1564 19 2018-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jpf67
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36391 ft
Colombia

Hi there,

Palm launch fails half the time. To be clear, the Spark recognizes me, starts the props rotating and lifts off my palm  for a couple inches but then turn off  props and falls.

I am using just gesture control, no remote, no phone.

Thank you in advance for any advice,
2018-3-5
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Did you follow the user manual and do step by step? Please ensure that you have the right procedure. If you keep failing to use the feature, please shoot a video of the process for further check.
2018-3-6
Use props
Jpf67
lvl.1
Colombia

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-3-6 02:06
Did you follow the user manual and do step by step? Please ensure that you have the right procedure. If you keep failing to use the feature, please shoot a video of the process for further check.

I am almost sure I am doing the procedure. This weekend I will try again. Thank you
2018-3-6
Use props
Linny&HerSpark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20830 ft
United States

This has happened to me as well. It recognizes me, starts to lift off, and gets about 1-2 inches off my palm when it shuts off, flips over, and falls. I've read the instructions, watched videos of others doing the palm launch, so I know I am holding and releasing it correctly. The prop guards are on when I do palm launches, so I am not nervous about getting cut. I always have the controller on hand to make sure I have a gps lock before taking off and to take over if I need to. I've had more successful palm launches than unsuccessful ones but until I understand how the unsuccessful ones are happening I am leery of using this feature.
2018-3-6
Use props
Jpf67
lvl.1
Colombia

Linny&HerSpark Posted at 2018-3-6 06:24
This has happened to me as well. It recognizes me, starts to lift off, and gets about 1-2 inches off my palm when it shuts off, flips over, and falls. I've read the instructions, watched videos of others doing the palm launch, so I know I am holding and releasing it correctly. The prop guards are on when I do palm launches, so I am not nervous about getting cut. I always have the controller on hand to make sure I have a gps lock before taking off and to take over if I need to. I've had more successful palm launches than unsuccessful ones but until I understand how the unsuccessful ones are happening I am leery of using this feature.

Tha is very sad because my main use of the drone will be as a travel camera, without using any phone or control. The possibility of using this feature in a fast way, without the time required to activate wifi and connect the control, was a very  strong point to my desition to buy the spark, even over the Mavic Air that could not do that.
2018-3-6
Use props
rimza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3307 ft
Brunei

Just ensure that you are in a well lit area. Sometimes it failed indoors due to insufficient lighting. But outdoors you should be getting the face recognition done in a jiffy for palm launch after the double click.
2018-3-6
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927185 ft
United States

Are you taking your hand away right when it takes off?  The only proper reason that I can think of why this would happen is if it thinks it's landing again right away.
2018-3-6
Use props
Jpf67
lvl.1
Colombia

RobertWSimpson Posted at 2018-3-6 08:24
Are you taking your hand away right when it takes off?  The only proper reason that I can think of why this would happen is if it thinks it's landing again right away.

Yes, I remove my hand when it takes off...

This weekend  I will do more tests!

Thank you!
2018-3-6
Use props
Linny&HerSpark
Second Officer
United States

Jpf67 Posted at 2018-3-6 06:56
Tha is very sad because my main use of the drone will be as a travel camera, without using any phone or control. The possibility of using this feature in a fast way, without the time required to activate wifi and connect the control, was a very  strong point to my desition to buy the spark, even over the Mavic Air that could not do that.

Using a controller is no big deal and doesn't take a lot of time to set up, especially if you use your cell phone. Besides, you have to wait for gps to lock in, anyway, before you can take off. The cell phone gives you an added level of security in that you can see the signal strength and the number of satellites you're locked onto. And, you can always use the controller as a backup in case you need to land the Spark immediately.

The gestures are fun, but after a while I can guarantee you will want more out of Spark for use as a travel camera.  
2018-3-6
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927185 ft
United States

Jpf67 Posted at 2018-3-6 08:33

yeah, let's see some video and flight logs!
2018-3-6
Use props
Jpf67
lvl.1
Colombia

rimza Posted at 2018-3-6 07:46
Just ensure that you are in a well lit area. Sometimes it failed indoors due to insufficient lighting. But outdoors you should be getting the face recognition done in a jiffy for palm launch after the double click.

I think light is not he problem. Face recognition is working well, the spark is trying to take off for a little while but after that props turn off.
2018-3-6
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Jpf67 Posted at 2018-3-6 08:53
I think light is not he problem. Face recognition is working well, the spark is trying to take off for a little while but after that props turn off.

My Spark has never done this.  The take off has it rev the motors twice then lifts off.  It doesn't matter if I take my hand away quickly or hold it still.  It will just hover there.  I do have the remote connected though.

Are the bottom sensors dirty or smudged?  Programming has bugs and needs an update/refresh?  Something stuck or floating around loose in the motors?

You can do a gesture mode take off with the phone or remote connected and see if it throws any warnings when it shuts down.
2018-3-6
Use props
hg87
lvl.2
Flight distance : 117123 ft
Australia

The fact that it appears to turn off in mid flight would indicate a problem. Even if for some reason it would try to land again immediately it would not turn off the engines before it would sense solid ground.
2018-3-6
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

Jpf67 Posted at 2018-3-6 08:33

Try leaving your hand where it is until the drone gets a bit more altitude and is stable... It might still be traking its height off the ground using the downward sensor and when you remove your hand it drops.  
2018-3-6
Use props
Linny&HerSpark
Second Officer
United States

LouisP Posted at 2018-3-6 12:37
Try leaving your hand where it is until the drone gets a bit more altitude and is stable... It might still be traking its height off the ground using the downward sensor and when you remove your hand it drops.

That makes sense! Thanks. Since I have the same issue I'm going to watch for that.
2018-3-6
Use props
Jpf67
lvl.1
Colombia

Linny&HerSpark Posted at 2018-3-6 12:44
That makes sense! Thanks. Since I have the same issue I'm going to watch attention for that.

Yes, that make sense... I will try that on weekend... if that does not work I will post a video.
Thank you/
2018-3-6
Use props
dj_dread
First Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

Jpf67 Posted at 2018-3-6 13:05
Yes, that make sense... I will try that on weekend... if that does not work I will post a video.
Thank you/

when palm launching you need to wait and not let go Spark until the front led light are RED. the motors will start but it will take 2-3 seconds until it tries to lift from your hand. if you holds it from the battery you will feel when it tries to take off. don't let go until the front leds are turning red.
2018-3-7
Use props
Jpf67
lvl.1
Colombia

dj_dread Posted at 2018-3-7 13:56
when palm launching you need to wait and not let go Spark until the front led light are RED. the motors will start but it will take 2-3 seconds until it tries to lift from your hand. if you holds it from the battery you will feel when it tries to take off. don't let go until the front leds are turning red.

Thank you... Hopefully this weekend I will give a try!
2018-3-8
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Jpf67 Posted at 2018-3-6 06:56

I have done 50+ palm launch and land with zero issues.  Everyone of these were without app or remote.  Might want to make sure your spark is calibrated.  Also make sure the bottom sensors are clean and don't have fingerprints or dust on them.  Fingerprints will affect your spark due to the oily reflection on the sensors and bottom camera.
2018-3-8
Use props
Jpf67
lvl.1
Colombia

Sparky_17 Posted at 2018-3-8 05:36
I have done 50+ palm launch and land with zero issues.  Everyone of these were without app or remote.  Might want to make sure your spark is calibrated.  Also make sure the bottom sensors are clean and don't have fingerprints or dust on them.  Fingerprints will affect your spark due to the oily reflection on the sensors and bottom camera.

Thank you for your advice!
2018-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules