Mavic Air Gesture Mode Serious Issue
2077 8 2018-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Topcat668
lvl.1
United States

I found this out quite by accident yesterday when my ac restarted in my hand after landing and powering down in gesture mode. I picked up the ac (yes i should have turned it off) walked into my garage and the motors started while the ac was in my hand and major torgue as it tried to take off. was able to pop out battery to mitigate the crisis.

Turns out that if you are in the app or initiate gesture mode by double pressing the button on the back of the craft it stays in that mode until you either close it in the app or power down the ac. I think in my case it was still in gesture mode and as i carried it my hand or something came in front of the camera and it thought it was time to take off again.

If I have my facts right and that's what happened it seems like a dangerous issue as an inadvertent gesture could restart the ac. Seems like that mode should be disabled upon landing and then you have to reselect in app to start again so that doesn't happen. Thoughts?? Or am I way off here? Just happy to have all my fingers today!
2018-3-7
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82323 ft
United States

Agree 100% - it should be disabled automagically by any landing event ... UNLESS you have specifically selected an option to leave it enabled!
2018-3-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I feel sorry for this happening to you, is everything alright with you? If you are not going to fly it afterwards, I suggest shutting the drone down first and carrying it. For your case, I will also transfer to our engineers to confirm. Please keep you all safely.
2018-3-7
Use props
Tadango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232359 ft
Suriname

I don't see it as an issue. Always power of the drone when not using it when in gesture mode. I like the option to land it and then take off again.
2018-3-8
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The only times it should be powered is if its on the ground ready to take off or doesn't have the props attached while doing data transfer etc. On landing from gesture control, carefully pick the air up and turn it upside down. This should prevent the motors kicking in by mistake. Then turn it off.
It is a bit of a risk that it is possible that it might mistakenly detect the gesture to take off just as you pick it up to power down. More so because the power button is on the bottom of the aircraft.
They should have stuck with the sparks palm launch/land then at least your finger is near the power button when it lands in your palm for killing the power or you could double tap the back button to turn off gesture mode or worst case you turn the air on its side to kill the motors. I feel safer flying my Spark using just gestures than I do with my Air.
2018-3-8
Use props
Topcat668
lvl.1
United States

Well I agree it should be powered off and now that I’m aware that it can restart in smart capture mode it won’t happen to me again but for someone who is unaware this could happen... it’s potentially dangerous. Let’s say you were reaching down to pick it up and it mistakes someone else’s gesture to start up. Realize probably a rare case but could happen. It happened to me.
2018-3-8
Use props
chimenti.jacopo
New

Hong Kong

we will take your advice into consideration,thanks.
2018-3-12
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, 7# is from our engineers, thank you for your suggestion.
2018-3-12
Use props
SafariMan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67703 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

If that happens again, turning the aircraft upside down will stop the motors and power the craft down.
2018-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules