1997 23 2018-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Entropia666
lvl.3
Flight distance : 249088 ft
France

Hi all,
I want to buy a small foldable drone in the next month (Ideally having it for the 1st May).
I like a lot the Mavic Platinum, it would be my call today and within the budget (on Aliexpress you can find it from time to time around 850 EUR shipped to France). I have looked at the Mavic Air but I don't like it too much, mainly for the noise level and the lack of Ocusync (I understand it's a quite solid protocol).

Now there are a lot of rumors around the release of Mavic Pro II, I'm not going to ask you the release date or the features, of course, I would like to ask you, from your experience, what happens when a new drone is released on a given series:
1) Are the stocks of the previous one (Mavic Pro Platinum) depleted before the release? There are special offers now.
2) Will I be able to find the original Platinum (new, not second hand) after the release of the Mavic II? Will it be cheaper?

I know you don't have a crystal ball, I'm just asking your experience based on previous products replacement.
For information, the features I value the most:
1) Portability of the Mavic Pro: more than enough, I would cope with a bit bigger one but surely not the Phantom
2) Noise level of the Platinum: this is very appreciated, not to attract attention
3) Camera quality: I know there is a lot of expectation for the upcoming Mavic II...

Thanks!
Michele
2018-3-1
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Hi Michele,
Not really what you are asking for, but still important to know.

DJI does not have international warranty, with those good looking deals on Aliexpress, Gearbeast, E-global you are importing a drone to France, and for any warranty issues you might come across, you will need to issue your warranty claim in the country you imported it from.     
Also, if you wanted to opt for 'DJI Care Refresh' as a safety net, you can't because you didn't buy the aircraft in France.
2018-3-1
Use props
Wyke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33166 ft
United Kingdom

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-1 02:23
Hi Michele,

Good point well made, for people chasing internet bargains.
2018-3-1
Use props
Entropia666
lvl.3
France

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-1 02:23
Hi Michele,

Thanks for the point!
Unfortunately the price in France from DJI store is ridiculous: 1299 EUR vs ~850 EUR on Aliexpress.
Considered the DJI Care would be another 150EUR on top, I can almost buy a second one...
2018-3-1
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

The Mavic Pro & the Platinum series will be around for quite awhile after the release of the MP II, Mavic is a very popular drone for the price point. If you are not in a hurry I personally would wait for the MP II, if this is your first drone and want to get into flying soon the MP/MPP is a great drone to start with, it will take you awhile to learn to fly and operate the camera. Actually I would get a refurbished unit from DJI or a re-seller at a reduced price knowing that I will upgrade when the MP II is released. Always buy from the country you live in, it will save you aggravation should you need service. Remember you first drone is very rarely your last.
2018-3-1
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

Entropia666 Posted at 2018-3-1 02:38
Thanks for the point!
Unfortunately the price in France from DJI store is ridiculous: 1299 EUR vs ~850 EUR on Aliexpress.
Considered the DJI Care would be another 150EUR on top, I can almost buy a second one...

Yes, I can see your point. But also don't forget that the 850 Euro is what you pay IF the Mavic slips threw Customs unnoticed. If it does get noticed like it should, you are going to have to pay 'value added tax' above those 850 Euro.
2018-3-1
Use props
Entropia666
lvl.3
France

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-1 02:42
The Mavic Pro & the Platinum series will be around for quite awhile after the release of the MP II, Mavic is a very popular drone for the price point. If you are not in a hurry I personally would wait for the MP II, if this is your first drone and want to get into flying soon the MP/MPP is a great drone to start with, it will take you awhile to learn to fly and operate the camera. Actually I would get a refurbished unit from DJI or a re-seller at a reduced price knowing that I will upgrade when the MP II is released. Always buy from the country you live in, it will save you aggravation should you need service. Remember you first drone is very rarely your last.

This is not my first drone at all, I have experience with self made quadcopter (back to the days of arduino APM 2.0) and a racer one. I would consider myself a decent pilot. This would be my first EXPENSIVE drone
2018-3-1
Use props
Steeevo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 264882 ft
United Kingdom

If you want a great drone at a good price for for the mavic pro as the prices are getting lower every week. I assume there will be a new mavic sometime this year
2018-3-1
Use props
Mullheliflier
First Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Mavic Pro prices seem to be dropping all the time in the UK, although the Platinum does not seem to be dropping by the same amount. I bought a second Mavic Pro last year from Very UK on Black Friday. £1099 for the combo, so it may be worth waiting for the usual sales days, which I presume you have in France. Good luck either way. You will love the Mavic.
2018-3-1
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

Entropia666 Posted at 2018-3-1 03:03
This is not my first drone at all, I have experience with self made quadcopter (back to the days of arduino APM 2.0) and a racer one. I would consider myself a decent pilot. This would be my first EXPENSIVE drone

Gotcha, in that case I think I would wait for the MP II as rumors have it it may have the same camera as the P4P (which is far superior to the Mavic) stronger gimbal, all the features of the MPP & MA. Hopefully in March maybe not until the fall.
2018-3-1
Use props
Entropia666
lvl.3
France

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-1 05:06
Gotcha, in that case I think I would wait for the MP II as rumors have it it may have the same camera as the P4P (which is far superior to the Mavic) stronger gimbal, all the features of the MPP & MA. Hopefully in March maybe not until the fall.

Thanks, I was going to ask exactly that question, about the camera. I don't want to spend 850 EUR and then end with a camera which is not the best.
But it is possible that I don't realise how good is, already, the mavic one: are we talking about differences noticeable only by professionals?
2018-3-1
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

Entropia666 Posted at 2018-3-1 05:11
Thanks, I was going to ask exactly that question, about the camera. I don't want to spend 850 EUR and then end with a camera which is not the best.
But it is possible that I don't realise how good is, already, the mavic one: are we talking about differences noticeable only by professionals?

No, the P4P uses a full 1" CMOS CCD, writes at 100mbs p/sec, up to 120FPS for slow motion video, Mavic Air has the write speed of a P4P and frame rate of 120FPS in 1080p, the biggest thing I am waiting on is a new gimbal design (I Hope). The gimbal on the Mavic MP & MPP is very fragile and susceptible to vibration & Jello effect due to wind and other issues. The Mavic Air is a good choice, it uses pretty much the same camera as the MP & MPP with a much sturdier gimbal and has great new Quickshot features, really like the MA for its poratbility and price point.
2018-3-1
Use props
Wyke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33166 ft
United Kingdom

I’m doubting the MP2 will be cheap, if it comes with all the “upgrades” people want. If you’re struggling to justify 1000 for the current version, I’m betting the new one will be tantalisingly out of reach.
2018-3-1
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

Wyke Posted at 2018-3-1 05:59
I’m doubting the MP2 will be cheap, if it comes with all the “upgrades” people want. If you’re struggling to justify 1000 for the current version, I’m betting the new one will be tantalisingly out of reach.

That's sounds like good reasoning to me.

The only thing waiting could offer you is that it's likely that the Original Mavic Pro will see some sort of pricecut. No guarantees however.
2018-3-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Right now there are some very decent deals in The Netherlands for the MP fly more combo.
Around € 1050,-
Not the DJI store, but a valid Dutch retailer with NL warranty and so on.
That makes the price gap with Chinese sellers less big.
Plus: not having warranty is a pain if something happens that is DJI's fault.
(like a faulty camera, battery etc. etc. )
So yes, you can save some bucks, but you are also taking a risk.
I personally would not buy care refresh. That is like an insurance and you still pay some money. So you essentially have paid for about 1/4 new drone.
I know that is less than the whole price, but still.....

And now for they buying part.
If you are really serious about photography / videography, you won't get it with any of the Mavic drones so far. Small sensor, cheap lens.
But, if you can live with ok quality footage and know how to shoot with these limitations, the current Mavics will get you there.

The MPP is not worth the money if you ask me. 'Just' 3 more minutes and lower noise (which you can also get with the low noise props, sort of).

So that would leave you with MA / MP.

In my opinion the main plusses for MA are
1. the bitrate.
(BUT it seems to have a less sharp lens and more distortion (now that might be solved by a software update, but I'm not sure if DJI can fix that).
2.  the gimbal seems better protected. 3. Price

The MP has:
1. more flight time,
2. more flight modes (home lock, course lock, waypoints etc. )
3. AND seems to have a better camera.

What you can do: buy MP / MA now, learn to fly and what your real needs are.
After that decide if MP2 is worth the upgrade for you.
2018-3-1
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think that waiting a few weeks makes sense, especially if you favor the current form factor of the "Pro."  IF a new, updated, upgraded Pro is released you may see price improvements on the current model(s).  And unless the new model offers some features-not offered by the old versions- it would make your decision more clear.  I've built/assembled custom bicycles for a few decades and each year the manufacturers come out with the latest/greatest improvements in parts.  I've found that the increased prices don't justify the incremental improvements in performance.  And the "old" latest/greatest parts get really cheap, quickly.  My customers save hundreds of $$ by letting me spec old, but new parts!  Unless you NEED the new incremental improvements, it may be an opportunity to save money buying the "new" old model.
2018-3-1
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think that waiting a few weeks makes sense, especially if you favor the current form factor of the "Pro."  IF a new, updated, upgraded Pro is released you may see price improvements on the current model(s).  And unless the new model offers some features-not offered by the old versions- it would make your decision more clear.  

I've built/assembled custom bicycles for a few decades and each year the manufacturers come out with the latest/greatest improvements in parts.  I've found that the increased prices don't justify the incremental improvements in performance.  And the "old" latest/greatest parts get really cheap, quickly.  My customers save hundreds of $$ by letting me spec old, but new parts!  

Unless you NEED the new incremental improvements, it may be an opportunity to save money buying the "new" old model.
2018-3-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I’m sure the MP2 will be a great drone when it finally turns up but won’t be a cheap option to learn on...
2018-3-1
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

Entropia666 Posted at 2018-3-1 02:38
Thanks for the point!
Unfortunately the price in France from DJI store is ridiculous: 1299 EUR vs ~850 EUR on Aliexpress.
Considered the DJI Care would be another 150EUR on top, I can almost buy a second one...

I wouldn't go on Aliexpress for a drone this expensive. I'd go with amazon.com at worst.

There have been quite a lot of rumors about Mavic pro 2 coming out in March. Obviously, nothing is sure but you have to consider that the Mavic Pro 2 will be more expensive than the MPP. And you might have to pay the full price in France because it will be a new drone. You might not be able to find it on sites like Aliexpress for the first weeks.  

If budget is a problem, I recommend you go with the Mavic Pro instead of Mavic Pro Platinum. The Platinum has an increased flight time of 2-3 minutes and a reduced noise, for 100 euros more. I don't think it's worth it for a person with limited budget.

2018-3-1
Use props
Entropia666
lvl.3
France

A CW Posted at 2018-3-1 08:46
I’m sure the MP2 will be a great drone when it finally turns up but won’t be a cheap option to learn on...

Thanks a lot to everyone, this forum is amazing! I appreciate a lot all the suggestions.
I take away it's better to wait, there is no danger that the MPP won't be around anymore after the release of MP2.

One detail: I'm NOT a beginner, I currently fly FPV and LOS a racing drone (Wizard X220); I assume a drone like the Mavic is much more stable and easier to fly than a racing drone in acro mode, right?
2018-3-1
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Entropia666 Posted at 2018-3-1 09:21
Thanks a lot to everyone, this forum is amazing! I appreciate a lot all the suggestions.
I take away it's better to wait, there is no danger that the MPP won't be around anymore after the release of MP2.

Yes, DJI drones pretty much fly themselves.  If you've flown the drones you've mentioned, these will feel like they have training wheels.  Also, the MA's camera is quite a bit better then that of the MP, that's just a fact.  I have them both, and it's night and day...
2018-3-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Entropia666 Posted at 2018-3-1 09:21

Then you should be fine. The MP has a much better transmission and longer flight times. The MA has the same sensor but a fixed focus and higher bitrate in 4K. If the camera is your main priority though consider the P4P which wipes the floor with any Mavic in that regard.
2018-3-1
Use props
IceBox-Murdock
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43845 ft
  • >>>
United States

I see you are not in a hurry to buy a new one. If I were you, I would wait for the MP2. I have a Mavic Pro and Spark. I am very happy with my Mavic Pro and been flying it for 3 months now with no problem. I am just disappointed that DJI hasn't added the Asteroid mode in their FW upgrades.
2018-3-1
Use props
Entropia666
lvl.3
France

IceBox-Murdock Posted at 2018-3-1 09:53
I see you are not in a hurry to buy a new one. If I were you, I would wait for the MP2. I have a Mavic Pro and Spark. I am very happy with my Mavic Pro and been flying it for 3 months now with no problem. I am just disappointed that DJI hasn't added the Asteroid mode in their FW upgrades.

Thanks a lot! I'm not in a hurry, indeed. I would like ideally to order it before the end of the month, for a trip on 3rd May, surely I want it by the summer
2018-3-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules