors??  Not ready for that yet but would lik ...

Page 27

P-OPTI: Vision Positioning is available but the GPS signal is not. Aircraft is using only Vision Positioning for hovering

maybe this will help:

If you leave it in GPS and theres no GPS the Vision Positioning will kick in (P-OPTI) and show you this on your app screen.
ATTI overrides everything.

Make sense?
2015-5-3
Use props
michael.carrie
lvl.2

France

FictitiousPerso Posted at 2015-5-3 22:47
Page 27

P-OPTI: Vision Positioning is available but the GPS signal is not. Aircraft is using only  ...

Thanks again Perso... I think it's beginning to make sense.. So, basically, for indoor flying leave the switch set to P-mode and the craft will autoswitch to P-OPTI when you fly indoors. I do find all these terms a little confusing and I do feel they aren't well enough explained in the manual. In fact, a lot of the manual assumes you know a whole bunch of things before you start reading it...
2015-5-3
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

FYI ... The best way to practise atti mode is in the simulator ... Set the wind speed "a bit high" and you understand why you need to practise this ...
2015-5-3
Use props
FictitiousPerso
lvl.4
United Kingdom

michael.carrie Posted at 2015-5-3 23:28
Thanks again Perso... I think it's beginning to make sense.. So, basically, for indoor flying leav ...

Be aware she's quite a fast bird in atti. I've had 60mph +
" In fact, a lot of the manual assumes you know a whole bunch of things before you start reading it..."

Maybe DJI thought newbies wouldn't purchase a 3k bird ?????

I personally wouldn't fly indoors as I have no need to.

Safe flying
2015-5-3
Use props
enkhome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 273038 ft
Netherlands

I suggest that you fly the nose from you so you look to the rear (green lights) first lesson try to keep the I1 in position and try a little right left and forward backward. after a while you get used to it and make steps further. Later with little pilons you can make a sqare and fly from corner to corner. And than hours and hours later you should try to fly nose in (to you red lights).
This only with atti on no opti hold and dont do it indoors.  Also practising on your simulator will give you some feeling with your sticks. Succes!!
2015-5-3
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Also don't forget to preprogram a safe return to home altitude. Because if something goes terribly wrong, and the bird gets blown out of range, it will return to home at that preset altitude (hopefully). If that altitude would take it directly through trees or buildings, you'll have a mess.
2015-5-3
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

I practice ATTI every time I'm in an open sports field.   It's really not scary if you aren't flying in a confined area.    You still have complete control when you're moving, the main differences are if you let go of the controls the bird won't brake, it will continue drifting in the same direction, and if you hover it won't try to hold its position.

My advice is get out in an open area, start slow and go for it!   
2015-5-3
Use props
woodielb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 78061552 ft
United States

Another thing you can do is get yourself a micro quad like a Hubsan 107L and fly the snot out of it. They're incredibly fun,  fully manual, &  the controls translate directly to flying the I1. For under $100.00 you can get a micro quad, spare batteries, a charger & lots of spare props. I gotta admit I'm getting more & more addicted to flying the little guys.

Check out Aerobotic Solutions or Multicopter Warehouse, and when you're fully addicted & want to build your own little rocket ship, Benedikt at Micro Motor Warehouse is awesome. They're great practice & when you can fly them well flying the I1 in ATTI mode is easy.
2015-5-4
Use props
Rbimd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 407710 ft
United States

I agree with Woodielb. You are risking a $3000 mistake while learning. In anticipation of buying my Inspire, I bought an Ethos QX130 for $100 and crashed it plenty while learning. Unlike the Inspire, it is very forgiving and  spare parts are inexpensive and available on a website.
2015-5-7
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-4 11:42
I practice ATTI every time I'm in an open sports field.   It's really not scary if you aren't flying ...

Yes a nice open unobstructed practice area , little or no wind if trying out atti as the bird can drift pretty fast with a breeze , like Jim says No braking action in Attitude mode ! Small stick inputs at first ..
2015-5-7
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-4 11:42
I practice ATTI every time I'm in an open sports field.   It's really not scary if you aren't flying ...

Also the momentum will carry the bird for a fairly great distance unless wind acts against it. The big danger in ATTI is losing perspective at great distances, it is easy to become disoriented and steer the wrong direction. ATTI is for close range flying only and is very useful for shooting video in a smooth drifting fashion. It must be practiced and kept in the pilots tool kit.
2015-5-7
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

enkhome Posted at 2015-5-4 03:20
I suggest that you fly the nose from you so you look to the rear (green lights) first lesson try to  ...

You make ATTI flying sound as though it is difficult? I figure that someone with no experience at all should be able to learn to do it it adequately in as little as one days flying with little or no wind in a large open playing field. Just do it slowly and methodically and it will all make sense in short order. The hardest thing for most people is learning to fly towards themselves as the controls are reversed... unless you fly backwards. But even that becomes second nature pretty quickly.
2015-5-7
Use props
pops52
lvl.2

United States

Hang in there MC. I'm brand new to drones too and when I first read the manual, I thought WTF, I don't understand 90% of this stuff. What helped me is to hang around a few Inspire related forums and read and digest the excellent info that gets traded back and forth. Now I'm down to not understanding 77.68% of it.
2015-5-8
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

michael.carrie Posted at 2015-5-3 21:02
Many thanks for that. My confusion was that the manual doesn't make it clear that "A mode (Attitud ...

I would advise against using your Inspire to practice if this is your first quad. Things can happen quite quickly and thats an awful lot of money to stuff up.

Use a very cheap model like the Blade Nano which is pretty crash resistant. Get used to the way you have to put positive input to keep it straight and level and get used to it flying towards you. Then migrate onto your Inspire.
2015-5-8
Use props
michael.carrie
lvl.2

France

lethbrp Posted at 2015-5-8 19:54
I would advise against using your Inspire to practice if this is your first quad. Things can happe ...

Many thanks guys for your kind advice... I will give this much thought before progressing further.
2015-5-8
Use props
SimplePanda
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Dangair Posted at 2015-5-8 10:54
Also the momentum will carry the bird for a fairly great distance unless wind acts against it. The ...

Sorry I know this is an older thread but I really wanted to chime in...

Just as a background I have hundreds of hours airborne on DJI gear from NAZA on up to A2. I just bought an Inspire (try fitting a hex with a case in the trunk of a Honda Civic!) and I'm fairly happy with it (some odd quirks aside) so far.

That said...

Full ATTI mode should really be where you live and breath. Use P-GPS/P-ATTI as a nicety for the moments where you need to divert some of your attention from flying (swatting insects, etc). Most days, on most of my DJI gear, GPS never gets used from takeoff to landing (at least for aerial photography flights; for fun flights the NAZA's manual mode is the only way to fly but I digress).

Honestly it's about as difficult to fly in ATTI as it is to fly in GPS; the only real differences are that if you push hard over in ATTI you're going to get more airspeed (higher lean) and (as jimhare pointed out) you'll drift / continue momentum in the air. This is easily corrected for by giving the aircraft counter-stick and a lot of the time it actually makes for easier work if you flow with the environment you're flying in.

The vast majority of crash and "flyaway" reports I hear with DJI gear have a more or less unspoken first step: the pilot expected the aircraft to do the right thing. You could probably even (pejoratively, I admit) restate this to say that they expected the aircraft to fly itself.  If you assume that the aircraft is just waiting for it's chance to bury itself in the ground and take as much control as you can, you'll enjoy a lot less RMA time.

My $0.02.
2015-6-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules