What is the best way to update several batteries?
659 13 2018-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WOWO1
lvl.2

United States

Best way to update several batteries?
2018-3-3
Use props
Wyke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33166 ft
United Kingdom

One at a time
2018-3-3
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

I will follow this thread because I have never even understood that the batteries need to be updated individually and, in fact, have thought about creating a thread with a similar question. The only thing that makes sense for me is that their discharge cycle must be set individually.
2018-3-3
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Denmark

But why... what happens?
I have updated firmware on the drone several times, and done it with a battery mounted of course. Do you think there will be more updates if I then mount another battery and look for updates again?
2018-3-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

With the MPP I use DJI's advanced version of their charging hub. This will charge up to 4 batteries semi simultaneously so when battery 1 hits around 85% it will start charging battery 2 and so on. Using the stock 50W charger I can charge all 4 batteries from 15% - 100% full charge in 4 hours. That's more than an hour quicker than with the standard hub you get in the fly more combo. The Advanced hub is also compatible with the Phantom 4 series 100W charger (unlike the standard hub) and can charge the same batteries in 2.5 hours...
I don't use any chargers or hubs other than those made by DJI as it may cause issues with the cells and even invalidate the warranty on the batteries and drone should it crash due to a battery malfunction caused by using an unofficial charger.
As for updating FW on the batteries this can only be done one at a time via the app or using Assistant 2 as part of the drone update. The USB port on the hubs are for updating FW on the actual hubs and not the batteries - though there has never been a FW update on the Mavic hub's since they were released.  

2018-3-3
Use props
WOWO1
lvl.2

United States

When you install another battery and go to FW on the DJI-GO4 will it say the battery needs to be updated?
2018-3-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

WOWO1 Posted at 2018-3-3 08:21
When you install another battery and go to FW on the DJI-GO4 will it say the battery needs to be updated?

Yes it does - however, this pops up at the home page (the one with the picture of the Mavic on it) - and can take several seconds to pop up. So connect the drone as normal and leave it on that page whilst it checks the FW and if there is an inconsistency between the drone and battery FW it will pop up asking you to update. Slide the screen to do it. It only updates the battery and takes about a minute to do. You need to do this with every battery other than the one you used to update the FW on the drone as that will also update the battery with the drone at the same time - all of your remaining batteries will then be inconsistent and need updating. That said, not all FW updates on the drone require the batteries to be updated - the DJI release notes of any new FW release will state if the batteries need updating too.
2018-3-3
Use props
WOWO1
lvl.2

United States

Very thorough, thanks and God bless
2018-3-3
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Denmark

A CW Posted at 2018-3-3 08:25
Yes it does - however, this pops up at the home page (the one with the picture of the Mavic on it) - and can take several seconds to pop up. So connect the drone as normal and leave it on that page whilst it checks the FW and if there is an inconsistency between the drone and battery FW it will pop up asking you to update. Slide the screen to do it. It only updates the battery and takes about a minute to do. You need to do this with every battery other than the one you used to update the FW on the drone as that will also update the battery with the drone at the same time - all of your remaining batteries will then be inconsistent and need updating. That said, not all FW updates on the drone require the batteries to be updated - the DJI release notes of any new FW release will state if the batteries need updating too.

Excellent explanation.
However, I have never seen a popup from the app regarding battery update... maybe it happens one day.
2018-3-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FlyDK Posted at 2018-3-3 08:50
Excellent explanation.
However, I have never seen a popup from the app regarding battery update... maybe it happens one day.

Sit tight at that screen for up to a minute and it should pop up. If it doesn't there is either a fault somewhere or the battery is already updated.
2018-3-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

WOWO1 Posted at 2018-3-3 08:37
Very thorough, thanks and God bless

No problem - glad to help.
2018-3-3
Use props
MBrown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 619790 ft
United States

I'm glad someone posted this question.  I have been wondering about this since my first "required" update  at the time of purchase.  I've never had to update any of the batteries.  I'm still at 100 for the FW and am terrified to update anything.  All I see are major update problems on here and not to many successful posts.

I'm probably wrong on this but it was my understanding that with the MP  FW updated, any battery attached and connected would automatically be upgraded.  Yes / No?

I dread the day when I have to upgrade the FW on the Mavic.
2018-3-3
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Thanks A CW.  

Just wondering if there was  list of firmware updates that also includes battery updates that are needed at the same time??
2018-3-3
Use props
Wyke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33166 ft
United Kingdom

I apologise for my (failed) attempt at humour. As the f/w update can only be done on the AC I’d taken it as self explanatory they could only be done that way. Thank you A CW for the detailed  explanation.
2018-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules