P3 Pro arrived and works great with Samsung Tab 4. Summary positive experience.
1793 6 2015-5-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kpnphoto
New

United States

I've been anxiously reading the forums while trying to get a new phantom.  Since I had such a positive experience I thought I'd share since the forums seem to be only negative.
You'd think the launch is a disaster reading the forums but everything is phenominal.  First I pre-ordered from B&H on 4/14 and then they sent me a message saying it was backordered.  I read the forums and found All e RC had P3 Pro's in stock and I sent an email at 9pm inquiring.  They responded within minutes and I got my order in soon after.  I needed it asap so I called the next day and upgraded the shipping to 2 day fed ex.  It arrived just as promised.  Their customer service was top knotch, much better than B&H or DJI themselves.  I will follow up with them to purchase a case and highly recommend them to all.

I have used ios devices in the past but needed something to use in the mean time.  After much deliberation and reading online I went and bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 for $150 at Walmart since they have a 14 day return policy.  I installed the latest DJI Pilot app from the DJI web site since it's not on the play store yet.  While the device is not bright enough in direct sun it performed spectacularly.  The video quality is excelllent and the latency was minimal.  The app works great and the image quality of everything is stunning.

I can now say everything went absolutely perfectly (and wow the P3 is a lot faster than the phantom 2!).

2015-5-4
Use props
Tipsea
lvl.1

United States

My experience has been nothing to complain about either. The phantom 3 was my first drone purchase and all I can say is wow. I am an apple guy as well and was to excited to wait on the app, so I too purchased a Galexy Tab 4 to hold me over. My plan was to use it until the app came available. However everything has been working so well I have decided to keep the Galaxy Tab.I am amazed at what this thing is capable of and hope it continues to preform as it has. I have about 12 flights under my belt so far and the only thing I wish I had was more batteries.
2015-5-4
Use props
russell.frazier
lvl.3
Flight distance : 53645 ft
United States

Congrats, and enjoy.
2015-5-4
Use props
Muleshoe2
lvl.2

United States

Great to hear guys. Keep us posted. (And this from one of the negative Nellies.)

I, too, bought a Tab 4 for this. Would either of you explain, step by step, to a geezer, how you downloaded from the website to the Tab? Should I delete the Pilot App I already downloaded from the Play Store first?

I tried to download from dji, thinking it would just upgrade the Play Store version, but the app I already had didn't change. I just decided to wait until the Play Store version is upgraded, but you have me fired up again.
2015-5-4
Use props
wavis184
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1810735 ft
  • >>>
United States

To fly or not to fly. I get my P3 tomorrow. But I am thinking on waiting to fly her till all the bugs are work out.
2015-5-4
Use props
Jim.young04
lvl.2

United States

I wish I could say the same. I just bought a tab 4 running 4.4.2 and have the updated dji pilot app and only a few seconds into connecting with the drone it will crash the tab 4, sending it into a constant shut down and start up loop until its battery dies... any idea of what to do?
2015-5-4
Use props
spencer_hamons
lvl.1
Flight distance : 292208 ft
United States

I too am running the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10.1" (SM-T530NU), 16gb model with a 64gb microSD for additional storage.  I use mine for both normal, daily use...plus flying.  I have had a positive experience with my Galaxy Tab and the Phantom 3 Professional.

I know I am responding to older posts here, but I wanted to add this in for newbies who may be considering the same configuration.  The 10.1" form factor does not fit perfectly into the DJI holder on the controller.  The holder is about 1/8" too small for the device to fit properly. However, if you place the bottom of the Galaxy Tab in to the holder, the slightly force the top of the tablet into the holder, it will go.  I was nervous doing this the first time, and I wouldn't suggest doing it initially in the cold, but now it works fine with my tablet.

Also, the first few times I did this, I mounted the tablet off-center in the holder, because the USB port is on the bottom of the device, in the middle, and it will not connect through the slot in the holder.  Once I was comfortable that the Tab 4 was going to work as I wanted, I used a Dremel tool to widen the opening in the bottom of the holder (see picture below).  That allows me to mount the device centered.

I am a definite newbie to this hobby, although I have taken video and pictures for years.  This is one of the most addicting new hobbies I have ever encountered.  Hope all of you feel the same.  A link to my first video is posted below for review if you are interested.

Making USB Cable Fit with Samsung 10 inch tablet.jpg

Samsung Tablet on Controller.jpg

Spencer Hamons
Angel Fire, NM
2015-9-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules