Mavic Air 360 Pano , Propellers Problem ?
1953 30 2018-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EliXyR
lvl.1
Flight distance : 65121 ft
Italy

Hello Guys, I have one question . I have try to make some 360 Pano with my mavic Air , and in all final result the upside is gray because ,
when the mavic takes photos of the sky, he also sees the propellers. This is normal ? Or do I have to calibrate something?   

Thank you in advance      

2018-3-9
Use props
EliXyR
lvl.1
Italy

2018-3-9
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Your pano looks very good to me. You need to watch it in a sphere (e.g. on Skypixel), then you'll understand. It does not only have to remove the props or shadows of props in the image, but it also has to auto-fill the sky because the camera cannot look up +90°. Otherwise there would be a hole in the upper part of the sphere.
2018-3-9
Use props
HenryHM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 795404 ft
Australia

looks good
2018-3-9
Use props
jerome42
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10617 ft
France

The propeller problem is due to the sun. In some positions the sun can make shadows with the propellers.
2018-3-9
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

If you have doubt in your pano photos, please shoot more pano and we will help you check if it works normally. Or you can follow the advice above and have a try first. Thanks for your help.
2018-3-10
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

This doesn't look like prop shadow to me, it looks more like exposure variance, were you shooting in Auto Mode? When doing pano's you should always be shooting in Manual mode as this will prevent the  camera changing exposure/aperture/wb & Iso between frames.
2018-3-10
Use props
AM0
Second Officer
Flight distance : 415554 ft
Estonia

The top of the image that looks smeared is Mavics estimation how the sky it can't shoot would have looked ;-)

If you take the original images and assemble them you will find out that there is no information whats up there, because Mavic can't turn its gimbal 90 degrees up.
So it creates some kind of "content aware fill" for this area. You can make it look better with Photoshop.
The real problem I can see in your pano is a dent in the horisont  on  the right side of the island.
To be honest, All the panos I have taken with Air have some problems with the seams of different images being blurry, horizonts with dents and the sky smeared.
It seems to be mainly because of limited processor resources onboard or unpolished algorithms. I hope they can refine these in the future updates.
Right now the best solution is to assemble panoramas in computer with Kolor Autopano, Microsoft ICE or something similar.
2018-3-10
Use props
EliXyR
lvl.1
Italy

Thank you so much guys..sorry for the delay but I did not have time in these days.   I will do new tests as soon as the weather is better, and I will keep you updated. Thank you all
2018-3-12
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-10 02:10
This doesn't look like prop shadow to me, it looks more like exposure variance, were you shooting in Auto Mode? When doing pano's you should always be shooting in Manual mode as this will prevent the  camera changing exposure/aperture/wb & Iso between frames.

Thanks for that tip Quadkid.
2018-3-12
Use props
EliXyR
lvl.1
Italy

Ok guys, i have try to shoot another Pano this morning...and this is the result.
The problem is still there .. the upper part is completely ruined
2018-3-13
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

EliXyR Posted at 2018-3-13 01:29
[view_image]

Ok guys, i have try to shoot another Pano this morning...and this is the result. The problem is still there .. the upper part is completely ruined

What software are you using to stitch the pano? It looks like the image needs to be cropped to get rid of the fill at the top. What pano setting are you using, spherical, 180, Horizontal, ect... ?
2018-3-13
Use props
EliXyR
lvl.1
Italy

This morning I did several tests and I had several problems during the flight,
When I tried to change the shot mode from single shot to 360pano, the voice "360pano" did not appear in the menu. When I managed to put the "360 Pano" mode, and I started the series of shots, the mavic air was completely blocked, it no longer responded to commands, I managed to get it back home thanks to the physical button on the controller. Do I need to worry ? Has anything like this happened to you?
2018-3-13
Use props
EliXyR
lvl.1
Italy

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-13 01:36
What software are you using to stitch the pano? It looks like the image needs to be cropped to get rid of the fill at the top. What pano setting are you using, spherical, 180, Horizontal, ect... ?

QuadKid , this is the genuine Pano. This panoramic photo was stitched directly from mavic air.
I think this problem is very visible when the photos are taken with very short shutter speeds like this one that has 1/8000 sec. The camera freezes the propellers and when the mavic air software goes to stitch the whole sequence, it creates these artifacts. Probably if I cut the images and stitch with photoshop, the final result will be good ... My question was whether it is normal for mavic air to give me a final photo like this.
Today, when I flew to take these images, I had a total block of mavic air during the shots of the 360pano, it no longer responded to commands and remained in hovering. In addiction, the pano360 mode, was not selectable for a period of time .. I'm really very worried ... this happened to some other person?
2018-3-13
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

EliXyR Posted at 2018-3-13 01:38
This morning I did several tests and I had several problems during the flight,
When I tried to change the shot mode from single shot to 360pano, the voice "360pano" did not appear in the menu. When I managed to put the "360 Pano" mode, and I started the series of shots, the mavic air was completely blocked, it no longer responded to commands, I managed to get it back home thanks to the physical button on the controller. Do I need to worry ? Has anything like this happened to you?

Were you trying to maneuver the drone while it was shooting the Pano frames?  It is normal for the AC to not respond while it is taking the pictures during any of the Pano features as it is locked in to maximize stability during the shoot, but control should return immediately after completion of the Pano series, DJI's stitching is a hit and miss situation at best, you should always "Save unstitched photos" for post editing just in case DJI's stitcher does not work properly.

If you are loosing connection "After" the Pano is complete I would keep drone close and in VLOS until you figure out if & why you are loosing control of the AC.
2018-3-13
Use props
EliXyR
lvl.1
Italy

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-13 02:19
Were you trying to maneuver the drone while it was shooting the Pano frames?  It is normal for the AC to not respond while it is taking the pictures during any of the Pano features as it is locked in to maximize stability during the shoot, but control should return immediately after completion of the Pano series, DJI's stitching is a hit and miss situation at best, you should always "Save unstitched photos" for post editing just in case DJI's stitcher does not work properly.

If you are loosing connection "After" the Pano is complete I would keep drone close and in VLOS until you figure out if & why you are loosing control of the AC.

Thank you very much for your quick response.
The sequence of shots for the 360pano is locked at 57%, the drone did not take more photos, I struggle to get back the controls for over 3 minutes, without any good result even if I pressed the physical button in the controller for "the cancellation of 'operation". I solved it by landing it down by pressing the physical button for the "return to home".
Is not it a strange behavior?
Is not it also strange that I did not appear in the menu 360pano mode for a period of time
2018-3-13
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

EliXyR Posted at 2018-3-13 02:35
Thank you very much for your quick response.
The sequence of shots for the 360pano is locked at 57%, the drone did not take more photos, I struggle to get back the controls for over 3 minutes, without any good result even if I pressed the physical button in the controller for "the cancellation of 'operation". I solved it by landing it down by pressing the physical button for the "return to home".
Is not it a strange behavior?

What operating system are you using IOS or Android? The best way to cancel any unwanted intelligent flight mode or features such as pano is to switch to sport mode then back to GPS, (the pause does not always work properly) this should cancel and bring you back to normal flight.
2018-3-13
Use props
EliXyR
lvl.1
Italy

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-13 02:55
What operating system are you using IOS or Android? The best way to cancel any unwanted intelligent flight mode or features such as pano is to switch to sport mode then back to GPS, (the pause does not always work properly) this should cancel and bring you back to normal flight.

I am android user .
Thank you for your tips  
Do you think it's a good idea to make a nice factory reset at mavic? and maybe even the tablet I use to fly "nvidia shield k1"?
I think maybe it's normal that the drone software can crash or get stuck, but to get rid of any doubt I try to reset all my devices.
2018-3-13
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

EliXyR Posted at 2018-3-13 03:12
I am android user .
Thank you for your tips  
Do you think it's a good idea to make a nice factory reset at mavic? and maybe even the tablet I use to fly "nvidia shield k1"?

It can not hurt. Just make sure you have a good stable internet connection. I would uninstall the Go4 App then re-install it to see if that helps. If not maybe refresh the Firmware using DJI Assistant 2.
2018-3-13
Use props
EliXyR
lvl.1
Italy

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-13 03:25
It can not hurt. Just make sure you have a good stable internet connection. I would uninstall the Go4 App then re-install it to see if that helps. If not maybe refresh the Firmware using DJI Assistant 2.

When I fly with the tablet , I don't have internet connection .
Now I start resetting all my devices, I hope everything goes well.
Intelligent batteries can not be reset right?
2018-3-13
Use props
djiuser_uTX1wVvovsol
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I also get the props in the picture when taking images, this is just one photo before a stitch

2018-3-13
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

djiuser_uTX1wVvovsol Posted at 2018-3-13 04:09
I also get the props in the picture when taking images, this is just one photo before a stitch

[view_image]

This looks more like a Vignette effect. Prop shadows would typically occur on both sides of the frame. The MA is capable of a +17º uplook making the total range of the gimbal 0º to 107º and may only be visible if the AC was pitched forward during pano shoot.

The batteries should automatically update the the latest FW when you use them if required.
2018-3-13
Use props
djiuser_uTX1wVvovsol
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I see both props on the phone screen, but because the blades are at 45deg to each other, only one blade gets captured in the shot. At least that is my interpretation, either way, it shouldn't happen.
2018-3-13
Use props
EliXyR
lvl.1
Italy

djiuser_uTX1wVvovsol Posted at 2018-3-13 04:09
I also get the props in the picture when taking images, this is just one photo before a stitch

[view_image]

This is mine xD at 1/8000 sec
2018-3-13
Use props
MWitarsa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2058179 ft
Brazil

EliXyR Posted at 2018-3-13 01:29
[view_image]

Ok guys, i have try to shoot another Pano this morning...and this is the result. The problem is still there .. the upper part is completely ruined

IMHO, it is not a propeller problem. I have a Mavic Pro, and it can't take pictures from above to complete zenith. So using native software (DJI Go) to stitch picture to compose a photosphere it will complete with something to cover a black hole.
Probably Mavic Air has same limitation.

I saw some youtube videos that some people are taking a couple of pictures from the sky after landing the drone, and pointing manually the camera to the sky.

But the stitching process need to be done on a photo edition software like Autopano or similar.

2018-3-15
Use props
Stahl80
lvl.1
Sweden

I get the exact same smudge sky when doing 360 pano. But when editing in theta+ and cropping it’s not visible at all (round globe
2018-3-29
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I've taken many 360 panos with Mavic Air and Spark.  Most all of the upper angle shots have props in them.  I don't notice them after stitching.  Using a separate stitching program like MS ICE I can use Photoshop to remove the props using the heal brush before stitching.
Stitching in GO4 fills the upper part with fill of the color of the upper image edge and blurs the joint.
2018-3-29
Use props
MWitarsa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2058179 ft
Brazil

This is not a propellers problem, the camera can't shot pictures of the sky (facing 90 degrees up).
To make a complete photo sphere, the software completes artificially the zenith.
2018-3-29
Use props
PvW
New

Netherlands

HI EliXyr, I have the same problem, this was not the case at first . Did you find any fix for it?
2020-9-1
Use props
PvW
New

Netherlands

2020-9-1
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands