Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Yania1991
lvl.1
Flight distance : 43609 ft
Ukraine

Hi!
Sorry if this question was asked before,
but after all updates, what is the real difference between two versions of goggles in terms of software capabilities?
I mean, I know that RE have ability to receive analog signal, which is based on hardware, but also they have support for 360 panoramas and local video playback and recording, which I believe relays more on software.
Are these features available now on regular DJI Goggles? I mean - 360 panoramas view and video playback/recording.
I'm going to buy Mavic Air bundle with regular Goggles, and I want to know what will I miss without RE Goggles.
2018-3-6
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

There is much detail on this point. To best address your question, check out this forum discussion: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=120807
2018-3-6
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

It's not clear in the FAQ pointed out above, but for DJI copters, the RE offers no advantages over the regular white goggles. The functionality is exactly the same, same capabilities, same latency and so on. the RE goggles I find more comfortable to wear and the rubber seal works a little better than the white ones. But it has the disadvantage of the 5.8ghz antenna sticking out, which is fragile and very easily damaged if you bump it on something, etc.,  which is not used to my knowledge with DJI copters. NOTE on that: I don't know if it's safe to use the goggles without the 5.8ghz antenna connected - there's a transceiver in the goggles for use with the ocusync air unit and if the transmitter is ever activated without the antenna connected that could destroy it. So it may or may not be safe to take the antenna off when using just DJI drones like the mavic pro, air, etc.  To avoid that, I just always have an antenna on mine all the time. It's doubtful DJI support even knows either, so if you asked them I wouldn't trust their answer regardless even if they gave you one. I'd just never take the antenna off except for storage/transport etc. If the transmitter in the goggles does burn out, that'd be major $$$ to fix I would imagine...

But if you use the ocusync air module, or have existing machines that use a 5.8ghz analog video setup, the RE are what you want....
2018-3-9
Use props
Yania1991
lvl.1
Flight distance : 43609 ft
Ukraine

Thanks for reply!
That's exactly what I was looking for.

Actually, I decided to stay with my old trustworthy Mavic Pro.
FPV with goggles seems a lot more immersive with Pro than with Air (head tracking, distance, latency, 1080p video feed, wireless connection, ability to use goggles along with phone and/or second pair of goggles...), so I'll buy them anyways.

Also I found that the price difference between RE and regular goggles is about 35 dollars around here, so I think that I will go with RE - I like their design, and of course possibility to use them with any 5,8 GHz analog FPV system or with separate OcuSync unit is a nice benefit for the future.

Regarding external antenna - as far as I have a degree in radio engineering and know a little about that stuff - I think that it's not safe to use them without it.
Very basic and simple transmitters could really burn without antenna. I believe that the transmitter in DJI Goggles is much more sophisticated, and have means that will prevent damage. Also it's not very powerful. But why take the risk? Also removing the antenna could negatively affect the quality of the link.
2018-3-9
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yep, like with anything that has a transmitter in it, I never so much as power it up without an antenna connected. Again, DJI doesn't document this or mention it at all that I've been able to find in the RE manual or release notes - not even a caution to not power up the Air unit without antennas connected. The power ratings on the transmitters in both the goggles and the air unit are up to 25 dBm, which is a couple hundred milliwatts, IIRC. Without a lot of protection in the RF circuitry, that's enough to smoke them immediately if they're run without a load....

So, given absolutely zero caution or mention from DJI, there's no way to know if the units will blow up or not without antennas, so I just never ever go near them without antennas in them.

It's just a minor inconvenience to have to transport the RE goggles with the pagoda attached. I've already broken mine twice where the coax goes into the connector; I've fixed it with a solder bridge both times and I should probably order a new one . I don't like unscrewing it and reinstalling it every time either since I want to work the connector in the goggles as little as possible also. That's also not a user-serviceable part that I can see and it'd be nightmare if I wore it out or broke it....
2018-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules