Compass calibration
1991 9 2018-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans697f385f
Second Officer
Flight distance : 832421 ft
United States

Hello, almost every time I turn on my Mavic Air, I am asked to calibrate the compass. Is this normal?
Sometimes the calibration goes fine at the first attempt, but others I get a fail error due to magnetic/metal pretense nearby when there is none.
I contacted tech support but the answer they sent me seems pretty canned.
Also, how can I insert properly the square black plastic cable retention thingy that holds the lightning plug to the controller?
Thanks in advance.
2018-3-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Really you should never need to calibrate compass, but dji seem to have made setting very sensitive, I can see problems happening here,
2018-3-8
Use props
PS013
First Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

My mavic air asks for compass calibration if/when I power it up next to my computer or car. It looks like the test for calibration is more sensitive on the Mavic Air compared to other DJI drones. Itis a bit of a pain, but you really want that compass to work properly
2018-3-8
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Just to verify, did the aircraft status come back to normal after the calibration? I suggest that you try to change another open area, calibrate the compass and see if it is very easily detecting the compass error.
For the cable, please try to make some strength to plug the head to fix on the frame.
2018-3-8
Use props
stacebaal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 621257 ft
United States

I have have the same issue after the latest firmware update with my Air. Power cycling the Air or sometimes even relaunching the Go 4 app will force compass calibration.  Even of the Air is not in an area with interference or has not moved since it was successfully calibrated.  I have a P4 and Mavic Pro and and very am familiar with how a DJI compass typically functions. Something is definitely wrong.  There was another thread where several other users had reported similar experiences.  Of note, my first several flights with the firmware the Air shipped with (and the Go app at that time) had no compass issues.  I started noticing it after updating.  
2018-3-8
Use props
nywrecker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 832421 ft
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-3-8 20:17
Just to verify, did the aircraft status come back to normal after the calibration? I suggest that you try to change another open area, calibrate the compass and see if it is very easily detecting the compass error.
For the cable, please try to make some strength to plug the head to fix on the frame.

Hi Thor, the aircraft does go into normal mode after calibration. It is always used in open area and far from magnetic sources.
I did not understand your procedure for the cable retention clip. Can you pls clarify?
Tks.
2018-3-9
Use props
djiuser_eSP63Yx7FSmZ
lvl.1
United States

i have this problem everytime i fly almost. i think it happens when you are not in an open area. i have to recallibrate it even on the sidewalk because the curb or cars, i tried in an open grass field today and i was good
2018-3-9
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Hi there, I got news from our engineers:
1.        When the app prompts that the compass needs to be calibrated, the drone’s compass has suffered from interference as the aircraft was turned on in a place where there is magnetic interference. Make sure to fly the aircraft in an open area free of interference.
2.        When powering on the drone, ensure that the aircraft is at a standstill. If there is interference or the aircraft is powered on during movement, the compass’s orientation may be altered, and then recalibration is needed.
3.        To ensure the flight stability, the app will prompt you to calibrate the compass when there is a need. Please follow the app and calibrate it. Thank you for your support.

2018-3-12
Use props
Alan M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1581581 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-3-12 23:34
Hi there, I got news from our engineers:
1.        When the app prompts that the compass needs to be calibrated, the drone’s compass has suffered from interference as the aircraft was turned on in a place where there is magnetic interference. Make sure to fly the aircraft in an open area free of interference.
2.        When powering on the drone, ensure that the aircraft is at a standstill. If there is interference or the aircraft is powered on during movement, the compass’s orientation may be altered, and then recalibration is needed.

Hi Thor

Point number 2 states "When powered on ensure the aircraft is at a standstill". Because the battery is on the bottom could rotating the craft (putting it back on the ground) be affecting the compass? As when you are turning it on you're moving it at the same time.

Alan M
2018-3-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Alan M Posted at 2018-3-13 03:13
Hi Thor

Point number 2 states "When powered on ensure the aircraft is at a standstill". Because the battery is on the bottom could rotating the craft (putting it back on the ground) be affecting the compass? As when you are turning it on you're moving it at the same time.

That's okay, no worries.
2018-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules