1733 18 2018-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hey all, have we got any further to solving the issue with the app saying GPS Weak when trying to set the homepoint as the pilot/device and getting Follow Me to work with the Mavic Pro?I'm running an iPhone six plus, all on the latest softwares and firmwares. When I try to use Follow me or set the homepoint I get weak GPS. I have done a little digging and can confirm my iPhone only gets a location accuracy at a minimum of 5m horisontally and 3m vertically. I think this may be because of the way the app receives GPS data from the API.
Either way, i would at least like to be able to set my homepoint to myself just incase I am moving around and the aircrafts original homepoint is no longer available.
2018-3-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I’ll have to try this when I next take the drone out!
2018-3-19
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-3-19 04:44
I’ll have to try this when I next take the drone out!

If you could that would be great. It could be that iOS 11 has caused this issue in the way it provides location data based on some of the things I have read so far.
I have tried all combinations of settings. i.e. turning off wifi, turning off cellular, turning off mobile data, airplane mode so it forces it to just use the GPS. All report the same 5m margin for error. I think the DJI app needs updating to work with the API to allow it to accept 5m or less margin. I think its set quite low, maybe 1-2m. Its crazy because the dot in my map, even with a 5m error margin is bang on where I am. Even inside the building I'm in now.
2018-3-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It resets perfectly when active tracking but yet to test the dynamic home point feature. I’ll head out again this Saturday and will let you know how I get on.
2018-3-19
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-3-19 05:01
It resets perfectly when active tracking but yet to test the dynamic home point feature. I’ll head out again this Saturday and will let you know how I get on.

What do you mean? It lets you set your phones location as the homepoint when using active track? If you swipe left on your screen you can set the homepoint to the pilot. This is whats not working. As well as being able to use Follow Me mode. Its just says Weak GPS.
What phone or device are you using?
2018-3-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

iPhone 7 Plus with the latest version of everything. I enabled dynamic homepoint for active tracking to set the HP to the drones licatikn every 20 seconds within the app but will have to test the main dynamic setting for my position when I fly next
2018-3-19
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-3-19 07:36
iPhone 7 Plus with the latest version of everything. I enabled dynamic homepoint for active tracking to set the HP to the drones licatikn every 20 seconds within the app but will have to test the main dynamic setting for my position when I fly next

Sorry, you must have misunderstood my issue. Dynamic homepoint is where the aircraft will update its own homepoint every fifteen meters. This is not the issue im having.
My issue is not being able to turn on follow me mode and have the aircraft follow the controller/phone nor be able to set my homepoint via the settings to the location of the controller/phone.
2018-3-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I see - well I’ll take a look at follow me too on the weekend
2018-3-19
Use props
mlamb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 140190 ft
United States

I have the same issue, cannot get follow me to work on my Mavic Pro(never have).  Samsung S8 phone.  I do not get an error or anything, I select the mode, hit okay, and it just hovers.  Does not try and track me or follow me.
2018-3-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mlamb Posted at 2018-3-19 08:32
I have the same issue, cannot get follow me to work on my Mavic Pro(never have).  Samsung S8 phone.  I do not get an error or anything, I select the mode, hit okay, and it just hovers.  Does not try and track me or follow me.

Follow me does not track you or follow you - it follows the device you are holding
2018-3-19
Use props
mlamb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 140190 ft
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-3-19 11:52
Follow me does not track you or follow you - it follows the device you are holding

When follow me is active(at least I think its active), I can walk away with the controller in hand, and the Mavic Pro stays in a perfect hover.
2018-3-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Then it’s not working for sure
2018-3-20
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Can you believe it. I went out today to do a bit of a practise run for some flying Ill be doing over the next few days and I thought I would give the Follow Me another go. It actually worked. I have been trying to get this working for ages and now it decides to actually work. It was able to track my phone and controller. I hope it works over the next few days because I want to use this to assist me but I don't feel like its reliable.
Go figure!
2018-3-20
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

It can help to set your phone location in gps only instead of gps/wifi and gsm input
2018-3-20
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jos A Posted at 2018-3-20 10:48
It can help to set your phone location in gps only instead of gps/wifi and gsm input

I have an iPhone, there is no settings for this. The only way to force it to use the GPS chipset is to put the phone in airplane mode so it can only use the GPS chipset.
2018-3-20
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

oke didn't no that thanks for the info
2018-3-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good to see it has started working again - strange how it stopped in the first place. I’ll still try it this weekend.
2018-3-20
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Its crazy, the only thing I can think of is that the iPhone GPS receiver isn't as sensitive as I thought. I understand it uses all the available sensors to determine its location however applications don't have direct access to this information. They have to request it via the API. The app can request a level of accuracy to this information and the api will talk to all the available sensors and deliver this information to the app. If the app requests accuracy that is outside of the available accuracy the API wont sent the app the information and it will show weak or no GPS information. I did notice the KP index when it was working was great and when it was a bit low I couldn't get it to work. I don't see it as a reliable setting though. I have had to learn to fly a combination of active track in spotlight and manually fly the Mavic Pro myself to get the shots i needed.
2018-3-22
Use props
djiuser_BJ8iHkelhMmI
lvl.1

Norway

The only way I was able to make the GPS follow me to work was in the Litchi app. In dji go 4 it was not possible to make it work. Mavic will not enter FM mode just stay in GPS hoover when I press apply. In Litchi follow me works perfect. I use Motorola G5 plus.
2018-3-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules