Jittering issue with IphoneX
11698 11 2018-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Janik
New

Germany

First of all, I know that such a threat already exists.
But I cannot believe that DJI does not notice this problem himself. When you walk with the O2 you will notice this little shakes. The stabilization is worse than by hand.

Last week I bought an OS2 and an IPhone X. After the first tests, I noticed this little shakes.

The OIS is turn off when Apple camera is not opened. So it is possible to turn OIS off.
I have filmed the lens with another IPhone X to see that OIS is not moving when apple camera app is closed and in the DJI GO app.
On the other hand you can see how the lens moves with open apple camera app.

In my opinion the lens cannot completely fixed. When OIS in the apple camera app is on the shakes are less than the DJI GO app.

The problem doesn’t exist while using the front camera.
At this point I expect a statement from DJI. It is not possible that this problem was overlooked in the test phase by DJI!

The Gimbal is workings fine with phones without OIS but I cannot understand how DJI and apple can recommend this device together.

2018-3-19
Use props
Mikolaj
lvl.3
Flight distance : 108471 ft
Poland

Do not expect any statement from DJI. The problem is known since OM1 was introduced long time back. And no offficial statement since that time. They “optimized” the issue in one of the previous versions of the app, but it doesn’t help much. I recommend you to return OM2 to the store.
2018-3-19
Use props
Janik
New

Germany

This guys are testing some gimbals.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XfIYAOMvHiQ

They use an IPhone X and the quality is amazing. I do not know how they did it but they used an osmo 1 and 2 in combination with an Iphone X.

I am really unhappy and I think it is very unprofessional to ignore such a mistake.
2018-3-19
Use props
JohnnieTheCache
lvl.4

Germany

The worst about it is that you get a glimpse of how amazing it could be to have a stabilization for iphone 8/X with its amazing camera and 4k60 video. Only it is not really working. What a disappointment.

Unfortunately the only ones who can fix it are the phone manufacturers. They must make an OIS that can be locked, like on DSLRs. Easy to do, but probably no market for this feature. Probably less than 1% of iphone buyers will get a gimbal.
2018-3-22
Use props
stefantimm
lvl.1

Germany

Janik Posted at 2018-3-19 06:06
This guys are testing some gimbals.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XfIYAOMvHiQ

Maybe they were able to remove it in post-production. Has anyone tried this?
2018-3-26
Use props
s m y r n a
lvl.2

United Kingdom

stefantimm Posted at 2018-3-26 00:00
Maybe they were able to remove it in post-production. Has anyone tried this?

The cameraman is on a skateboard & not walking/running, which obviously reduces the jittering/bobbing issue...
2018-3-26
Use props
TheFlush
lvl.1

Netherlands

I have been tinkering with my iPhone X to discover what gives the best results and this is what I've found out:  Go to the settings of your native camera app (you can find those in the general settings app of your iPhone) and switch the video recording mode of your native camera app to "4K at 60 fps (high efficiency".  If you use the native iPhone camera app of your iPhone X in combination with a gimbal it will dramatically reduce the wobble and jitter. It works way better than the filmic pro app for example. The downside is that you have less control over your video and you lack some of the functionality of the DJI app. Somehow at these settings something happens to the OIS/EIS combo of the camera that makes it more suitable to work with a gimbal.  Another solution to physically lock the OIS of your iPhone X is to use a small flat magnet and put in the top right corner of your screen. Try at your own risk though.
2018-5-6
Use props
TheFlush
lvl.1

Netherlands

I have made a simple video today with the settings I use to reduce jitter and wobble. As you can see, it's not perfect, but it's way less than what you usually get.

2018-5-6
Use props
djiuser_W5VL87Y10jyk
New

Netherlands

For an image to be optical or electronical stabilized, there needs to be room to crop and still maintain your selected image quality (i.e. 1080p). From my understanding the video is captured in a little more resolution than 1080p, leaving room to crop out jitter and wobble, and then you’ll be left with a stable 1080p image (using handheld). Filming in 4k on an iphone means there is no room for cropping, since the iphone can’t capure an image in a higher resolution. Therefore the OIS/EIS is disabled, leaving for a much smoother image on a gimbal compared to a video shot in 1080p. You can clearly see the difference in the gimbal comparison video somewhere in this thred (shot in 4k, whatever fps on iphone). Yes, 4k will eat your storage alive, but it’s the best option for next to no jitter/wobble with an iPhone and gimbal.
2018-6-3
Use props
fans2835d4d4
lvl.1
Germany

.. I found it slightly different. Indeed there is a difference - at least at my iPhone X - between 4K @ 30fps and 4K @ 60fps. With 30fps there is a certain image stabilization, with 60fps there is visibly less. I assume a combination of optical and electronical compensation with the electronical compensation switched off at 60fps for reasons of processor capability. I compared DJI Go with the iPhone stock app and Filmic Pro. I found my personal "ranking": The DJI Go is the worst in many points, no dual lenses support, no 4K @ 60fps at all, shaky videos. Stock app and Filmic Pro are rather close. Both offer dual lenses support and 60fps at 4K but stabilze best at 30fps. Both can start and stop video by the Osmo Mobile 2's video switch but do not react on the gimbals zoom switch. You need to zoom by wiping over the smartphone screen, and the Filmic Pro simply does this with a very good haptik. So my favorite combination is the Mobile 2 with the Filmic Pro App in 4K @ 30fps. In the gimbal's preferences I switched the panning to slow. The Filmic Pro would allow to switch off the stabilization but the result is better when keeping it switched on.
2018-6-3
Use props
amorrison
lvl.3
Flight distance : 325230 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can see the iPhone X's focus hunting when I view the videos on a large monitor - it looks a little like the jitter from OIS.  I wonder if anyone is confusing those two things? With Filmic Pro you can lock the focus of course to eliminate this, but I don't think you can do that with the native camera app. Edit: Yes you can lock with the native app too.
2018-8-13
Use props
Klaus W.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 118366 ft
Germany

After the recent realeases of IOS12 and DJI GO 3.1.47, today I did a quick comparison of several apps regarding jitter when using an iPhone XS on DJI Osmo Mobile:
Apple and FilMiC Pro are both jittery (4k/24, no matter if stabilization on or off in FilMiC)
DJI GO almost no jitter (4k/30).
2018-11-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules