Inspire Weak Signal appears to be temperature related?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_2kbOA1mTTqgc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1217 ft
United States

I recently purchaced the Inspire 1 RAW package, and am having problems with radio signal, which seems to be related to temperature. The outdoor temperature here is approximately 30 degrees Farenheight. The user manual says that the Inspire is designed to withstand 14 degree tempeartures, and there's a reference to an absolute minum temperature of -4 degrees F.

I can fly without issue when hovering in a heated garage. However if I set up and start the aircraft outside, I experience a weak radio signal, and can start the motors, but am sometimes unable to stop them due to the lost link (requiring me to turn off the battery while the props are still spinning). If I start the drone inside, then fly it outside, it can hover for about 5 minutes before a warning of "weak radio signal" is displayed, and the inspire throttles down and lands (the setting I've selected for lost link in the DJI Go App). This leads me to believe that the radio signal between the remote and the aircraft is being adversely affected by cold temperatures.

I'm wondering if anybody else has had problems flying their Inspire 1 in cold weather, and if there's anything I can do to help fix it. My business partner has reported flying his inspire in temperatures below 5 degrees farenheight, and suspects I may have faulty controllers (both controllers in the dual-remote RAW package have the same result).

Thank you for your assistance.
-Ben
2018-3-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

The operating temperature of RC is 14° to 104° F (-10° to 40° C) and the operating temperature of aircraft is 32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C). I see you have dual RC, have your switch them to have a try? Or I recommend to borrow your friend's RC to have a try. Please make sure that the antennas of RC are placed for the optimal transmission range. Besides, did you update all the firmware to the latest version?
2018-3-14
Use props
Donnie -
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I would do a re link for sure fo the AC to the Master RC.

In 30 degree F weather you should have NO ISSUES at all .

does this happen at other flying sites ?  I would test that out first and make sure it is not enviromental.

Be sure the Antennas are not crossed as well and Are in the vertical position .  Keep the RC high up in your hands when flying as well as I see many pilots lower the RC in their hands and point the antennas at the ground reducing signal range significatnly  .

You should never have to remove the battery to kill the motors , something is not right if you are loosing the siganl like that .

Did you buy  the system new or is their some history to it .

Are you on current FW and is the  go app up to date .  You dont have to be on the latest Fw but if you are on the say the original FW that may be the cause  too.

Let us/me know
** Peharps make the master The slave and the slave the master and see if it may be RC related.  You will need to relink of course.

donnie
2018-3-14
Use props
ben.eidem
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1217 ft
United States

It is forecast to be a bit warmer today so I'll test fly it again soon. This problem is even occurring in a low, approximately six foot hover, antennas pointed at the sky, with the aircraft only ten feet away or so horizontally. The latest firmware is installed, the GO app is the latest from the Google Play store. I've contacted DJI support in which we tried downgrading and re-upgrading the firmware, but yielded same results with both versions. I've flown in 4 different sites, one of which still had the problem but flew longer before beginning to lose signal.

To make sure we're on the same page with the battery, I've tried to take the drone outside, and turn on the motors so that the battery does not cool down. I sit at idle on the ground to time how long before I lose signal. If I'm unable to regain signal by bringing the remote closer, then I had to turn off the battery (not remove it) while the propellers are still spinning.

This is happening with both of my remotes, even after re-linking them as the master.

I bought the system new from B&H in New York, one of DJI's partner retailers. My friend who also owns an inspire will fly with me hopefully today to try his aircraft on my remote, and his remote on my aircraft, to see if we can further determine a likely cause.
2018-3-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules