My Mavic Air Failed to Ascend on Take off and Crashed!
4695 34 2018-3-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Shay13
lvl.2
Flight distance : 106355 ft
Ireland

Hi all,

So a little background first. I have had my drone for 4-5 weeks. I use it in Ireland, mostly open areas, fields..etc I have had zero issues with it and I am in love with this little guy.

So a couple weeks ago, one of the front blades was hitting off the body. It was only trimming it, and once I did a take-off, the blades spun above the body so it was no big deal. But during intial (engines on) start, you could hear the blade hitting off the body. Quiet a sharp sound. It even scraped the body a little, but very tiny.

So lets skip to yesterday. Here in Ireland we have had big snow lately. I was out in the fields taking off as usual. I only take off when the snow stops and it is clear. Here's what happened..

I placed the Mavic Air on my piece of cardboard, on top of the snow. We were in a big open field. Bear in mind, I had got some great snow shots a few days ago with no issues whatsoever. I started the engines. I double checked my phone for any warnings / errors. It said ready for take off and had about 8 sattellites. Now before take off I heard the props hitting the body a little. But I Ignored this and attempted take off. Here's where it all went wrong. I held my Left stick up for Ascend. The problem was, the drone would not go over about 1 foot. It was hovering SO close to the snow I was so worried. I looked at the phone and it said Max Motor Speed Reached. I quickly forced a landing back onto the cardboard but it clipped some snow on its way. I wiped the small bit of snow off the drone. It was minimal amount of snow and I doubt any water damage was caused becase the snow brushed off easily. So now, I did the sensible thing by not attempting another take off and putting it back in my bag.

I got home, a little worried about my poor drone. I wanted to put my mind at ease and test it out again. Before this, I replaced the propeller which got chipped from the first bad landing. So now with new prop, I placed the drone down outside and attempted another take off. Again, no errors or warnings I tried again. And BAM it took off but went to the right and a prop hit the edge of the snow and got chipped.

I then took it indoors and put the prop guards on. I started it up and attempted take off and could feel it veering to the RIGHT side. I knew at this stage a motor was damaged. I then examined each motor by carefully rotating each prop with my finger. I noticed each prop rotated with a twitch (non smooth motion). But ONE prop rotated smoothly, without the twitch. This then led me to the conclusion that this motor was damaged.

My concern is, why would it not ascend in the open field I was in? No errors or warnings on screen? I had taken off in a similar location a couple days before this.

Has anyone else had take off problems with the Mavic Air? Or problems with props hitting the body? I honestly did nothing different than previous successful flights. So I do not see what I did wrong? Surely warranty will cover this faulty take off?

Thank you,
Shay

2018-3-4
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

For whatever reason one or two of your props got bend too much. Where do you normally store or transport it in? For the rest of the story you definitely should send it in for repair: https://www.dji.com/support
2018-3-4
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

"It said ready for take off and had about 8 satellites" Did it report home point has been updated? If not the GPS & Compass may not have been sync'd providing accurate positioning and you were actually in ATTI mode at takeoff. Personally I wont take off with less than 12 Sats locked and and hear the familiar Home Point update. That being said, can you upload the .txt file/log for us to look at HERE, and post the link back to this thread. Maybe someone will find the anomaly.
2018-3-4
Use props
Shay13
lvl.2
Ireland

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-4 12:38
For whatever reason one or two of your props got bend too much. Where do you normally store or transport it in? For the rest of the story you definitely should send it in for repair: https://www.dji.com/support

Hey. Thanks for the reply!

I keep the Mavic Air in its original zip pouch. The day of the crash I had it in its pouch in a school bag. Do you reckon the props got bent whilst in my schoolbag and that this caused the Max Motor Speed issue?

Thanks,
Shay
2018-3-4
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

Shay13 Posted at 2018-3-4 12:51

I keep the Mavic Air in its original zip pouch. The day of the crash I had it in its pouch in a school bag. Do you reckon the props got bent whilst in my schoolbag and that this caused the Max Motor Speed issue?

The little "twitch" in the motor is normal and should be this way, it is the magnetic field of the rotor/stator as it skips between magnets. If it feels smooth most likely something is up with that motor.
2018-3-4
Use props
Shay13
lvl.2
Ireland

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-4 12:54
The little "twitch" in the motor is normal and should be this way, it is the magnetic field of the rotor/stator as it skips between magnets. If it feels smooth most likely something is up with that motor.

Sorry I didn't clarify. I am aware that the twitch is normal, hence the one which was not longer twitching, made me assume it was the broken one.
2018-3-4
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't own a Mavic Air but sorry to hear about your issue. Just thinking out loud and my first reaction draws to the non-folding props as compared to the Spark and Mavic Pro?
2018-3-4
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-4 13:00
I don't own a Mavic Air but sorry to hear about your issue. Just thinking out loud and my first reaction draws to the non-folding props as compared to the Spark and Mavic Pro?

Not sure if this provides the exact explanation but it's a good place to start?
2018-3-4
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

The original case that comes with the MA is firm enough to protect it, unless you really packed it in there crushing the case but that would be very evident. Sounds to me like you had a bent prop that was not obviously visual with the eye, continued use even though you heard it hitting the body probably contributed to the motor failing.
2018-3-4
Use props
Shay13
lvl.2
Ireland

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-4 12:49
"It said ready for take off and had about 8 satellites" Did it report home point has been updated? If not the GPS & Compass may not have been sync'd providing accurate positioning and you were actually in ATTI mode at takeoff. Personally I wont take off with less than 12 Sats locked and and hear the familiar Home Point update. That being said, can you upload the .txt file/log for us to look at HERE, and post the link back to this thread. Maybe someone will find the anomaly.

Not sure where to get the flight logs. All the guides online are outdated! I hit the 3 dots in DJI Go App, and there is no Flight Logs to be seen in any tab.
2018-3-4
Use props
Shay13
lvl.2
Ireland

I have connected the Mavic Air via USB - Powered On and Connected to the App. When I browse it I see a file named 'dji.gis'. That what you need? p.s. I do not want to install iTunes. All my devices are iPhone FYI.
2018-3-4
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

Shay13 Posted at 2018-3-4 13:11
Not sure where to get the flight logs. All the guides online are outdated! I hit the 3 dots in DJI Go App, and there is no Flight Logs to be seen in any tab.

Open Go4 on your device( you do not need to be connected to the AC/RC ) let it open, once open in the bottom right of the screen you will see an icon labeled "Me", tap on that, if you are not currently signed in it may make you sign in, once signed in you should see "Flight Records" tap on that and it will show you all the flights you have logged if you haven't deleted any to date. You can connect to your PC/MAC and d/load the files & save them. You want the .txt file as they are your logs. Once you have completed saving them to you computer you can upload the specific file you want to the link I provided above, once you do that and see the flight copy the link while it is open in the viewer and paste it back here for help.
2018-3-4
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Shay13 Posted at 2018-3-4 13:13
I have connected the Mavic Air via USB - Powered On and Connected to the App. When I browse it I see a file named 'dji.gis'. That what you need? p.s. I do not want to install iTunes. All my devices are iPhone FYI.

Use the link in post #3. The file is a .txt file under DJI/djigo4/flightrecord. and post back the link to the upload. It's on your device not the Mavic.
2018-3-4
Use props
Shay13
lvl.2
Ireland

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-4 13:19
Open Go4 on your device( you do not need to be connected to the AC/RC ) let it open, once open in the bottom right of the screen you will see an icon labeled "Me", tap on that, if you are not currently signed in it may make you sign in, once signed in you should see "Flight Records" tap on that and it will show you all the flights you have logged if you haven't deleted any to date. You can connect to your PC/MAC and d/load the files & save them. You want the .txt file as they are your logs. Once you have completed saving them to you computer you can upload the specific file you want to the link I provided above, once you do that and see the flight copy the link while it is open in the viewer and paste it back here for help.

I am looking at the Flight Records. Firstly, I do not see an option to export them?

Secondly, the first problematic flight, shows it was in OPTI mode immediately after Take Off. I understand OPTI mode is used when GPS is lost? There were 5 satellites showing and 7 a few seconds later. Also it shows NO GPS. :/

EDIT: During second attempt, it shows 16 sattelites. Yet it still wouldn't ascend..

2018-3-4
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Are you sure it was placed in the correct direction inside the pouch? On the bottom of it there is an indication for how to place it correctly. We have had at least one case similar to yours already, where the Mavic Air was apparently placed in the wrong direction, then bending the props.
2018-3-4
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Shay13 Posted at 2018-3-4 13:36
I am looking at the Flight Records. Firstly, I do not see an option to export them?

Secondly, the first problematic flight, shows it was in OPTI mode immediately after Take Off. I understand OPTI mode is used when GPS is lost? There were 5 satellites showing and 7 a few seconds later. Also it shows NO GPS. :/

You need minimum 11 satellites for a stable GPS link. Taking off with less than that is bound to encounter problems.And for the flight record it is very simple. it ends with *.txt. Upload it to this site http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ and post the link here.
2018-3-4
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

Shay13 Posted at 2018-3-4 13:36

EDIT: During second attempt, it shows 16 sattelites. Yet it still wouldn't ascend..
, this is probably due to the motor issue, but as far as drifting, as WB said and as we said above you need to wait until you get enough sat's (for me that's 12) and a verbal home point update before taking off.

Glad you found the logs, are you using IOS or Android platform for your device? What PC are you using MAC or PC?
2018-3-4
Use props
Shay13
lvl.2
Ireland

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-4 13:40
Are you sure it was placed in the correct direction inside the pouch? On the bottom of it there is an indication for how to place it correctly. We had had at least one case similar to yours already, where the Mavic Air was apparently placed in the wrong direction, then bending the props.

Looks like I may have put it into the pouch wrong. I never made sure it was correct, didn't think it was that important. But I guess it really is...
2018-3-4
Use props
Shay13
lvl.2
Ireland

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-4 13:41
You need minimum 11 satellites for a stable GPS link. Taking off with less than that is bound to encounter problems.And for the flight record it is very simple. it ends with *.txt. Upload it to this site http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ and post the link here.

Yes but I am on iPhone. I cannot access files that easily...
2018-3-4
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Shay13 Posted at 2018-3-4 13:48
Looks like I may have put it into the pouch wrong. I never made sure it was correct, didn't think it was that important. But I guess it really is...

Yes it is since otherwise the props get bend. Maybe DJI should consider to make this more visible than it is now.
2018-3-4
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Shay13 Posted at 2018-3-4 13:49
Yes but I am on iPhone. I cannot access files that easily...

Ah ok, sorry, but I have no experience at all with iPhones.
2018-3-4
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

Shay13 Posted at 2018-3-4 13:49
Yes but I am on iPhone. I cannot access files that easily...

You will need to upload the files to ITunes first then d/load them to your PC/MAC
2018-3-4
Use props
Shay13
lvl.2
Ireland

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-4 13:57
You will need to upload the files to ITunes first then d/load them to your PC/MAC

Thanks I'll do it now
2018-3-4
Use props
Shay13
lvl.2
Ireland

Here are the logs

First Take Off: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/8Y6V5REH490L4GZ8P6N0/

Second Take Off: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/8QPT4JXE31IJ38H5OY6X/

I think the second one is a continuation of the first. Where with the second, I kept the props running and attempted a second take off.
2018-3-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Shay, I am sorry to hear your crash. Please contact our support to start a case and send your drone in, we will help to make data analysis for this crash and find out the cause, if it's a warranty case, we will get your drone repaired with no charge according to our After-sales Policy. http://www.dji.com/support
2018-3-4
Use props
cspain
Second Officer
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

Why did you keep trying to fly it with the props whacking into the body? Not trying to be an ass, I just don't understand the mentality of trying to fly a drone while the props are eating themselves.
2018-3-4
Use props
Shay13
lvl.2
Ireland

cspain Posted at 2018-3-4 19:19
Why did you keep trying to fly it with the props whacking into the body? Not trying to be an ass, I just don't understand the mentality of trying to fly a drone while the props are eating themselves.

No thats a fair comment. I had previosly heard the prop hitting the body by a fraction, and thought, once it starts up, the props are raised and no longer hit the body.

Lesson learned ey...

I have opened up a case, just waiting on shipping label. Will report back once they run diagnostics on my precious.
2018-3-5
Use props
cspain
Second Officer
United States

Shay13 Posted at 2018-3-5 02:02
No thats a fair comment. I had previosly heard the prop hitting the body by a fraction, and thought, once it starts up, the props are raised and no longer hit the body.

Lesson learned ey...

Good luck with everything! You're not the only one with this issue BTW:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D534%26typeid%3D534
2018-3-5
Use props
Shay13
lvl.2
Ireland

Good to know I'm not alone If this was the root cause, then I hope warranty covers it. At the end of the day, props should never hit the body. If it were my fault by not putting it back in its casing correctly, then DJI need to make it A LOT clearer about which way the drone sits back into its carry pouch.
2018-3-5
Use props
cyborg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 123960 ft
Singapore

dji ought to put a bit more specific  warning inside the case to show which way the drone should be placed, or just have a word "GIMBAL" written on the correct side on the inside of the case (or something like that). The existing subtle sign is good, but people tend to miss it sometimes, which causes such expensive lessons.
2018-3-5
Use props
Shay13
lvl.2
Ireland

In the worst case scenario, they turn around and say it was my fault, how much will a replacement / new motor cost? I don't have DJI Care.
2018-3-5
Use props
cspain
Second Officer
United States

Shay13 Posted at 2018-3-5 08:06
In the worst case scenario, they turn around and say it was my fault, how much will a replacement / new motor cost? I don't have DJI Care.

No idea, but maybe this could give you a ballpark figure:
https://foxnomad.com/2017/05/04/ ... e-works-much-costs/
2018-3-5
Use props
ChosenIdea
lvl.1
Canada

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-4 13:53
Yes it is since otherwise the props get bend. Maybe DJI should consider to make this more visible than it is now.

The props can get bent either way in the provided case if it’s in there long enough. My Air is always put into the case properly. My two props hit the drone, and of course there is no way to immediately shut the drone down in time to prevent overload and damage to the motors. The drifting is because your motor is screwed, no mystery really.
2018-3-18
Use props
ChosenIdea
lvl.1
Canada

cspain Posted at 2018-3-4 19:19

Dude. There is no shutting a drone fast enough. Of course one doesn’t fly purposely like that. Damage is done at soon as you confirm take off. Visually it’s almost impossible to see the props are bent enough brcause it takes very little for the props to touch the drone.
2018-3-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Shay13 Posted at 2018-3-5 08:06

First I think you had a problem with your motor whether this was caused by just simply putting it in your case or an ongoing problem with the motor really is not your fault it simply shouldn’t happen, the warning you got when you were 1ft off the ground was simply because now the motor was at much higher revs and good that you got the warning then, as to trying to test further in another location or in your house I would expect anyone to do the same.
Your motors are guaranteed under warranty and most certainly should be replaced free of charge and you should insist on this as a minimum, if you had a crash caused by you that’s a different matter but is not the case, you paid good money for a really good product and dji should stand by you in this purchase. I wish you luck but I believe you don’t need it.
2018-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules