Installing sd card into aircraft
1390 13 2018-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_wXlEdBOkZjYP
New

Vietnam

I keep pushing the SD card into the slot (metal tabs facing up) but it will not lock in place and there is nothing in the documentation or on the internet about it.  Should it lock into place like SD cards usually do or does the cover door take care of that for you?

2018-3-13
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

It should be spring loaded and lock into place like any other Micro SD, IMO it is a real pain in the ass to get to on the Mavic Air, I have to use a pair of tweezers to unlock it and reinsert it.
2018-3-13
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, please shoot a picture or video for further check. It should be locked in place. Thanks for your support.
2018-3-13
Use props
nywrecker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 832421 ft
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-13 01:59
It should be spring loaded and lock into place like any other Micro SD, IMO it is a real pain in the ass to get to on the Mavic Air, I have to use a pair of tweezers to unlock it and reinsert it.

The Mavic Air is an example of unbelievable engineering!
The way it folds, the  gimbal protector, the amount of electronics stuffed into such a small package, the very well thought out remote. All outstanding!
However the micro SD card slot is beyond ridiculous. It is literally impossible to get it in/out with your fingers. Only a pair of tweezers will do.
2018-3-13
Use props
Sea Parrot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89154 ft
United Kingdom

nywrecker Posted at 2018-3-13 06:14
The Mavic Air is an example of unbelievable engineering!
The way it folds, the  gimbal protector, the amount of electronics stuffed into such a small package, the very well thought out remote. All outstanding!
However the micro SD card slot is beyond ridiculous. It is literally impossible to get it in/out with your fingers. Only a pair of tweezers will do.

Because of the difficulty of removing the microSD card I look upon inserting it as a one-off task. It took me a good few minutes to get it inserted and later remove and re-insert it  - and so I have no plans to remove it again.
2018-3-13
Use props
hamstergraphics
lvl.3
Flight distance : 992736 ft
Canada

I have found easier to get in/out the more I use it.  I like using card readers instead of a cable to transfer.

Still, it does seem a bad design, but to answer the question, it should click and lock into place link any other card, nothing to do with the door.
2018-3-13
Use props
GazFromBrum
lvl.4
Flight distance : 38606 ft
United Kingdom

once you've inserted the card with the contacts facing upwards...... use a finger nail to push the card fully into the body of the Mavic..... you should feel and hear it click.... the final bit of travel should be against spring resistance..... hope this helps.
2018-3-13
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

I use a piece of old credit card to push it in until it locks.
2018-3-13
Use props
ChaosKnign
lvl.4
Flight distance : 402877 ft
United States

One-handed MicroSD inserting skills:

IMG_0516.jpg
2018-3-13
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

And all of us who have been doing this for awhile have had at least one experience of the SD card getting launched by the spring.  
2018-3-13
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-3-13 09:53
And all of us who have been doing this for awhile have had at least one experience of the SD card getting launched by the spring.

Been there done that and lost in the grass.
2018-3-13
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 573054 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Sea Parrot Posted at 2018-3-13 06:33
Because of the difficulty of removing the microSD card I look upon inserting it as a one-off task. It took me a good few minutes to get it inserted and later remove and re-insert it  - and so I have no plans to remove it again.

I'm definitely with you on that. Insert the card and leave it there. Once you get the PC recognising the two storage locations as separate drives (yeah, my PC had issues with that due to conflicting driver allocations - another thread), it's easy enough to copy the files to the PC.

I can do it with my finger (just), but it's easier with something smaller and slightly soft, like the end of a pen.
2018-3-13
Use props
djiuser_h6GPxJZK3poV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 30115 ft
United States

I've used a small piece of tape slightly surround the end of the SD card, folded so the folded end sticks out a little from the insert slot.  Makes it easier to pull the card out once it is released from the spring.
2018-3-13
Use props
hallmark007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 10186312 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think I need to win the battle with bulimia if I’m ever to get my sd card out of MavAir. Lol
2018-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules