Flying a drone in Canada, do I need insurance?
1089 4 2018-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ShadowZ
lvl.2
Canada

Hi all,
Newbie here planning to get my first drone Mavic Air, probably going to use it for hiking and take sport videos in private sport clubs (outdoor) in New Westminster and Burnaby.
I read the law is just being proposed, but I also heard it is required.  
I'm a bit confused right now, and just wondering if anyone here who fly in Canada know about this?  Thanks.

2018-3-12
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

I don't know about you folks up there to my north, But I use an app/Company called "Verifly".
You can by liability and "privacy" insurance for "on demand flights".
You select the area you want to fly, and for how long, and they tell you how much it will cost for that flight.
Typically, for an hour around my home area cost 20 buck US for 3 million liability and $10,000 "privacy" insurance, as in if someone sues you for invading their privacy....
Do not know if they would cover in Canada, but there might be something comparable......??????

https://www.verifly.com/
2018-3-12
Use props
ShadowZ
lvl.2
Canada

If insurance is required then that is too much for me, because I'm just planning to fly it for fun and take videos regularly, like around 2~4hours a week =/
2018-3-12
Use props
hamstergraphics
lvl.3
Flight distance : 992736 ft
Canada

ShadowZ Posted at 2018-3-12 11:33
If insurance is required then that is too much for me, because I'm just planning to fly it for fun and take videos regularly, like around 2~4hours a week =/

You don't need insurance yet, if flying for fun, under a certain weight.  Transport Canada is looking into changing this rules at some point in 2018.

This will however stop the need for the special operations certificate, or exemption if flying for work...which is good...  I'll happily get insurance if I know I don't need to contact them every time I nee to do paid work.

Transport Canada new rules proposals
2018-3-13
Use props
Mustang1993
lvl.2

Canada

You know what would be awesome is that if the major drone manufacturers did a deal with an insurance giant to provide a group policy for all drone pilots
2018-4-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules