12Next >
2585 41 2018-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CarloUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hi
I enjoy taking video and photos with my drone.  However while flying I find it a pain switching between the 2 modes and setting up the exposure etc.  So what ive statrd doing is only taking video and then extracting the still image from the video in FCP. With 4K resolution you wouldnt know the difference and it works great.

The resolution is well more than adequate for the social media type images where they all end up.

Regards CARLO
2018-3-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good points there - I often export stills from footage but sometimes it is good to properly line up a shot
2018-3-17
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

For snapshot type of pictures this might be ok, for real photography I would nevertheless always choose the proper picture mode. The available camera settings and photo options as well as the post editing possibilities are too good for not using them in my view.
2018-3-17
Use props
Mullheliflier
First Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I often take photos from my 4K video. The quality is generally pretty good and it also allows you to pick the exact shot you want. Sometimes I do take stills though.
2018-3-17
Use props
CarloUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-17 04:30
For snapshot type of pictures this might be ok, for real photography I would nevertheless always choose the proper picture mode. The available camera settings and photo options as well as the post editing possibilities are too good for not using them in my view.

I don't think you can call any photo from a drone real photography. Just doesnt have the dynamic range of full sensor stuff. But I get what you are saying
2018-3-17
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I'm not sure I follow.  If you set  both the camera and video settings you want before flying, then it's merely a matter of which button to push on the remote.  I'm talking Mavic Pro, don't know if the Air's remote is different.
2018-3-17
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

I agree with Wachtberger about taking a real photograph. But there are some things you might of captured in a video that you otherwise might not of seen and extracting a photo from it is OK.
Just my thoughts!
2018-3-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

CarloUK Posted at 2018-3-17 06:59
I don't think you can call any photo from a drone real photography. Just doesnt have the dynamic range of full sensor stuff. But I get what you are saying

Maybe you will post a real photo from your camera so as we can compare how inferior drone cameras and photographers are, you need to take a look at some of the amazing creative photography around here before you make off the cuff comments like that.
2018-3-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-17 10:43
Maybe you will post a real photo from your camera so as we can compare how inferior drone cameras and photographers are, you need to take a look at some of the amazing creative photography around here before you make off the cuff comments like that.

To do any kind of comparison would require taking picture with drone camera and hand-held camera at same location, from same angle, at same time.

Proof that there is a definite difference between a drone attached camera and hand-held camera is; DJI makes drones to carry normally hand-held cameras.

Part of difference in quality comes from lens used with hand-held cameras.  A single lens may cost several thousand dollars.  Another aspect of quality is hand-held camera's sensors better imaging capability.

A link that you can compare iPhone & Google Pixel cameras with against hand-held cameras.
Unfortunately, no comparison for DJI drone camera, but you can get idea from comparison as to what it takes to compete with hand-held and very high-end Phase One.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews ... -0.8490298618333083
2018-3-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-17 12:06
To do any kind of comparison would require taking picture with drone camera and hand-held camera at same location, from same angle, at same time.

Proof that there is a definite difference between a drone attached camera and hand-held camera is; DJI makes drones to carry normally hand-held cameras.

Your talking here about landscape photography, nothing to do with handheld cameras I’ve seen drones carrying hassleblad cameras, you need to compare apples with apples.
The OP said that , “ Idon’t think you can call ANY photo from a drone real photography” .That is a ridiculous statement . That’s my point.
2018-3-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-17 12:33
Your talking here about landscape photography, nothing to do with handheld cameras I’ve seen drones carrying hassleblad cameras, you need to compare apples with apples.
The OP said that , “ Idon’t think you can call ANY photo from a drone real photography” .That is a ridiculous statement . That’s my point.

"Your talking here about landscape photography"

Still, the permanent mounted drone camera (Mavic Pro) would loose against handheld cameras used for landscape photography.  

I have owned and used a professional camera with mine own pro-consumer lenses and with rented professional lens.  There is a major difference when it comes to sharpness, detail, contrast, saturation, and ability to take pictures in very low light.  Ability to swap lenses allows for so many things to be done, whether it is extreme wide-angle or zoom, correction for perspective, or depth of field.

Really comes down to what a person deems "real photography".  I know people who are perfectly satisfied with pictures taken by iPhone 5s.  But to me, those pictures are okay.  But not at all up to level of "real photography".
2018-3-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-17 12:52

Still, the permanent mounted drone camera (Mavic Pro) would loose against handheld cameras used for landscape photography.  

Have you ever flown an Inspire 2 with a Zenmuse X7? That's a drone capable of 6K video resolution and 24mp stills with the option of investing £5,000 in a set of lenses. They use that DRONE in Hollywood film productions.
The main purpose of a consumer grade drone over a hand held mirrorless is that people are not 400 feet tall - it's the perspective that makes aerial photography so popular as impossible to gain those perspectives with any hand held camera's from the ground.
2018-3-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-17 12:52

As AC W says try a zenmuse 7 you can get many different lens , cameras will never make great photography but photographers will, and there are a huge amount of great photographers hobbyists and professional using drones to create great and amazing photography, big difference with drone photographers is they can take handheld shots and aerial shots , handheld photographers need to be extremely tall to take aerial photography.

Photography taking photographs and video with cameras that’s what photography is , it’s not subjective it’s quite simple, being snobbish about it won’t change what photography is, some may like it some may not but it is still photography, that’s the subjective part of it.

Is football not football when a bunch of amateurs are playing , of course it is, they are ridiculous comments by OP, and your own don’t make much sense either.
2018-3-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-17 13:24
As AC W says try a zenmuse 7 you can get many different lens , cameras will never make great photography but photographers will, and there are a huge amount of great photographers hobbyists and professional using drones to create great and amazing photography, big difference with drone photographers is they can take handheld shots and aerial shots , handheld photographers need to be extremely tall to take aerial photography.

Photography taking photographs and video with cameras that’s what photography is , it’s not subjective it’s quite simple, being snobbish about it won’t change what photography is, some may like it some may not but it is still photography, that’s the subjective part of it.

Here is where part of trouble is.

1) We were talking about cameras attached to drones (like Mavic).   Now we are talking about drones with specialized cameras that can take lens.  In essence, moving to "real photography".  
As I pointed out, if Mavic drones cameras were capable of "real photography", why would DJI make drones capable of carrying full-frame or medium-format cameras?

2) We were talking about "landscape photography".  Which then jumped to "aerial photography", with "people are not 400 feet tall".  The two types of photography may overlap, but they mean different things to photographers.  Landscape photography often involves ground shots to give depth to images, along with drawing a viewers attention to primary subject of image.
2018-3-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-17 13:24

" it’s not subjective it’s quite simple"

We are going to have to agree to disagree.  Photography can be for purpose of documenting, or personal / family enjoyment, but when it comes to groups and public like images, photography like art is subjective.
2018-3-17
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

I am quite amazed how this thread has developed and feel a bit "guilty" myself to have triggered this nevertheless useful discussion. It is true that I disagree with the opening statement which suggests that just taking single frames from 4K videos could replace the photography capabilities of our drones. The truth is they can't and even our little drone cameras can achieve far more. But apart from that I am convinced of one fundamental truth that applies for both photography and videography: The very best results emerge from the eyes and emotions of the author, totally independent from the equipment used. Good equipment of course improves the technical quality, but not the content.
2018-3-17
Use props
Marian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340597 ft
Spain

If I am at a new location I am using my first battery to fly around and scout for the flight path when taking a video (with the second and third battery (no filters). During this first flight, I am taking photographs as well so I have them done. Once the battery is down I land, swap batteries add a filter and off I go again only this time for taking a video.

This works out pretty well so I can get a sense of my surroundings and shooting images at the same time.
2018-3-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-17 13:42
Here is where part of trouble is.

1) We were talking about cameras attached to drones (like Mavic).   Now we are talking about drones with specialized cameras that can take lens.  In essence, moving to "real photography".  

Your becoming more ridiculous now, this is about what photography is, I have a fixed lens Fuji 100A it has a fixed lens it’s a great camera, there are many cheaper Fuji cameras including throwaway ones are these not cameras that can take photographs which in turn is photography, I have seen many photographers using basic cameras to take great photography and have seen many amateur photographers with great cameras take some awful photography, photographers make great photography not cameras.

Aerial photography, it’s very similar to landscape photography, your not going to fly 300 metres up to get a photo of a bald head you can do that from the ground, but you can take many landscape aerial shots using a camera and a drone which you cannot with a handheld.

You were the one who brought up changing lens when comparing “real photography “ with fixed lens drone cameras, so I decided to compare apples with apples.

You should try staying on the subject , you say taking photographs with fixed lens camera on a drone is Not photography, but you think taking photographs with equivalent type of camera Is photography. This is ridiculous and that the nicest thing I can say about that.
2018-3-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-17 13:44
" it’s not subjective it’s quite simple"

We are going to have to agree to disagree.  Photography can be for purpose of documenting, or personal / family enjoyment, but when it comes to groups and public like images, photography like art is subjective.

That’s what I said the photography is subjective, but taking photographs with a drone camera is still in its essence photography in fact a lot of it is much better than handheld cameras and this is why many professional photographers use dji drones right from spark to inspire because they need them to take great photography which you consider as not photography.
2018-3-17
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's what I do, I end up with 4k photos.

but seriously why can't you preset the camera settings?
2018-3-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-17 14:09
That’s what I said the photography is subjective, but taking photographs with a drone camera is still in its essence photography in fact a lot of it is much better than handheld cameras and this is why many professional photographers use dji drones right from spark to inspire because they need them to take great photography which you consider as not photography.

"That’s what I said the photography is subjective, "

Here is what you said:
"Photography taking photographs and video with cameras that’s what photography is , it’s not subjective it’s quite simple,"

2018-3-17
Use props
Mavic air Robert
lvl.1
Flight distance : 81322 ft
New Zealand

CarloUK Posted at 2018-3-17 06:59

Actually it's not too bad the RAW files coming out of my Mavic air. Still not the same as my canon 1d, but not far off older low level DSLR camera models. I'd hate to think what the larger drone models with bigger sensors could do though!
2018-3-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-17 14:00
Your becoming more ridiculous now, this is about what photography is, I have a fixed lens Fuji 100A it has a fixed lens it’s a great camera, there are many cheaper Fuji cameras including throwaway ones are these not cameras that can take photographs which in turn is photography, I have seen many photographers using basic cameras to take great photography and have seen many amateur photographers with great cameras take some awful photography, photographers make great photography not cameras.

Aerial photography, it’s very similar to landscape photography, your not going to fly 300 metres up to get a photo of a bald head you can do that from the ground, but you can take many landscape aerial shots using a camera and a drone which you cannot with a handheld.

"You should try staying on the subject , you say taking photographs with fixed lens camera on a drone is Not photography, but you think taking photographs with equivalent type of camera Is photography."

You should quit maniuplating what was being discussed by dropping qualifying words.  What was being discussed was "real photography", not photography in general.
You also have ignored key part of what CarloUK said: "I don't think you can call any photo from a drone real photography. Just doesnt have the dynamic range of full sensor stuff."

2018-3-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-17 17:33
"That’s what I said the photography is subjective, "

Here is what you said:

some may like it some may not but it is still photography, that’s the subjective part of it.

You left out this part, your being subjective.

What does photography mean !

“The art or practice of taking and processing photographs”

What most drone users are doing around here, so don’t get caught up in semantics, maybe apologize to all those around here who do a good job posting their photography.
2018-3-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Mavic air Robert Posted at 2018-3-17 17:43
Actually it's not too bad the RAW files coming out of my Mavic air. Still not the same as my canon 1d, but not far off older low level DSLR camera models. I'd hate to think what the larger drone models with bigger sensors could do though!

Which Canon 1D do you have?

I used to own 1DS Mark iii.  Had a few Prosumer lens, couple of flashes, and rented the Professional lens when needed due to extreme cost.
2018-3-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-17 17:49
Which Canon 1D do you have?

I used to own 1DS Mark iii.  Had a few Prosumer lens, couple of flashes, and rented the Professional lens when needed due to extreme cost.

I have a FugiX-T2 a Fuji 100A, I also own an Osmo with X5 , I’m afraid only Cannon I own is a D70, I also have five drones, and fly a Matrice 600 for a aerial survey company which also uses an X5.

Not to sure why you ask such questions it really has nothing to do with what we were discussing.
2018-3-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-17 17:45
"You should try staying on the subject , you say taking photographs with fixed lens camera on a drone is Not photography, but you think taking photographs with equivalent type of camera Is photography."

You should quit maniuplating what was being discussed by dropping qualifying words.  What was being discussed was "real photography", not photography in general.

There is no difference between real photography and photography in general all photography is the same as I just mentioned.

“The art or practice of taking and processing photographs”
2018-3-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-17 17:46
some may like it some may not but it is still photography, that’s the subjective part of it.

You continue to conveniently drop the qualifier of "real".
Along with "dynamic range of full sensor" in regards to "real photography" comment.

Do you understand there is far more to image quality than camera's MP (Mega Pixels)?
2018-3-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-17 18:01
I have a FugiX-T2 a Fuji 100A, I also own an Osmo with X5 , I’m afraid only Cannon I own is a D70, I also have five drones, and fly a Matrice 600 for a aerial survey company which also uses an X5.

Not to sure why you ask such questions it really has nothing to do with what we were discussing.

I did not ask you.

My comment question and comment was to:  Mavic air Robert Posted at 2018-3-17 17:43
about his 1D.
2018-3-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-17 18:06
You continue to conveniently drop the qualifier of "real".
Along with "dynamic range of full sensor" in regards to "real photography" comment.

I understand photography and cameras very well you don’t have to explain , I also understand that which I have already explained and as Watchberger has that photography is more about the photographer than the equipment, sure we all know that graphic designers can make some of the worst photography look great they don’t need sensors.
2018-3-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-17 17:46

"maybe apologize to all those around here who do a good job posting their photography."

Now you are just playing games.  You are trying to get others to believe I was putting down their photography.  The discussion was about quality of drone attached cameras (aka Mavic), not about the people taking pictures..

2018-3-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-17 18:08
I did not ask you.

My comment question and comment was to:  Mavic air Robert Posted at 2018-3-17 17:43

I think maybe you should post some of your photographs I’m sure their amazing.

BTW Carlo mentioned drones but he is entirely wrong their are many drones more than well equipped to take photographs including Mavic Pro and Air P4 Pro inspire, his statement didn’t refer to any drone in particular, he just grouped them all together.
2018-3-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-17 18:17
"maybe apologize to all those around here who do a good job posting their photography."

Now you are just playing games.  You are trying to get others to believe I was putting down their photography.  The discussion was about quality of drone attached cameras (aka Mavic), not about the people taking pictures..

Yes and my point was that their are many really good photographers taking great photography with Mavic Pro / Air. If you want to discuss cameras that’s fine, but to imply that somehow taking photographs with a Mavic Pro is not real photography that’s another matter, and I think there are others here who felt the same way as I do.
2018-3-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-17 18:23
Yes and my point was that their are many really good photographers taking great photography with Mavic Pro / Air. If you want to discuss cameras that’s fine, but to imply that somehow taking photographs with a Mavic Pro is not real photography that’s another matter, and I think there are others here who felt the same way as I do.

I did not say that.
You are twisting things for purpose of Trolling.
I am done with you.
2018-3-17
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wish you could take photos and videos simultaneously - maybe  DJI will incorporate the capability in another firmware?
2018-3-17
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-3-17 03:52
Good points there - I often export stills from footage but sometimes it is good to properly line up a shot

I agree with that, which is why you really need to have a pre-flight camera plan that incorporates your overall camera strategy. If the capability of taking video and photos simultaneously existed then it's one less thing fliers have to concern themselves with and you can enjoy more on each flight.
2018-3-17
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-17 18:56
I agree with that, which is why you really need to have a pre-flight camera plan that incorporates your overall camera strategy. If the capability of taking video and photos simultaneously existed then it's one less thing fliers have to concern themselves with and you can enjoy more on each flight.

Not having a pre-flight plan that incorporates your camera strategy is just a recipe for not getting those really good shots either in video or pictures.

At the very least, DJI should incorporate a video editing software application inside the hard drive of drones that you can quickly use that is either Smart TV friendly or just requires you to plug in the drone to your computer and make the edits and pictures from the recorded video the drone had shot earlier?
2018-3-17
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sometimes I don't feel like switching back and fourth so I'll shoot all the video I want and then fly on another battery just for photos.

How to figure out how many batteries you need:
Divide the desired flight time by the average flight time your drones batteries will fly for. Buy twice as many, same as HD space.
2018-3-17
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-17 18:11
I understand photography and cameras very well you don’t have to explain , I also understand that which I have already explained and as Watchberger has that photography is more about the photographer than the equipment, sure we all know that graphic designers can make some of the worst photography look great they don’t need sensors.

You are correct there.....Its pretty astounding what one can do if they have the skills in programs like Photoshop.
2018-3-17
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39646480 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

ok, some practical questiin, my windows noutbook have a fhd screen and when i screenshoot frm mavic footage it goes fhd pictures. how to extracr 4k picture out of 4k mavic footage?
2018-3-18
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules