New Buyer Dilemma (which one and how )
1116 25 2018-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dr. Badhafari
lvl.1

United Arab Emirates

Dears,

I am planing to buy DJI Mavic for my next bike touring, i have the following questions:
1. What is the best mavic among the three models? price is not an issue.
2. As i am flying to South Korea within the next two weeks, do you recommend buying it from online or the main store in South Korea?

Kindly share with me your point of view and advice.

Regards

Badhafari

2018-3-16
Use props
GrahamG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73369 ft
United Kingdom

I wouldn’t buy abroad as you will have warranty issues should something go wrong. Rumour has it that the mavic pro 2 is due for release. Might be worth hanging on for a couple of weeks before buying.
2018-3-16
Use props
Dr. Badhafari
lvl.1

United Arab Emirates

GrahamG Posted at 2018-3-16 23:13
I wouldn’t buy abroad as you will have warranty issues should something go wrong. Rumour has it that the mavic pro 2 is due for release. Might be worth hanging on for a couple of weeks before buying.

Thank you for the prompt reply. My tour will start from 27 March to end of April. I would like to use it during my trip. If it will be released during the next two weeks, then ok, but if during April or end of April, then I do not have any choice cause I cannot delay it.

Thanks for the advice on the warranty. This is a valid point. I think also it should have an international warranty, isn't it?
2018-3-16
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hello Badhafari

"which is best" is a little subjective and down to what's important to you.

I think your choice should be between the PRO and the AIR; I  tried to set out the differences in a purely objective way in this comparison video.  Hopefully it will help you decide.
Buying online can take a week or two, but allows you to practice and get any additional accessories like SD cards and cases before your trip.  And watch out for the rules on drones and batteries on your airline. Emirates has different rules to most...
Best of luck
Ian

2018-3-17
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A lot of people call the Air a glorified Spark. Does the Air have as many issues as the MP ? I would go for MP due to the OcuSync connection and flight time. In fact, I have just purchased a MP as want to get back taking images. The MPP props work on the MP but the MPP has a bit longer flight time and a few other upgrades. When is MP2 coming out.....Who knows. There are lots of plus and minus points to all craft but it's personal preference for all craft and what you want to do with them. I must admit that the MP has probably been the most reliable of the DJI craft I have owned over the years and probably why I have gone back to it. Sounds like you will need portability, so all 3 fit the bill. Compare the specs, watch the vids and ask for guidance as you have on here. In regards to buying, I would always buy in your country of origin simply due to any issues already mentioned already. DJI Care/Refresh is also an option just in case you trash your shiny new toy on your exploration.
2018-3-17
Use props
Dr. Badhafari
lvl.1

United Arab Emirates

Thank you Ian, i have enjoyed the review, it is comprehensive and to the point. So far i thought platinum is the best choice, now i think it is air. AND the question remain what about the pro 2 release date and new futures?

I am not sure whether to wait or to buy. I Could delay my trip to 1st April.
2018-3-17
Use props
Dr. Badhafari
lvl.1

United Arab Emirates

CoreyB10 Posted at 2018-3-17 00:36
A lot of people call the Air a glorified Spark. Does the Air have as many issues as the MP ? I would go for MP due to the OcuSync connection and flight time. In fact, I have just purchased a MP as want to get back taking images. The MPP props work on the MP but the MPP has a bit longer flight time and a few other upgrades. When is MP2 coming out.....Who knows. There are lots of plus and minus points to all craft but it's personal preference for all craft and what you want to do with them. I must admit that the MP has probably been the most reliable of the DJI craft I have owned over the years and probably why I have gone back to it. Sounds like you will need portability, so all 3 fit the bill. Compare the specs, watch the vids and ask for guidance as you have on here. In regards to buying, I would always buy in your country of origin simply due to any issues already mentioned already. DJI Care/Refresh is also an option just in case you trash your shiny new toy on your exploration.

Thank you CoreyB10
I posted my reply before having the chance to read your response.  For me, the most important thing is the quality of the pictures/videos, and of course the reliability. Well, at the end I am not a professional, but I would like to record my bike touring nicely to record it for myself and family as well as in the case I want to share it via youtube in the future.
2018-3-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For international travel I would go with the MA. For superior range, flight time and noise reduction the MPP is the better option.
2018-3-17
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dr. Badhafari Posted at 2018-3-17 01:09
Thank you CoreyB10
I posted my reply before having the chance to read your response.  For me, the most important thing is the quality of the pictures/videos, and of course the reliability. Well, at the end I am not a professional, but I would like to record my bike touring nicely to record it for myself and family as well as in the case I want to share it via youtube in the future.

MP or MPP then.
2018-3-17
Use props
Dr. Badhafari
lvl.1

United Arab Emirates

I am confused really. My first choice was MPP, but then based on the review and comments I thoughts MA might be a better option cause the flight time is not a concern for me while the picture and video quality are, then MP2 news came that confused me more.

But if I will buy now, I think MPP would remain my choice now.

Regards
2018-3-17
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Dr. Badhafari Posted at 2018-3-17 02:48
I am confused really. My first choice was MPP, but then based on the review and comments I thoughts MA might be a better option cause the flight time is not a concern for me while the picture and video quality are, then MP2 news came that confused me more.

But if I will buy now, I think MPP would remain my choice now.

I agree, the MPP is an awesome Photo/Video machine and is readily available, the release of the Mavic Pro 2 is just a rumor at this point and even if it were released this month it will be like most new models you will have to monitor it closely to get in on the first round of purchases. The Mavic Air is great for portability and also does a good job in the photo/ video department. If you are a first time flyer I highly suggest you become familiar with flying & setting up parameters, they are an aerial computer platform and require reading the manual thoroughly, and becoming adept at flight characteristics. Would hate to see you become one of the people that loose or crash your new drone while in a foreign country right out of the box.
2018-3-17
Use props
Dr. Badhafari
lvl.1

United Arab Emirates

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-17 02:59
I agree, the MPP is an awesome Photo/Video machine and is readily available, the release of the Mavic Pro 2 is just a rumor at this point and even if it were released this month it will be like most new models you will have to monitor it closely to get in on the first round of purchases. The Mavic Air is great for portability and also does a good job in the photo/ video department. If you are a first time flyer I highly suggest you become familiar with flying & setting up parameters, they are an aerial computer platform and require reading the manual thoroughly, and becoming adept at flight characteristics. Would hate to see you become one of the people that loose or crash your new drone while in a foreign country right out of the box.

Dear QuadKid, thank you for the kind advice. I am new and never had one. I just want my bike touring to be a nice experience for me.
2018-3-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Dr. Badhafari Posted at 2018-3-17 01:09
Thank you CoreyB10

Mavic Air should be your choice it has a much simpler and much improved camera it has more than enough distance once you’ve travelled 2.5 miles you’ll realize how boring it is, Mavic Pro or MPP are becoming old hat in the drone world , I have both and I can tell you there is no big decision here get Mavic Air unless you want to wait to see what Mavic2 has to offer but you won’t have it for your break.
2018-3-17
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-17 11:02
Mavic Air should be your choice it has a much simpler and much improved camera it has more than enough distance once you’ve travelled 2.5 miles you’ll realize how boring it is, Mavic Pro or MPP are becoming old hat in the drone world , I have both and I can tell you there is no big decision here get Mavic Air unless you want to wait to see what Mavic2 has to offer but you won’t have it for your break.

I am very much inclined to agree that the Mavic Air would be a great choice.  The two single disadvantages are
1. Flight Time - so make sure you have a couple of spare batteries, and
2. Range - good to 1,000 - 1,500 metres, which is more than enough for most people

It's advantages are:
1. Much smaller and lighter than the Mavic Pro
2. Much better-designed camera gimbal that is less likely to get damaged, and a much simpler gimbal clamp that is much easier to fit and remove.  
3. Built in memory
4. Better camera in that it's always in focus and a higher bitrate. And some nice fun quickshots....

So for me, if you're travelling, the Mavic AIR is perfect.  
I have both the AIR and the PRO and will only be taking the AIR on trips with me for these reasons.

Ultimately be aware of the differences and then you can make your choice based on what's important to you.
But don't wait for the next release. It could be tomorrow or November.  
2018-3-17
Use props
Dr. Badhafari
lvl.1

United Arab Emirates

Wellsi Posted at 2018-3-17 11:48
I am very much inclined to agree that the Mavic Air would be a great choice.  The two single disadvantages are
1. Flight Time - so make sure you have a couple of spare batteries, and
2. Range - good to 1,000 - 1,500 metres, which is more than enough for most people

Dear hallmark007 and
Dear Wellsi,
You nailed it. I think I will go for the Mavic Air. The only question now is shall I buy it or wait for the pro 2? I have limited time and would like to record my touring from the beginning.  As per the rumors it might be released by 23rd March!, I am not sure. But of course it might be only rumors, and it might be on last April or even May.
2018-3-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Dr. Badhafari Posted at 2018-3-17 12:10
Dear hallmark007 and
Dear Wellsi,
You nailed it. I think I will go for the Mavic Air. The only question now is shall I buy it or wait for the pro 2? I have limited time and would like to record my touring from the beginning.  As per the rumors it might be released by 23rd March!, I am not sure. But of course it might be only rumors, and it might be on last April or even May.

The problem for you is you like the rest of us don’t know when you will see Mavic pro2 on the market, if you want it now get MavAir you won’t regret it. Mavic pro2 I think will set itself up in a different bracket to Mavic Air ie it should have a much improved camera bringing it closer to a P4Pro, I expect it will have all new features MavAir has and more, I expect it to be 500/600 more expensive than MavAir.

If it was me I would buy MavAir get used to flying and photography with drones and if Mavic 2 comes along sell your MavAir or keep it if you can because once you begin to realize the great fun and hobby flying this tech is you will want to move onwards . I think they will be two very different drones and you will find lots of very different occasions to use both. Get MavAir Now...
2018-3-17
Use props
Dr. Badhafari
lvl.1

United Arab Emirates

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-17 12:21
The problem for you is you like the rest of us don’t know when you will see Mavic pro2 on the market, if you want it now get MavAir you won’t regret it. Mavic pro2 I think will set itself up in a different bracket to Mavic Air ie it should have a much improved camera bringing it closer to a P4Pro, I expect it will have all new features MavAir has and more, I expect it to be 500/600 more expensive than MavAir.

If it was me I would buy MavAir get used to flying and photography with drones and if Mavic 2 comes along sell your MavAir or keep it if you can because once you begin to realize the great fun and hobby flying this tech is you will want to move onwards . I think they will be two very different drones and you will find lots of very different occasions to use both. Get MavAir Now...

Dear hallmark007
Thank you for the advice. I think you are right. It will take some time before I can appropriately use the MA. So, why not to consider it an opportunity to improve my knowledge and skills and in the future, I may go for MP2.
2018-3-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Have you checked to see what drone regulations are for South Korea?  Whether tourists are allowed to fly drones?
2018-3-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Wellsi Posted at 2018-3-17 00:20

"which is best" is a little subjective and down to what's important to you.

I believe camera speeds are in Mega-bits per second (Mbps), instead of Mega-Bytes per second (MBps)
2018-3-17
Use props
Dr. Badhafari
lvl.1

United Arab Emirates

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-17 12:57
Have you checked to see what drone regulations are for South Korea?  Whether tourists are allowed to fly drones?

Dear HedgeTrimmer,
Yes, I have checked
https://www.uavsystemsinternational.com/drone-laws-by-country/south-korea-drone-laws/
  • You cannot fly higher than 150 meters (492 feet)
  • You cannot fly within 5.5km of airfields or in areas where aircraft are operating
  • You must fly during daylight hours and only fly in good weather conditions
  • Avoid flying over people, or crowds and respect others privacy when flying your drone
  • You cannot fly near Seoul Plaza, military installations, government facilities, power plants, or areas of facilities related to national security
  • You cannot fly when there is low visibility or yellow dust
  • Do not fly your drone beyond line of sight

And i am going to Japan also,
2018-3-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Dr. Badhafari Posted at 2018-3-17 13:14
Dear HedgeTrimmer,
Yes, I have checked
https://www.uavsystemsinternational.com/drone-laws-by-country/south-korea-drone-laws/

As long as those laws apply to Visitors / Tourists too, sounds like you are good to go with a drone in S. Korea.  

I was thinking along lines of a Visitor or Tourist to U.S.  You can follow the flight rules, but if your drone is not registered as now required; a Visitor or Tourist could get booted or fined, and/ or their drone held for inspection by DHS.
2018-3-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Do also note the following too: -

-The MPP is, without exception, the quietest drone DJI have ever made. You won't hear it at 400' AGL or 200' away from you - you will hear the Air. That will make it more noticeable to passers-by and attract more attention on you when flying.
-The MPP will give you an extra 9 minutes of flight time per battery. Two MPP batteries will therefore give you the same flight time as three MA batteries - so less to carry and better for longer time lapses and B-rolls. The size difference when folded is minimal too - my MPP fits perfectly in my 5L Peak Design sling with 3 batteries, RC, iPhone 7+ and a host of accessories and I hike for miles with it slung over my shoulder
-The MPP RC has a built in LCD screen so if the app crashes during flight you can still see vital information to help you control the drone and know if it is flying away from you... though the MPP also has dual compass - unlike the MA with just one
-The MPP uses Ocusync transmission technology - vastly superior to the WiFi on the MA. Not only to double the operating range over the MA but has less latency, less drop outs, less glitches, wireless use of goggles, live feed to your device in 1080p over 720p on the MA, dual RC controls in a master/slave set up
-The MPP has fixed wing mode, waypoints, course lock, home lock and still has active track, tap fly, tripod, terrain follow, POI, quick shots etc and reaches over 40MPH in Sport mode
-The camera on the MPP can record up to c.4K - not just UHD, has a wider iris for improved low light shooting, portrait mode, manual focus controls for shallow focus images, x2 digital zoom - both have the same sensor and megapixels for stills
-The MPP has a faster air speed in p-mode at up to 36MPH with OA turned off - you'll get from A-B quicker and cover more footage due to the increased flight distance you can cover off of one battery - 15KM with the MPP
-Get the DJI advanced charging hub and you will be able to charge your batteries semi-simultaniously - unlike the Air which is sequential
-The flymore combo on the MPP is equipped with a car charger - you'll have to buy that separately with the Air - when in stock.
-The MPP flymore combo is £510 more than the MA flymore combo though - but I guess there are many reasons for that... ;-)
The MA is an excellent drone but it is important that you are aware of what both truly offer then go with what suits your needs best. For me, I prefer my MPP to my P4Pro which has a camera that wipes the floor with any Mavic.

2018-3-17
Use props
Dr. Badhafari
lvl.1

United Arab Emirates

A CW Posted at 2018-3-17 13:41
Do also note the following too: -

-The MPP is, without exception, the quietest drone DJI have ever made. You won't hear it at 400' AGL or 200' away from you - you will hear the Air. That will make it more noticeable to passers-by and attract more attention on you when flying.

Dear A CW
Thank you for the informative reply. Well, I am about to cry now. Waiting for the MP2 might be the best option now.

I apologize for my lack of knowledge about drone. I appreciate all your efforts and support.  
2018-3-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dr. Badhafari Posted at 2018-3-17 13:56
Dear A CW
Thank you for the informative reply. Well, I am about to cry now. Waiting for the MP2 might be the best option now.

Nothing to apologise for!
Bottom line - they are all great drones - it is a tough decision with so much to consider and so much on offer. Take a step back and think about the reasons why you want a drone - then assess what each one offers and the one that ticks the most boxes - buy it and don't look back! Good luck!
2018-3-17
Use props
Dr. Badhafari
lvl.1

United Arab Emirates

A CW Posted at 2018-3-17 14:01
Nothing to apologise for!
Bottom line - they are all great drones - it is a tough decision with so much to consider and so much on offer. Take a step back and think about the reasons why you want a drone - then assess what each one offers and the one that ticks the most boxes - buy it and don't look back! Good luck!

This is exactly what i will do. Thank you
2018-3-17
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-17 13:06
I believe camera speeds are in Mega-bits per second (Mbps), instead of Mega-Bytes per second (MBps)

You should know by now I can never sort my Bits from Bytes......    
2018-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules