Mavic Pro max distance ops
6740 18 2018-3-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mavic_Pilot73
lvl.1
Chile

Hi guys, thanks for reading.

I was thinking about the max distance to operates the MPro. I want to know how far can I operate my Mavic Pro without loss control of the drone or break link with the remote control.
mean max distance from my remote controller position and max altitude from the ground.

I really aprecciatte your comments and answers

Mavic_Pilot73
2018-3-22
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

"max distance from my remote controller position and max altitude from the ground"

The Max distance would be a vector, straight line between you and your drone.
I believe DJI mentions maximum transmission distance is 7Km (7,000 meters).
I am not sure anyone has managed to flight a Mavic Pro that far without having some transmission glitches towards Max.
You will see mention of 2Km (2,000 meters) by some drone Pilots.  In part due to city & urban interference.

However, there are numerous factors that could shorten that distance.  Interference from RF (cell, wifi, fm, am, tv stations, beacons, etc) transmitters in area.  Along with rain, snow, lightening storms, and solar storms.

DJI has stated you must make sure antenna side of your Remote control is towards the drone.  
Nothing should block those two antennas, parts of your body, or mounted tablet.

2018-3-22
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi there, kindly please check the specs of the Mavic pro from the website: https://www.dji.com/mavic/info#specs, thanks!

2018-3-22
Use props
Mavic_Pilot73
lvl.1
Chile

Thanks HedgeTrimmer and DJI Diana for your comments and useful information.
2018-3-23
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

my sweet spot for uninterupted (generally) range is 2.5km - 3km. i live in a small town and fly over areas like lagoon and hill tops. signal dropouts are too frightening so i am happy to stay within my safe range. note that the further you go the higher you should be (generally speaking) because trees and structures can come into LOS more easily the further the drone is away. i find that at 2km out i like to be about at least 50m up. if i dip below then i would expect signal to degrade. When i do get week signal the first thing i always do is climb altitude. to date that always gets my signal back when i am far away -
2018-3-23
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-3-23 05:37
my sweet spot for uninterupted (generally) range is 2.5km - 3km. i live in a small town and fly over areas like lagoon and hill tops. signal dropouts are too frightening so i am happy to stay within my safe range. note that the further you go the higher you should be (generally speaking) because trees and structures can come into LOS more easily the further the drone is away. i find that at 2km out i like to be about at least 50m up. if i dip below then i would expect signal to degrade. When i do get week signal the first thing i always do is climb altitude. to date that always gets my signal back when i am far away -

Good Advice
2018-3-23
Use props
MFPullen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6257444 ft
  • >>>
United States

In urban areas I will get 1.5-2km at an average 80-100m.  When in rural areas or over water I average 4-6km at 50-100m.  I get a lot of radio / electronic interference which cuts down my distances in urban areas.
2018-3-25
Use props
Mavic_Pilot73
lvl.1
Chile

MFPullen Posted at 2018-3-25 15:00
In urban areas I will get 1.5-2km at an average 80-100m.  When in rural areas or over water I average 4-6km at 50-100m.  I get a lot of radio / electronic interference which cuts down my distances in urban areas.

thanks for the numbers.
2018-3-26
Use props
Uwe Schulze
New
Flight distance : 459022 ft
China

I made on sea side a max distance of 3km. But from my point of view more distance doesn’t make sense. I had to fly to there and come back. So in fact the battery is also limiting the distance.
2018-3-26
Use props
Mavic_Pilot73
lvl.1
Chile

Uwe Schulze Posted at 2018-3-26 05:07
I made on sea side a max distance of 3km. But from my point of view more distance doesn’t make sense. I had to fly to there and come back. So in fact the battery is also limiting the distance.

thanks dude, what about the altitude? how high can you flew the drone and come back without problems?
2018-3-26
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39646480 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I manage (out of curiosity) to confirm DJI statment for 7 km - the problem is Battery life instead of signal quality

14519.jpg
2018-3-26
Use props
Mavic_Pilot73
lvl.1
Chile

alex_markov Posted at 2018-3-26 06:30
I manage (out of curiosity) to confirm DJI statment for 7 km - the problem is Battery life instead of signal quality

wow! It looks like a great distance to bring it the mavic Pro and return safe! I guess that you were using the sport mode or you had to change some value in the app to reach altitude speed and distance?
2018-3-26
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39646480 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Mavic_Pilot73 Posted at 2018-3-26 06:39
wow! It looks like a great distance to bring it the mavic Pro and return safe! I guess that you were using the sport mode or you had to change some value in the app to reach altitude speed and distance?

No, no sports mode, only disable sensors in order to reach 51 km/h, no wind, no climb, no obstacles and interferences (thou at the end I climbed a little to avoid a hill ) and on return did a go around a wood just to be safe if he decided to land out of battery
2018-3-26
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10411017 ft
Canada

so far my top distance is 4.941 metres which equals to 3.07 miles
2018-3-26
Use props
Mavic_Pilot73
lvl.1
Chile

Picanoc Jack Posted at 2018-3-26 09:13
so far my top distance is 4.941 metres which equals to 3.07 miles

thanks! I saw that you use a landing gear extensions the distance or signal has been affected by this device?
2018-3-26
Use props
MFPullen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6257444 ft
  • >>>
United States

So true....battery and weather are you two big limiting factors.  That is one reason Ilike flying over the ocean.  99% of the time your return flight is with the wind...saves you the worry of intermittent gusts slowing you down to where you might not make it back.
2018-3-26
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

My son and I both flew over 4 miles round trip and had a surprising amount of battery left when we got back.  Simple flight out 2+ miles, U turn, return.  Played around locally when we got back and landed with over 30% left in the batteries.  No sports mode.
2018-3-26
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10411017 ft
Canada

Mavic_Pilot73 Posted at 2018-3-26 09:26
thanks! I saw that you use a landing gear extensions the distance or signal has been affected by this device?

I really don't know, I will try without the landing gear and see if it makes any difference.
2018-3-26
Use props
Altech
Second Officer
Flight distance : 808091 ft
Australia

4.5 away
Hi guys, I done 9 kms round trip no problems as shown below regards Alex

https://forum.dji.com/thread-131406-1-1.html
2018-3-26
Use props
Advanced