2013 16 2018-3-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GazFromBrum
lvl.4
Flight distance : 38606 ft
United Kingdom

Hi All

My flight record is now showing top altitude as 772.0 ft........ individual flights show a maximum of 69ft.

Where would it get this strange stat and is there any way to correct it.

Gary
2018-3-4
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Could you have been standing on a piece of ground that was 703 feet above see level ? I believe that top altitude figure comes from the (inaccurate) GPS altitude recorded, which is relative to see level. Whereas your 69 feet comes from aircraft barometer which records (more accurately than GPS) height above take off point.
2018-3-4
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

The max height always shows the altitude of the highest take off location, not the highest altitude flown.
2018-3-4
Use props
GazFromBrum
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks guys........... now that makes more sense.
2018-3-4
Use props
Dorset_Horn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 93379 ft
United Kingdom

700ft?? In Birmingham?? Not even the BT tower is that high!
2018-3-11
Use props
GazFromBrum
lvl.4
United Kingdom

more to the point its raised to 821 ft now......... so not so sure the other explanations work. ..... not that its a big issue anyway.
2018-3-14
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dorset_Horn Posted at 2018-3-11 07:43
700ft?? In Birmingham?? Not even the BT tower is that high!

Birmingham is between about 500-1000 feet above sea level, depending where you are.
2018-3-14
Use props
Dorset_Horn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 93379 ft
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-3-14 10:43
Birmingham is between about 500-1000 feet above sea level, depending where you are.

Aaaah! Thought it was all canals!
2018-3-14
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

Thats ok.. Mine shows a Max Altitude of 13,110 feet (3995 M).  I was on top of a mountain at the time.  According to my GPS in my jeep, I took off from 12,990 Feet (3989 M)  Looks impressive though..
2018-3-14
Use props
GazFromBrum
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Brad Bilger Posted at 2018-3-14 18:37
Thats ok.. Mine shows a Max Altitude of 13,110 feet (3995 M).  I was on top of a mountain at the time.  According to my GPS in my jeep, I took off from 12,990 Feet (3989 M)  Looks impressive though..

I have a way to go to catch you then..... although if it keeps rising without me having a flight it may be quicker than I thought.
2018-3-16
Use props
Captain Mal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 337890 ft
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-4 09:34
The max height always shows the altitude of the highest take off location, not the highest altitude flown.

My top altitude shows -13.2 feet.  lol!
2018-3-16
Use props
Silvex
lvl.3

United States

Is this under flight records in the DJI GO 4 app? I see "MAX TAKEOFF ALTITUDE" and the "Max Alt." under Flight List.

The max take off altitude shows the elevation of my home relative to see level. The max alt on the flight list page shows my individual flight altitudes.

Which one are you looking at?
2018-3-16
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Captain Mal Posted at 2018-3-16 11:23
My top altitude shows -13.2 feet.  lol!

Then you are at a location below sea level, there are many of them. Forget about the idea that Earth is just a flat disk ;-)
2018-3-16
Use props
Sea Parrot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89154 ft
United Kingdom

Yet another confusion between altitude - which is actually the distance above sea level - and height, which is the actually the distance between the aircraft and the ground directly underneath the aircraft.

DJI keep using the word "altitude" when they should be using "height". It's a distinction that pilots who fly manned aircraft (I used to fly 4-seater aircraft around the UK) are trained to completely and thoroughly understand - and it's still easy to get wrong   On the aircraft I flew I was always very aware of whether my altimeter was set to indicate the height about ground (using what is called the QFE pressure setting) or the altitude, i.e. height above the sea (Using the QNH pressure setting). Getting them mixed up could be - and in many cases, was - a fatal mistake especially when flying in cloud. A friend of mine died when he flew his aircraft into a hill just short of the summit possibly because he made this simple mistake. He was probably about a thousand feet lower than he thought he was.
I'd *really like* DJI to follow international aviation terminology convention and start using the terms "altitude" and "height" correctly. After all, we are all pilots, flying unmanned aircraft, and are subject to the aviation laws of our various countries.
2018-3-16
Use props
Sea Parrot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89154 ft
United Kingdom

Also - the confusion between Altitude and Height by DJI, and on the DJI apps could also lead to rather nasty legal issues.

For example - my DJI GO 4 flight log shows my maximum altitude is 252m, over 800 feet. Yet the maximum height I am allowed to fly a UAV in the UK is 400 feet or 120m. So have I broken the law?
Well, I haven't and I won't - I flew my MA from ground about 130m above sea level, so although the altitude is 252m, the height was still less than 120m, the legal limit.

But try and explain that to a magistrate or a jury.......
2018-3-16
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Sea Parrot Posted at 2018-3-16 13:59
Yet another confusion between altitude - which is actually the distance above sea level - and height, which is the actually the distance between the aircraft and the ground directly underneath the aircraft.

DJI keep using the word "altitude" when they should be using "height". It's a distinction that pilots who fly manned aircraft (I used to fly 4-seater aircraft around the UK) are trained to completely and thoroughly understand - and it's still easy to get wrong   On the aircraft I flew I was always very aware of whether my altimeter was set to indicate the height about ground (using what is called the QFE pressure setting) or the altitude, i.e. height above the sea (Using the QNH pressure setting). Getting them mixed up could be - and in many cases, was - a fatal mistake especially when flying in cloud. A friend of mine died when he flew his aircraft into a hill just short of the summit possibly because he made this simple mistake. He was probably about a thousand feet lower than he thought he was.

You are raising very valid points here (and I had seen your other post on it too), thank you!
2018-3-16
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

GazFromBrum Posted at 2018-3-16 08:53
I have a way to go to catch you then..... although if it keeps rising without me having a flight it may be quicker than I thought.

Lemme tell you...  launching off that high a mountain was fun.  Had a guy up there with a Karma that wouldn't even get off the ground.  My MP flew like a bat.  BUT, the battery only lasted about 4500 feet flight distance.  That thing was working soooo hard to fly around..  But worth it.
2018-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules