What is your view on firmware updates?
1058 17 2018-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927185 ft
United States

I updated my spark until the Sphere came out.  Since then, I haven't seen a compelling reason to continue updating firmware.  My Spark flies great, and no new features have been added, although there are plenty of accounts of problems during/after updates.  

Do you update ASAP every time?  Never?  why?
2018-3-20
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I did the battery update, which came with .900, methinks.
Mainly because the App started to show 'update available' during flight, when I wanted to see my green GPS, instead of a red warning.
I understand that you meaning firmware, the software for the bird, not the Go4 APP, which ist 4.1.15 on my side!
Just the second on Droids with Spheres and the last with OTG in it
2018-3-20
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-3-20 09:28
I did the battery update, which came with .900, methinks.
Mainly because the App started to show 'update available' during flight, when I wanted to see my green GPS, instead of a red warning.
I understand that you meaning firmware, the software for the bird, not the Go4 APP, which ist 4.1.15 on my side!

If you put your phone in airplane mode or turn off cellular, you will not get these messages while flying

;)
2018-3-20
Use props
Solestacz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 489193 ft
United States

i have allowed all firmware and app updates. no symptoms/snags. i also gave in ultimately, and found a pawnshop ipad mini so i could use otg (eliminating the rationale for running the 4.1.15 app) - while the app is clearly happier in the ios enviro, i have not noted any gain in video transmission quality/reliability due to otg use.
2018-3-20
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer
United States

Solestacz Posted at 2018-3-20 09:50
i have allowed all firmware and app updates. no symptoms/snags. i also gave in ultimately, and found a pawnshop ipad mini so i could use otg (eliminating the rationale for running the 4.1.15 app) - while the app is clearly happier in the ios enviro, i have not noted any gain in video transmission quality/reliability due to otg use.

I'd like to get an ipad going with mine.  Do you have the special mount adapter thing or do you jam it into the remote mount?
2018-3-20
Use props
Arcobaleno Reborn
lvl.3

Philippines

Firmware updates are Good and bad

They are good= updating new features and compatibility

they are bad= they sometimes  provide errors to your drone
2018-3-20
Use props
idbl_fanatic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 509741 ft
United States

I did update as soon as they came out, until I started reading about the "compass error" and GPS lost
2018-3-20
Use props
Solestacz
lvl.4
United States

RobertWSimpson Posted at 2018-3-20 09:56
I'd like to get an ipad going with mine.  Do you have the special mount adapter thing or do you jam it into the remote mount?

i have a super-cheapie tablet adapter i find perfectly adequate. available via your amazon. having the larger screen down low in the grippers would just be too anti-ergo for me, forearms blocking screen, or wrists contorted to thumb the sticks. together with a sunshade, it's a right proper combo, imo.
2018-3-20
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer
United States

Arcobaleno Reborn Posted at 2018-3-20 12:03
Firmware updates are Good and bad

They are good= updating new features and compatibility

I haven't see any good reasons to update lately.
2018-3-20
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer
United States

idbl_fanatic Posted at 2018-3-20 12:19
I did update as soon as they came out, until I started reading about the "compass error" and GPS lost

indeed.  My stuff works right now, so I'm inclined to leave well enough alone!
2018-3-20
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer
United States

Solestacz Posted at 2018-3-20 12:24
i have a super-cheapie tablet adapter i find perfectly adequate. available via your amazon. having the larger screen down low in the grippers would just be too anti-ergo for me, forearms blocking screen, or wrists contorted to thumb the sticks. together with a sunshade, it's a right proper combo, imo.

oh yeah that sounds pretty good.  is it a lot of extra stuff to carry?
2018-3-20
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

I think the software guys do updates to jerk customers around.  Change a line or two of code and force millions to bow to you while getting the changes.  "Finished today?  Okay, here is another update we will push tomorrow."

I want the software to work for me not force me to work for it.  "You done reading?  Select Yes, for you are not done reading my post, or no, for you are done reading my post."  I won't let you just go back to the forum without doing my selection option.  
2018-3-20
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

RobertWSimpson Posted at 2018-3-20 09:48
If you put your phone in airplane mode or turn off cellular, you will not get these messages while flying

;)

You have to "hold" your phone in airplane mode, all the time the app is in use, to avoid this messages.
But I like my sat-view-map

Also: .900, batt updates, both working fine with 4.1.15 and cable
2018-3-20
Use props
The Bash's
lvl.4

United States

I do the updates whenever they pop up, but after reading this I am thinking maybe I shouldn't just be a duck.  I have been getting a lot of compass and GPS errors, as well as loss of signal alerts when it was 15-20 feet away from me hovering about 10 foot up.  
2018-3-20
Use props
dansmar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 422149 ft
United States

I am up to date on both firmware and software - for both iOS and Android

Iphone6s and xiaomi 5 - both working great currently iOS using the otg and the xiaomi using wifi.

Would prefer otg with the xiaomi as well
2018-3-20
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

RobertWSimpson Posted at 2018-3-20 09:56

If your tablet is 8 in. or less, no adapter is needed. The cutouts in the remote arms are to accommodate a 8 in, tablet.
2018-3-21
Use props
Solestacz
lvl.4
United States

RobertWSimpson Posted at 2018-3-20 12:48
oh yeah that sounds pretty good.  is it a lot of extra stuff to carry?

nope. tablets of course are flat - the sunshade folds flat, and the rc+tab-dapter can be left together and stowed in the small backpack i take "to the field".
2018-3-21
Use props
DutchBiker
lvl.1
Netherlands

If it works fine, don't update. I always check the forum after updates (to see how it affects others), but I haven't updated mine since OTG is not supported anymore for Android.  Too bad Litchi also does not support OTG for the Spark, else I'd leave DJI's software alone as they don't seem to care about their customers wishes.
2018-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules