How to react during compass failure.
1429 11 2018-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
thegrinch77
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2412513 ft
United States

I experienced a lot of compass /gps failures the first weeks after I got my Spark.  

Getting a compass failure under flight is really scary. My tips in this situation are:

1.Stay calm.
2.If the Spark starts drifting fast pull the stick up and gain some altitude. It will be much easier to guide the Spark home this way. The Spark often behaves weirdly when this error occurs, so additional height will buy you some time to figure out how to maneuver your little bee back home.

If the Spark wobbles on the same spot, or drifts in a circular pattern, breathe slowly. Usually, the Spark will re-aquire compass fix/Gps lock within 15 seconds or so.

3.If you experience compass failure, you should immediately calibrate the Spark compass, outside in a wide open area. Dont wear any metal objects and stay away from power lines, cars etc. while doing this. This solved all the problems with my Sparks compass/gps.

If this doesn't help, contact dji Support, they are really helpful!
2018-3-14
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927185 ft
United States

2. (b) - OR lower your altitude.  Depending on how high you are, you may be in windier conditions than are present at a lower altitude.  Lowering your altitude MAY decrease wind speeds and lessen the drifting because of the GPS and/or compass failure.
2018-3-14
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927185 ft
United States

I think another thing that can really help is for people to have another drone.  A super cheap and small one that you can fly indoors and practice with.  One that does not have any stabilization features whatsoever.  Flying these types of crafts will help hone your flight skills, which can really help when the drone loses use of it's safety features.
2018-3-14
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Also one should evaluate what in the environment is causing the compass interferrence.  Is it something on the pilot, in the launch pioint, or out in the area one is flying.  Also I think you have to put reverse pressure on the sticks to stop forward motion instead of just centering the sticks.  The pilot has give countering commands to stop whatever direction the spark is moving since GPS won't do it anymore.

I calibrated my compass once back in September and might have never calibrated my IMU since I was did it for my first flight on a lightweigth board set on the grass.  The calibration timed out.  I have never had a problem with the compass or IMU.  I also have only launched away from metal objects and I only wear a thong while flying to keep me pure.
2018-3-14
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Is it safe to say that if you still have a picture of what the camera is seeing, you still have control inputs going to the drone???  If so, I would check to see ATTI mode is active.
2018-3-14
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

If you are in ATTI mode and unsure which way to turn or go, I would go to Map mode (tap the map), turn the red aircraft icon to point to the HP, fly forward tracking the green line track back to HP.  If it doesn't move forward on the green line, you may have to go to Sport mode because the winds are too strong in Normal.
2018-3-14
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

It helps to practice flying in Atti mode in case the GPS is lost. That would help you out should any unforeseen events.
2018-3-14
Use props
thegrinch77
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2412513 ft
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2018-3-14 10:51
It helps to practice flying in Atti mode in case the GPS is lost. That would help you out should any unforeseen events.

That would be very helpful! And also a lot of fun. Do you know if it is possible to toggle between atti/gps/posi modes manually on the Spark?
2018-3-14
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

No can do...
2018-3-14
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

thegrinch77 Posted at 2018-3-14 13:07
That would be very helpful! And also a lot of fun. Do you know if it is possible to toggle between atti/gps/posi modes manually on the Spark?

Launch from next a magnet?  But you would be committed to ATTI mode flying at that point.  Think of the mounted bull rider suddenly seeing his bull's chute door open then wanting to hit the pause button.
2018-3-14
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

Purchase or borrow an old P3.   My P3S has a toggle switch on the RC that puts the drone in ATTI mode.   

It's great fun to fly ATTI -- and if I get in trouble, flip the switch back to GPS mode.

Sid
2018-3-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nr 1 is key indeed.
2018-3-14
Use props
Advanced