First Crash / Could have been worse.
948 7 2018-3-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DeFuanz
lvl.2
United States

Flying where i usually do today i had my first crash. I was flying in sport mode around some trees (Not really sure why i thought it was a good idea) and missjudged the distance on one of them. Went from 24 mph to above a hundred as it crashed.  made for some cool looking footage but in the proccess i broke one of my arms and its hanging by the wire. I  ran to the area i saw it bounce in and was able to pinpoint it witht he camera feed and GPS. Ill try and upload the video later. In the meantime i have the drone drying with "Liquid Nails" adhesive in the garage. As far as i could tell everything else worked great and the gimble is untouched along with the camera still being in great condition (Thank god). So i was definitly lucky to only walk out with aesthetic damages and not any others. Giving it 24 hours clamped and drying to get the best from the adhesive and gonna go out into the feild tomorrow to do a light test flight and make sure everything is working properly. If i notice any problems i will look into a repair quote with DJI. On a minor scale broke two props as well but still had plenty of spares.
*Completely pilot error and so far had no problem with drone.* lesson learned

Wish me luck for tomorrow lol.
2018-3-2
Use props
Ram-UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132648 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry to hear you crashed your drone. Hope everything works fine after repair. I have crashed couple of times but luckily it didn’t got any worse than breaking couple of pairs of props. It’s good now I am extremely careful. Wish you good luck.
2018-3-2
Use props
Ardenno
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1877910 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I wouldn't take off a drone with broken-glued arm. Even if I break one of my racing drones carbon arms I wouldn't ever fix like that and fly. I'd say it is to dangerous if something snap in your drone close to the people. I always using original replacement parts for my drones for safety reasons.
2018-3-2
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927185 ft
United States

cool fix, let us know how it works!

I also crashed and broke an arm.  I replaced the entire body shell, which turned out to be a lot of work.
2018-3-2
Use props
DeFuanz
lvl.2
United States

RobertWSimpson Posted at 2018-3-2 14:52
cool fix, let us know how it works!

I also crashed and broke an arm.  I replaced the entire body shell, which turned out to be a lot of work.

Any videos on how to do that? that might be my next option. Currently im using liquid nails to seal the arm and i bought a silicon shell that goes over each arm and the body for extra support.
2018-3-2
Use props
DeFuanz
lvl.2
United States

Ardenno Posted at 2018-3-2 14:16
I wouldn't take off a drone with broken-glued arm. Even if I break one of my racing drones carbon arms I wouldn't ever fix like that and fly. I'd say it is to dangerous if something snap in your drone close to the people. I always using original replacement parts for my drones for safety reasons.

i agree with the safety of it, thats why when it dries after 24 hours i will take it to an open area and let it hover while i run tests to make sure all signals and software are working fine. after that do some short flights in different modes to apply pressure to the arm to see how it holds before anything too crazy. I also wouldnt repair my racing drones with adhesive, however in the area of this break and the speed and power of this drone (not in sport mode) i thought i would give it a try considering i dont fly around people. I appreciate the feedback!
2018-3-2
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, there. Did you contact our support? Please send it back for repair: http://www.dji.com/support Be careful to fly your drone and hope you can get your drone back soon.
2018-3-2
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927185 ft
United States

DeFuanz Posted at 2018-3-2 16:45
Any videos on how to do that? that might be my next option. Currently im using liquid nails to seal the arm and i bought a silicon shell that goes over each arm and the body for extra support.

yeah check out youtube.  I watched another guy's video when I made my repair.  I also made a video of my repairs as well, but it's more of a VLOG than a how to.   Here's mine though:
2018-3-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules