South Africa

2018-3-16
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A little more info as to what caused it - Craft failure, app issues, environmental issues or just pilot error. Hope it was found after the crash.
2018-3-16
Use props
Keule
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
Germany

CoreyB10 Posted at 2018-3-16 21:03
A little more info as to what caused it - Craft failure, app issues, environmental issues or just pilot error. Hope it was found after the crash.

As the title of the thread implied ... Eagle attack.
Watch the video: 1st attack at 30 secs, 2nd attack at 1m 14s
2018-3-16
Use props
Folkestone
First Officer
Flight distance : 843199 ft
United Kingdom

I’m no expert, but I’d say the crash was caused by the bird attack at about 1.15.
2018-3-16
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Keule Posted at 2018-3-16 21:09
As the title of the thread implied ... Eagle attack.
Watch the video: 1st attack at 30 secs, 2nd attack at 1m 14s

Was skimming through and missed the second of attack. DOH!! Gutted. Found it and any damage??
2018-3-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not good to see! Hope you got the drone back OK
2018-3-17
Use props
GazFromBrum
lvl.4
Flight distance : 38606 ft
United Kingdom

Was the Eagle okay ????
2018-3-17
Use props
Silvex
lvl.3

United States

Cool video! I would love to hear (i.e. read) the rest of the story!
2018-3-17
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

I would say Eagle 2 Mavic 0

Never did say if you recovered the Mavic.
Or did the Eagle take it back to it's nest?
2018-3-17
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Sorry you had a fight with an eagle and lost.  Hope you got your drone back and not too badly damaged.

Gotta say the ending was avoidable, 1st attack would/should have been sufficient warning to land the AC or take avoiding action to prevent the 2nd attack. Rapidly ascending would have been my first  move and flying back to home as fast as the AC would allow and grounding it.
I had an issue with a flock of crows and damaged an inspire so know exactly how you feel. It's not pleasant watching your AC surrounded by stupid birds. It cost a few euros to repair, but back up and flying, as will yours soon.
2018-3-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Mavic, you need Iceman to be your wingman.
2018-3-17
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Awful happening.  Did you find your quad and what was its condition?
2018-3-17
Use props
astrofly
First Officer
Flight distance : 554301 ft
Italy

Eagle not crown more probably. Do you recovered Mavic ? I remember a group of seagulls  that surrounded my Mavic Pro and immediatly I go high and gone away. Good luck.
2018-3-17
Use props
Face-AcheNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
New Zealand

Man that was hard to watch! But yeah, first attack with your bird still operational, i’d have been out of there. C’mon, give us an update - did you recover the drone? Much damage?
2018-3-17
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

At 31" it gave you a warning!!!
2018-3-18
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hope you find your bird
2018-3-18
Use props
kfloke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149961 ft
Singapore

OMG!!! Hope you find back your Mavic
2018-3-18
Use props
Kevin36
lvl.2
Flight distance : 356476 ft
South Africa

Sorry guys, just got home from my roadtrip. I'll post some details shortly. Basically the Find My Drone didn't work so we had to go hike up the ravine to go look for it. We had the cached video so we had a good idea where to look. We did find it, will post pic, despite nose diving into the rocks it didn't shatter completely. Gimbal and camera and some props bust, one prop missing completely and some nasty scratches on the drone itself.
2018-3-18
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

LOL eagle bait! Is it in one piece?
2018-3-18
Use props
Kevin36
lvl.2
South Africa

Ok, as promised, this is what happened. I was on a 5 day motorcycle roadtrip and stayed over at my favourite place, an extremely remote place in South Africa, called Gamkaskloof. I was flying my Mavic Pro in the mountains looking for bushman caves. I know the area well. I was staying with some friends who live their. We were not aware of any nesting eagles in the area. While we were staring at the screen on my mobile phone the feed just showed a quick flicker, I thought it was just a gimbal glitch. I had full control afterwards, no warnings and full video feed and thought nothing further of it, this turned out to be the first attack. I carried on rotating and scanning the cliff face. When all of a sudden the screen flickered again, I immediately received an audio warning, "ATTI MODE" then the video feed returned and it was a spiral of death. I hit RTH immediately, for whatever that was worth. On the original video (not this version I uploaded that I have slowed right down) nothing except these black flickers can be seen, it was recorded at 30fps at 1080p in DJI Go 4. So I had no idea it was an eagle attack. If anyone is interested I can upload it at normal speed (with audio)? It was only when the RC showed DISCONNECTED that I knew it had crashed, I cancelled the RTH. I opened the cached copy of the video and tried to determine what happened. Only when I slowed the video right down can the feathers of the Black Eagle (Witkruisarend) be seen. I did not have any opportunity nor enough warning to avoid this attack, it all happened in less than a second. Only later did we spot two Black Eagles circling in the area. I was happy to see they were ok. I used the Find My Drone option and we took a hike up the ravine. The green line on Find My Drone did not change, it never got shorter despite after about 2 hours of rock scrambling up the ravine and we knew we were close to the area it crashed, I need to investigate why this was so? Fortunately we found it. One prop was completely missing and two others broken. The battery was lying next to it. The gimbal was completely torn off. The drone has plenty of dings and scratches. The air vent behind the gimbal is completely dented in so it looks like it came down nose first. It is insured so tomorrow I put a claim in and hope for the best
mavic.jpg
2018-3-18
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

“Black eagle”?? Sure it wasn’t a crow?
2018-3-18
Use props
Kevin36
lvl.2
South Africa

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-3-18 11:20
“Black eagle”?? Sure it wasn’t a crow?

100% sure
2018-3-18
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Kevin36 Posted at 2018-3-18 11:07
Ok, as promised, this is what happened. I was on a 5 day motorcycle roadtrip and stayed over at my favourite place, an extremely remote place in South Africa, called Gamkaskloof. I was flying my Mavic Pro in the mountains looking for bushman caves. I know the area well. I was staying with some friends who live their. We were not aware of any nesting eagles in the area. While we were staring at the screen on my mobile phone the feed just showed a quick flicker, I thought it was just a gimbal glitch. I had full control afterwards, no warnings and full video feed and thought nothing further of it, this turned out to be the first attack. I carried on rotating and scanning the cliff face. When all of a sudden the screen flickered again, I immediately received an audio warning, "ATTI MODE" then the video feed returned and it was a spiral of death. I hit RTH immediately, for whatever that was worth. On the original video (not this version I uploaded that I have slowed right down) nothing except these black flickers can be seen, it was recorded at 30fps at 1080p in DJI Go 4. So I had no idea it was an eagle attack. If anyone is interested I can upload it at normal speed (with audio)? It was only when the RC showed DISCONNECTED that I knew it had crashed, I cancelled the RTH. I opened the cached copy of the video and tried to determine what happened. Only when I slowed the video right down can the feathers of the Black Eagle (Witkruisarend) be seen. I did not have any opportunity nor enough warning to avoid this attack, it all happened in less than a second. Only later did we spot two Black Eagles circling in the area. I was happy to see they were ok. I used the Find My Drone option and we took a hike up the ravine. The green line on Find My Drone did not change, it never got shorter despite after about 2 hours of rock scrambling up the ravine and we knew we were close to the area it crashed, I need to investigate why this was so? Fortunately we found it. One prop was completely missing and two others broken. The battery was lying next to it. The gimbal was completely torn off. The drone has plenty of dings and scratches. The air vent behind the gimbal is completely dented in so it looks like it came down nose first. It is insured so tomorrow I put a claim in and hope for the best

Find my drone didn't work because the battery had been popped out in the crash.  The drone has to be powered on for find my drone to work.
2018-3-18
Use props
Kevin36
lvl.2
South Africa

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-3-18 11:42
Find my drone didn't work because the battery had been popped out in the crash.  The drone has to be powered on for find my drone to work.

Aha I assumed it would take me to the last recorded GPS location, my bad
2018-3-18
Use props
burnham187
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Wow that is crazy.  Yeah after the first swipe from the bird that should of been a warning.   
2018-3-18
Use props
Face-AcheNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
New Zealand

Kevin36 Posted at 2018-3-18 11:07
Ok, as promised, this is what happened. I was on a 5 day motorcycle roadtrip and stayed over at my favourite place, an extremely remote place in South Africa, called Gamkaskloof. I was flying my Mavic Pro in the mountains looking for bushman caves. I know the area well. I was staying with some friends who live their. We were not aware of any nesting eagles in the area. While we were staring at the screen on my mobile phone the feed just showed a quick flicker, I thought it was just a gimbal glitch. I had full control afterwards, no warnings and full video feed and thought nothing further of it, this turned out to be the first attack. I carried on rotating and scanning the cliff face. When all of a sudden the screen flickered again, I immediately received an audio warning, "ATTI MODE" then the video feed returned and it was a spiral of death. I hit RTH immediately, for whatever that was worth. On the original video (not this version I uploaded that I have slowed right down) nothing except these black flickers can be seen, it was recorded at 30fps at 1080p in DJI Go 4. So I had no idea it was an eagle attack. If anyone is interested I can upload it at normal speed (with audio)? It was only when the RC showed DISCONNECTED that I knew it had crashed, I cancelled the RTH. I opened the cached copy of the video and tried to determine what happened. Only when I slowed the video right down can the feathers of the Black Eagle (Witkruisarend) be seen. I did not have any opportunity nor enough warning to avoid this attack, it all happened in less than a second. Only later did we spot two Black Eagles circling in the area. I was happy to see they were ok. I used the Find My Drone option and we took a hike up the ravine. The green line on Find My Drone did not change, it never got shorter despite after about 2 hours of rock scrambling up the ravine and we knew we were close to the area it crashed, I need to investigate why this was so? Fortunately we found it. One prop was completely missing and two others broken. The battery was lying next to it. The gimbal was completely torn off. The drone has plenty of dings and scratches. The air vent behind the gimbal is completely dented in so it looks like it came down nose first. It is insured so tomorrow I put a claim in and hope for the best

That's rough man - one of those situations where you don't realise what's going on until it's too late. Must have been a very tough eagle, surprised it wasn't damaged too!
2018-3-18
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

I have make my batteries red in the hope birds of prey doesn't attack my MP.
2018-3-19
Use props
Dorset_Horn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 93379 ft
United Kingdom

When you repair it you have to keep the scratches, as war-wounds!
Oh, and the eagle pinched your prop as a souvenir!
2018-3-19
Use props
Dorset_Horn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 93379 ft
United Kingdom

I've studied the footage and think it was one of these:
2018-3-19
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Kevin36 Posted at 2018-3-18 12:03
Aha  I assumed it would take me to the last recorded GPS location, my bad

It IS last reported location.  If the battery were still intact and charged, you could get updated information and maybe some flashing lights or beeps.  But that's not unusual and last recorded location is usually good enough in a crash :-)  Sorry Gary, wrong this time.
2018-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules